Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2017 7:28:19 PM EDT
a guy at work got a super bright laser pointer. like uber bright. anywho, he says he's going to try to attach it to a transmitter and see if he can transmit cw, then voice.  His concern is finding a photocell sensitive enough to work at distance.

discuss.

ETA: he said something about trying IR also
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
a guy at work got a super bright laser pointer. like uber bright. anywho, he says he's going to try to attach it to a transmitter and see if he can transmit cw, then voice.  His concern is finding a photocell sensitive enough to work at distance.

discuss.
View Quote

Define "at distance".

Sensitivity should not be a problem, as there is very little attenuation of laser light over distance.

I seem to recall that people were doing this 60+ years ago with flashlights, just as a point of interest.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
CW shouldn't be a problem as it's just on or off. Voice is another matter as you would have to modulate the light source (laser) somehow unless you convert the audio to a digital signal then transmit the digital signal with the laser. Then you will need a way to turn the digital signal back into an analog signal to hear it on the receiving end.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Live video over plain old beams of light and at a pretty good bandwidth was transmitted at least 40 years.

meh
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the above, fun tinkering but he isn't doing anything new.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
A signal man aboard LST-782 sends a message off the coast of Iwo Jima, Japan dur...HD Stock Footage
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Two of us transmitted music back in the early '60s using a pilot lamp (no lasers back then) and a vacuum tube photocell. IRC our distance was about 50 feet. We used lenses to concentrate the beam at both the transmitter and receiver. The ambient light de-sensed the photocell, so we used a long focal length lens and blackened tube at the receiver. The frequency response sucked because of the thermal mass of the lamp, but you wouldn't have this problem with a laser.

For CW, you'd probably have better luck if you modulated the beam with a tone, in effect creating an MCW carrier.

IIRC, there have been a couple of articles in QST by hams doing this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
.....Wuthering Heights via Semaphore Flags, anyone?

https://youtu.be/kqiUGjghlzU?t=1m3s (guess standard members can't tag youtube vids)
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
My first thought was this old video I have always wanted to try.

Weekend Project: Make a Simple Laser Communicator

I was talking to some guys in the commercial microwave market that are using laser based radios in NYC for stock trading communications. Their example was "wireless fiberoptic" of course atmospherics play a big part and it is true line of sight, it got some really impressive speeds and latency numbers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]
What if there is a mountain between the transmitting and the receiving stations?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What if there is a mountain between the transmitting and the receiving stations?
View Quote

I'm a telephone guy, with very limited uhf stuff.

but i'd guess it wont work, like all LOS
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]
This sounds like a job for the Navy.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same way all other LOS comms would

OP

True or not just wrap your head around this subject. True nerd radio

Quantum Satellite
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#13]
This has been done for a while. The hams doing it prefer LEDs and not lasers.

Check out KA7OEI's optical page.

95 mile QSO's on a 50W red LED is pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
If he buys lab type lasers I should think most have a modulation input/output.  The ones we played with in college did and that was 30 years ago.

It was fun listening to other classes lectures with the reflections off their windows.

The LED thing is very interesting, I may have to pick up some cheap IR LEDs to play with this with.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
If the laser happens to be at a wavelength that is popular for fiber comms, then there'll be a crapload of optimally sensitive receivers available.  If not, well then some interpolation and experimentation may be required.

Naturally, gain at the receiver "antenna" end is good - that means lenses /  telescope.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CW shouldn't be a problem as it's just on or off. Voice is another matter as you would have to modulate the light source (laser) somehow unless you convert the audio to a digital signal then transmit the digital signal with the laser. Then you will need a way to turn the digital signal back into an analog signal to hear it on the receiving end.
View Quote

I've modulated the power supply to a cheap laser pointer by putting an audio isolation transformer in series with the battery, then connecting to an audio source. Crude, but it works.

ETA, I see that youtube has me beat. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If the laser happens to be at a wavelength that is popular for fiber comms, then there'll be a crapload of optimally sensitive receivers available. If not, well then some interpolation and experimentation may be required.
View Quote

Saying Ubiquiti may have coined the term AirFiber too soon?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:44:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cloud reflection, dude!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You give a guy one of these and put him on top the mountain.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You give a guy one of these and put him on top the mountain.

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/198/198617.jpg
View Quote

I just put one of those in my boat yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I agree with the above, fun tinkering but he isn't doing anything new.
View Quote

The photophone is a telecommunications device that allowed for the transmission of speech on a beam of light. It was invented jointly by Alexander Graham Bell and his assistant Charles Sumner Tainter on February 19, 1880, at Bell's laboratory at 1325 L Street in Washington, D.C.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, nothing new but a fun experiment. During the cold war spies used IR laser "radios" to talk to each other LOS.

Can't remember the company now, but there are a few who are making two-way IR laser radios still.

Years ago using free space lasers was an "easy" way to create a data link between two sites.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top