Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2017 2:29:16 AM EDT
Well, this seems pretty cool:  Bayou Jumper

40m, ~$80, kit, CW, regenerative receiver (something new to me), reminiscent of WWII radios dropped behind enemy lines by parachute.

If I get a BITX40, I'll have to get a 40m antenna and General License.  If I get this, I'll also have to learn Morse Code!

But very cool.  Several Youtube videos.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
That would be a very nice project! Besides having a viable transceiver, the education and experience gained by building it would be worth many times the cost.

An additional bonus is the 5 Watts "QRP full-gallon" output. Most kits are in the 1-2 Watt range.

Crystals are available from www.af4k.com

There is a severe shortage of good entry-level kits available these days. It's encouraging to see something like this on the market.

Here's the "spy radio" the writer refers to: http://www.qsl.net/ik0moz/paraset_eng.htm. It's essentially what most entry level hams were building back in the immediate pre-WWII years, a two stage regenerative receiver and a one tube crystal controlled transmitter.

As for the license, Technicians have CW-only privileges in the 3.525-3.600, 7.025-7.125, and 21.025-21.200 segments of the HF spectrum.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I purchased one of the Bayou Jumper kits, it's quite nice and easy to assemble. Mine fired right up after assembly, but was receiving far above the 40 meter band. There is an active Yahoo group for this kit, and they are most helpful. With a suggestion from the group, I soon had mine receiving in the proper frequency range. Regrettably, I caused some additional issues while tweaking my kit, so I'm waiting for replacement parts.  

I'm SLOWLY putting together parts for a proper Paraset build, and hope to start on that someday soon.

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#3]
As I recall, one of the online reviewers had a problem with the frequency being out of range.  He had to install the optional capacitor, C31 I think, to get it into range.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's the "spy radio"
View Quote

Very interesting!

Thanks for the link to crystals.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#5]
From the link:

"Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear" and build the Bayou Jumper. The name "Bayou Jumper" is a play on "Ocean Hopper", a famous regenerative receiver of a bygone era. It retains that great retro look but with modernized circuitry. 

Look what I haz:

Built by my dad in 1967.

It need to be re-capped, which a coworker has offered to do for me. I suck at soldering.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a nice radio.  Would be a fun kit to build.

And Dave, that Ocean Hopper is a very nice keepsake.  Definitely get it up and running.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the link:

"Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear" and build the Bayou Jumper. The name "Bayou Jumper" is a play on "Ocean Hopper", a famous regenerative receiver of a bygone era. It retains that great retro look but with modernized circuitry. 

Look what I haz:

http://www.flintlock.org/pics/var/albums/Knight_Ocean_Hopper/Knight_Ocean_Hopper.jpg?m=1341188669

Built by my dad in 1967.

It need to be re-capped, which a coworker has offered to do for me. I suck at soldering.
View Quote

Very nice!

Checl out this article on a "Hopper" restoration: http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/oHopper.htm
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]
In its original application as a behind the lines spy radio, does anybody know what the operator used for an antenna?  Seems like 40m operation would limit your stealth options.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, if you believe Wikipedia, WWII Norwegian resistance operative Torstein Raaby found a particularly convenient antenna for some of his operations:

"Raaby was born in Dverberg, Vesterålen. During World War II he became a Secret Intelligence Service officer, having entered training in 1943.[1] He spent ten months in hiding in the village of Alta, sending detailed reports on German warships and their radar installations to England via a hidden radio set surreptitiously connected to the antenna of a German officer. His reports were instrumental helping the RAF to find and permanently disable the battleship Tirpitz. For that and other undercover operations during the war, Raaby was awarded Norway's highest decoration for military gallantry, the War Cross with sword in 1944. Raaby held the rank of Second Lieutenant (Fenrik)."

Now that's pretty bold! Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In its original application as a behind the lines spy radio, does anybody know what the operator used for an antenna?  Seems like 40m operation would limit your stealth options.
View Quote

Mostly an end-fed thin wire as long and as high as possible, sometimes around the ceiling, into the attic if possible. The house wiring served as the counterpoise.

The Secret Wireless War goes into great detail about MI6 Bletchley Park operations and the agents and equipment they sent into the field.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This really needs a built in antenna tuner for end fed ops + a counterpoise of course. A keyer like the Pico kit would be a great add on too.
Rob
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The Yahoo group for the Bayou Jumper (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BayouJumper/info), is a public group, so anyone can scan the conversations and files there.

Much discussion has been made of adding accessory keyers, sidetone generators, etc.    Jim...
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Hit.

I hate you guys.
I dont know CW yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:55:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I hate you guys.
I dont know CW yet.
View Quote

This is really embarrassing to admit, but you have no reason to hate me... yet! But I'm working on it!  
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hit.

I hate you guys.
I dont know CW yet.
View Quote

That's easily fixed. It's not rocket surgery, but, like learning to shoot properly, does require practice and persistence.
Click here for some hints and some links to CW training programs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I talked to Joe yesterday and mentioned this rig. He said he has a review of this will be out in QST next month.
So. I figured that I would go ahead and pull the trigger on this one before the four state QRP group get busy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm dragging this to the top to show off my Bayou Jumper. It's all but completed now, just waiting on some Terry clips from old Blighty to store the tubes in the lid as did the originals. I couldn't resist the Bayou Jumper kit when I learned of it, but before it ever arrived, I wondered if it might be possible to make it a bit more like the original Whaddon MK VII "Paraset."

The tubes are of course non-functional, but the aerial and tank indicator lamps do work when the built in key is depressed. Dome headed, brass, straight slot screws (all slots turned properly in line!) and a vintage tuning dial add to the effect.

Some of the builders of these choose to put little travel stickers on the outside of the box. That idea didn't appeal, but I saw an old Norwegian anchovy can label that I liked, so I laminated that to the top of the wee box for camouflage.

Now I just have to hope I don't come across some Gestapo officer who craves anchovies!

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Well sumbitch. Jim Giammanco N5IB is a local club member who Elmers me in my homebrew projects. I've held the prototype and never thought he'd go national with it. He gave a talk at FDIM at Dayton about his rig and obviously the 4SQRP decided to go with it. Cool, way cool.

Here some info from his website of the TX and RX prototype.
http://www.n5ib.net/Tuna%20Tiny%20Spy%20Radio%20transmitter%20overview.pdf
http://www.n5ib.net/Sauteur%20de%20Bayou%20Overview.pdf
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#19]
How fortunate you are to know Jim! I had some trouble with my kit, and he was remarkably patient and helpful. I really enjoyed "meeting" him.

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Read Jean Le Carre's "The Looking Glass War". This type, if not the exact same radio, is utilized in it. Very interesting read, with some quirky terms like "earth" instead of "ground".
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks, I'll add that to the reading list.

Finally obtained a copy of, and am reading, "Two Eggs On My Plate." Also just finished "Between Silk And Cyanide." The latter is VERY good. Not an out in the field operational story, but a look behind the scenes at devising systems of codes for field operators and the constant battle to determine which agents may have been captured and which transmissions to trust.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Two more good ones:
http://www.arrl.org/shop/The-Secret-Wireless-War/

http://www.arrl.org/shop/Inside-Enigma/

"Inside Enigma" goes into great detail about how the Enigma Machine was made and used.

This Enigma Emulator program is interesting to play with. It not only encrypts and decrypts messages, it shows the signal path through the Enigma rotors and how the path changes with each letter typed in: http://enigmaco.de/enigma/enigma.html

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How fortunate you are to know Jim! I had some trouble with my kit, and he was remarkably patient and helpful. I really enjoyed "meeting" him.

Cheers...   Jim
View Quote
Patience he has got. He will work though a concept from different angles until you get it. Probably comes from being a physics professor at LSU (retired).

When he gives talks at the club meetings he has the ability to take complex subjects and breaks it down so that a 'tard like me can understand it. He then builds on that and takes you to the next level. Those kind of people in the ham community are rare.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I got the resistors on the board today.

03/28: Semiconductors on.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Caps on board 4/4.
Note: Those caps are tiny. The numbers are even more fun. I used a jewelers loupe to identify.  The last cap doesn't get populated quite yet.

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#26]
What are you using to hold the circuit card while you solder ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:40:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Otar-

I like your fixture for holding the board. That would have been VERY handy! I did check the tiny designators on those caps, but I also verified them with my $20 Amazon capacitance meter. "Belt and suspenders" approach, I guess.

I don't know if you are following the Bayou Jumper Yahoo group, but there has been some discussion of adding one turn (20 rather than 19) to the toroid to improve the odds of having the receive frequency in the right range. It may indeed not be necessary, but it would be easier to remove one turn than to add one later. Make your own decision on the wisdom of this.

I managed to short U1, the headphone amp, and later had to swap out Q2 to get proper function. I purchased backup parts for all of the semi-conductors, so if you happen to need something, send me a message and I'll shoot it out to you.

While troubleshooting, I shorted U1 with that bare buss wire on the headphone jack. I later replaced that with some No. 26 insulated wire (on the key jack too), which was a better choice.

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What are you using to hold the circuit card while you solder ?
View Quote
I'm using a board holder from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q2TTQEE?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Its so much easier to build using one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Otar-

I like your fixture for holding the board. That would have been VERY handy! I did check the tiny designators on those caps, but I also verified them with my $20 Amazon capacitance meter. "Belt and suspenders approach, I guess.

I don't know if you are following the Bayou Jumper Yahoo group, but there has been some discussion of adding one turn (20 rather than 19) to the torrid to improve the odds of having the receive frequency in the right range. It may indeed not be necessary, but it would be easier to remove one turn than to add one later. Make your own decision on the wisdom of this.

I managed to short U1, the headphone amp, and later had to swap out Q2 to get proper function. I purchased backup parts for all of the semi-conductors, so if you happen to need something, send me a message and I'll shoot it out to you.

While troubleshooting, I shorted U1 with that bare buss wire on the headphone jack. I later replaced that with some No. 26 insulated wire (on the key jack too), which was a better choice.

Cheers...   Jim
View Quote
I probably should join the yahoo group and see whats going on along with updates. I'll do that tonight.
As for testing the components, I'm testing all the components and noting values on the build sheet with my Amazon transistor tester. I like that it does way more than transistors. Resistors, inductors, caps... Last night when I tested out the Al electrolytic's it told me the ESR and Vloss, in addition to the nf.
And, good tip on the buss wire for the headphone jacks. I'm not there yet, but I will call an audible and use insulated wire on all those. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I probably should join the yahoo group and see whats going on along with updates. I'll do that tonight.
As for testing the components, I'm testing all the components and noting values on the build sheet with my Amazon transistor tester. I like that it does way more than transistors. Resistors, inductors, caps... Last night when I tested out the Al electrolytic's it told me the ESR and Vloss, in addition to the nf.
And, good tip on the buss wire for the headphone jacks. I'm not there yet, but I will call an audible and use insulated wire on all those. Thanks!
View Quote
What is the component tester you're using?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What is the component tester you're using?
View Quote
amazon again

I've got one that I built, but this off the shelf unit does more and tells more.
So far its just a bench unit. I haven't bothered to locate a case housing for it yet.
Its a must have for my bench.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey, that's neat! Does it test inductors?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
According to the spec's it does. I went looking through my parts pile and didnt see any to test it out on.

eta:

Specifications:

Test ranges: Inductors, capacitors , diodes, dual diode , mos, transistor, SCR , the regulator, LED tube , ESR, Resistance,Adjustable potentiometer
Resistance: 0.1 ohm resolution, maximum 50M ohm
Capacitor: 25pf -100,000 uf
Inductors: 0.01mh-20H
I'm not entirely sure, but I think if I let it talk to the coffee pot, it would probably do a custom brew profile also.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Deleting this post...
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Also just finished "Between Silk And Cyanide." The latter is VERY good
View Quote
The author of Cyanide relates how he suspected a German officer named Hermann Giskes of having caught the entire Dutch encoder group working for the Allies, and about the author's efforts to prove the Dutch were all under German control.

Hermann Giskes wrote his own book about the same period and events, from his view, called London Calling North Pole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top