Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2017 8:23:26 AM EDT
A nice gentleman at the local radio club has two radios I can choose from (and afford). An Icom 718 or a Yaesu FT-450 (non D model). Either one for $400.

I used a borrowed 718 for a couple of months but it has gone back home now and I want to get my own radio. Anyone have experience with both radios? What would be reasons to pick one over the other?

I intend to use SSB voice for the most part but will probably get a Signalink in the next several months and try the digital modes.

All thoughts welcome. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to eham lots of reviews there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
For a first radio you will be fine with whichever one.  They are both good units.  I like yaesu radios, but a non D 450 and ic718 are pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Been using an IC-718 for years now, and have had no issues with it.  I am not a contest chaser so I am not on it every weekend.  Used it with the Signalink and also a PTC USB modem.  

Bill

ETA: $400.00 is a good deal.  Initially they sold for $499. and have since gone up to almost $700.00.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
$400 for a IC-718 is a great deal. I love mine and have enjoyed all kinds of great DX with it. Use mine for SSB and digital modes, although mostly JT65 and JT9 these days. I use the signalink and everything works like a charm. Only other think you are going to watch is a tuner...I used both auto and manual tuners....either will work, really just a matter of what specific functions you want.

If you have any specific questions about the 718 don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or ask here in the thread.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a first radio you will be fine with whichever one.  They are both good units.  I like yaesu radios, but a non D 450 and ic718 are pretty much the same.
View Quote

The FT-450 offers two things above and beyond the 718 - FM and 6 meters.  

The Antenna tuner for the FT-450 is under $100 (though I'd rather pick up an external tuner for that money)
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
FT-450 is far superior to IC-718. It has a much better receiver and a lot more features than IC-718. While both radios are considered as entry class radios, FT-450 offers major features found on many top of the line radios.
The display on the 450 is a lot larger and easy on your eyes if you are far sighted.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a 450 after a lightning strike ate my 840............that 40 was used as a back up to the 847..........frankly, the 450's receiver in my opinion is far more sensitive than the old 40 was and I believe it shades the 847.......all on the same antenna.

As some one mentioned, that 450 does have more options.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies. I went with the 718. For $450 I got the radio, hand mic and power cord, LDG IT-100 tuner and a adapter to let me use a headset and ptt switch if I want to. Tried everything and works great. He didn't have an extra cable for the tuner to radio so I ordered one at HRO. Nice little setup and I am familiar with using it so I will be on the air in a couple of days when the cable comes in. Even more important, I have an experienced Elmer that is only a phone call away.

Hope to meet some of you on air in the future !
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats!
Just remember that a good antenna makes up 90% of a good ham radio station. A resonant antenna is always preferred if you can afford it and have enough space for it.
Also remember that antenna tuners are made to match antenna impedance to your radio's output. Having a tuner match a  non resonant antenna with 30:1 SWR, does not mean your antenna is working well. You'd be lucky to radiate several watts out of 100W. Everything else will be lost. Tuners are good for trimming SWR of around 3:1 or less, and not for tuning a lawn chair as an antenna. A dummy load exhibits a perfect 1:1 SWR but does not radiate much.
Just remember not to get carried away with a tuner, thinking that as long as it tunes, it's good to go. Many new hams get a false sense of good antenna performance because they buy tuners capable of tuning just about anything. This is wrong.

Good luck with your new radio. Don't hesitate to ask any questions here. There are no dumb questions but dumb answers. There are a lot of good guys on this forum, with a wealth of knowledge on just about any ham radio related subject. We all learn from each other.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#10]
CW on HF is a lot of fun too! (once you learn it!)

welcome to the hobby!

Poole
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]
That sounds like a great deal!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top