Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2017 12:45:04 AM EDT
So I have a Yaesu FT-60 and an old iPhone 4 that I am not using. (No cell plan) and the iPhone app Pocket Packet.  

In order to transmit from the phone to the FT-60, I will need a cord to connect the two.  I know next to nothing about digital modes and packet radio.  Can I just connect a stereo mini jack from the iPhone to the Ft-60 or do I need a TNC thingy? What is a TNC?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Pocket Packet includes a software TNC. All you would need is a cable to connect the trrs from the iPhone to the mic and speaker on the radio, then configure VOX and you're in business.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure the FT-60 has VOX settings.  I looked but didn't see any in my manual.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]
So it looks like I will need some sort of external vox control.  Does anybody make such a thing?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Easy Digi for iphone on Ebay

It's advertised as a psk interface but it may work with an aprs app.
I've never used one so this is not an endorsement by an means.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.mobilinkd.com/tnc2/
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The mobilinkd is a great piece of gear and I love mine, but it will NOT work with the iphone.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
So I am considering changing direction with this project.  Looks like I could purchase a new Baofeng UV-5r and hook it directly to my iphone a lot cheaper than it would cost to set up the FT-60r.   Because the Baofeng has built in VOX as far as I understand.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]
link 1

link 2

APRS cable
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The APRS cable Wolverine referenced works nicely!   I picked one up & put APRSDROID on my S5.   I connected it to a UV-B5 which was connected to the Tram-1480 @ about 30' AGL.   Set the radio to 144.390 and cranked the app.  Started picking up entries right away.  Got my position out via radio with the VOX set to 5. Initial received position info was originating out to 30 miles or so, but later started seeing stuff from 100+ miles.

Best I can tell, my position signal was picked up by one Igate about 18 miles out and another at about 35 miles.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my UV-5r and cable today.  Only had a few minutes to play around with it, but so far it seems that pocket packet on my iPhone activates VOX but then it never quits transmitting.  I have to shut off the radio to get it to quit. Hopefully when I have more time I can figure out why
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got my UV-5r and cable today.  Only had a few minutes to play around with it, but so far it seems that pocket packet on my iPhone activates VOX but then it never quits transmitting.  I have to shut off the radio to get it to quit. Hopefully when I have more time I can figure out why
View Quote
There may be  stray rf on the cable connecting the phone and radio. A clamp on torroid should fix that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There may be  stray rf on the cable connecting the phone and radio. A clamp on torroid should fix that.
View Quote
I got it figured out now. The cable was wired wrong for my phone but came with an adaptor that fixed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top