Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 11:01:02 PM EDT
I found a set of DC ears at a garage sale.  They had an RJ9 connector on the end.  Tore apart an old phone handset, got the female connector, a few minutes on the soldering iron, PRESTO!!!

Just worked K7MX in Florida from Culpeper, VA.  Homespun dipole fed with twinlead!  First HF contact in a long time. (Been mainly digital for my short ham career...)

They sound just like David Clarks; Crisp, easily copyable, but not exactly "broadcast quality".  

Wasn't there another arfcommer that was rocking DCs?

EDIT:  Yeah, it is sloppy.  I will clean it up tomorrow and get some shrink wrap over it...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a few of them…setup for HT600's. They need to be rebuilt though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Wasn't there another arfcommer that was rocking DCs?
View Quote

My 7200 is, ah... DC green!  

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

CARC 383 nice...
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I got a nice DC Clark aviation set sitting in my flight bag. I have not flown in a long time and doubt I'll be able to fly again.
The DC Clark was an expensive headset. It is comfortable but provides more noise isolation than I need in my shack.  My Heil ProSet is a lot more comfortable and is better tailored for ham radio applications. I also prefer dynamic microphones like the one in Heil headset.
How do you like your DC Clark when compared to Heil and similar headsets? Have you done any side by side testing?
I believe the DC Clark uses a condenser microphone. It won't be compatible with Yaesu and Kenwood (possibly some Icoms) HF radios unless a powered adapter is used to supply power to the microphone. A DC blocking capacitor inline with the microphone input will also be required with those radios.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have several aviation headsets from my flying days, couple are Dave Clarks- lips mics with LED and IR LEDs....

I found a David Clark interface for my GE Ericsson Orion radios.  And even though I have several headsets, I still paid $40 for a one-earcup set off craigslist for use in the vehicle.  I get good reports with them, and I can hear the radio over the roar of the diesel a lot better.  Yeah, it looks pretty geeky to be driving down the road in a M1009 with a headset on.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have several aviation headsets from my flying days, couple are Dave Clarks- lips mics with LED and IR LEDs....

I found a David Clark interface for my GE Ericsson Orion radios.  And even though I have several headsets, I still paid $40 for a one-earcup set off craigslist for use in the vehicle.  I get good reports with them, and I can hear the radio over the roar of the diesel a lot better.  Yeah, it looks pretty geeky to be driving down the road in a M1009 with a headset on.
View Quote

Child Isolation…why I keep it in the pickup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Child Isolation…why I keep it in the pickup.
View Quote
lol that's awesome!

I was worried the cops (especially on base) would give me grief if both my ears were covered.  That's why I wanted a single earcup version.

This is the interface.  It has the plug on top, volume knob on the bottom, and a PTT on the side.  There's some sort of electronics magic hidden in the hollow of the coil cord.  There's also a belt clip on the back that I clip to the seat belt when I'm driving.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
lol that's awesome!

I was worried the cops (especially on base) would give me grief if both my ears were covered.  That's why I wanted a single earcup version.

This is the interface.  It has the plug on top, volume knob on the bottom, and a PTT on the side.  There's some sort of electronics magic hidden in the hollow of the coil cord.  There's also a belt clip on the back that I clip to the seat belt when I'm driving.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/DAVES-153202.JPG
View Quote

Yea, I've got one or two for HT600's. I just need to rebuild them for XTS/Jedi/5100's with some stuff I have laying about. Though about potentially interfacing to something like my Astro's (which are all W3 high powers) but I haven't gotten that far yet (it would be easer to interface to a X10DR).
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is because you are getting ready for St. Patrick's Day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#10]
New question:  Do I need a capacitor in line with the mic?

I guess I can easily take my prototype apart and breadboard it.  Problem will be getting someoene patient enough to give me a signal report...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top