Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2017 12:33:33 AM EDT
Got a "nastygram" e-mail from an Italian f*cker operator saying that I never confirmed any contacts on LOTW. I did not know it was mandatory.
Some people take this hobby way too seriously. I don't keep a computer log and have no interest in doing it. I prefer to use a paper log because it does not distract me from operating my radios and I always like to write notes when I feel like it.
What's wrong with these people?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually get my QSOs logged within minutes on eQSL and QRZ individually then I dump QRZ electronically into into LoTW.  I'm working on auto dump from eQSL to QRZ which will save time.

I just do it as a courtesy to the other operator.  I like mine confirmed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I use LOTW, eQSL, and cards. I don't use QRZ.  Electronic logs are easier for me b/c thats how I roll... YMMV.

I have far more returns on eQSL than others but I've also had a lot of bogus contacts.

I like LOTW for ARRL awards but a lot of DX bubbas don't use it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
F*ck that f*cking f*cker. Logging a QSO/QSL/SWL is a courtesy, not a requirement. I understand that some people take this more seriously than others, but it is not a requirement. I'll do my best to verify logs in a timely fashion, but this individual would likely disappear from my logs.

Some folks don't like electronic logs, and that's their prerogative. I logged a station yesterday, on a remote island off Africa, that refuses to do E-logs. He'll gladly send you a card with a SASE and a few bucks for postage. I see absolutely no problem with this.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#4]
My QRZ profile states plainly that I only QSL VIA bureau or SASE.

I've gotten several e-mails about my "accounts" being loaded with requests for QSLs. I replied that they should just dump them and close my unauthorized "account". I haven't heard anything from them for a couple of years so I guess they did what I asked.

I was gung-ho about QSLs during my Novice and first few years of General. After that, it became too expensive and too much of a PITA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Screw 'em.

Put a note on your QRZ page that you only QSL by mail, and tough shit if they don't like it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was gung-ho about QSLs during my Novice and first few years of General. After that, it became too expensive and too much of a PITA.
View Quote

Same here.

I have enough paperwork from my day job. One of the reasons I like the digital net here and don't chase DX is because I don't have to
do QSLs. I just logged into eQSL due to this thread reminding me and replied to the five QSLs waiting, from 2014 through 2016.

If I were contesting or someones key to an award, obviously I'd operate differently, but I want to do radio, not radio accounting.

I do think that when the operating style implies QSLs are exchanged that it's the right thing to do, but no station has any say
in how that's accomplished but you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Screw 'em.

Put a note on your QRZ page that you only QSL by mail, and tough shit if they don't like it.
View Quote

It does say on my page that I don't use LOTW. Maybe I need to put it in bold, right on top of the page.
Believe it or not, I did set up an account on LOTW but simply lost interest when I realized that it's a pain in the arse to upload and download contacts into it.
This takes all the fun out of this hobby. I want to play with radios, not computers. I just spent several days trying to sync my base rig to the SDRPlay and realized that the benefit of having a larger bandscope is not worse the time to get it working and keeping it maintained. The radio already has a bandscope and this is all I need. Heck, I don't really need it at all.
Keeping a paper log is so convenient. The computers are for browsing Arfcom while I play with the radios.

BTW, I always reply to all QSL cards received through the regular mail and I never asked for the postage money, even if it's international. Those who ask for a QSL card, always receive one and I pay the postage. Its no big deal because it only happens maybe once a week. I average about 5,000 - 10,000 HF contacts per year. 30-50% are DX contacts. Maybe 1-3% send QSL cards. Most of them come through the QSL bureau.
I only initiate sending a QSL card if it's a very rare DX or when I really enjoy having a QSO with the station. I always make a note that they don't have to reply unless they really want to. I have worked most of the DX entities but never had any interest in applying for any awards.

Sending QSL cards is not mandatory either. I know one guy who sends a QSL card for every contact he makes. Good think he only makes a dozen contacts per month.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you do for a paper log? Bound notebook? Pre-formatted sheets of some sort? After having my digital logbook nuked several times (was all backed up on LOTW, Eqsl, etc.) I'm seriously considering paper. I don't do contesting, so it wouldn't need to be anything too elaborate.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do you do for a paper log? Bound notebook? Pre-formatted sheets of some sort? After having my digital logbook nuked several times (was all backed up on LOTW, Eqsl, etc.) I'm seriously considering paper. I don't do contesting, so it wouldn't need to be anything too elaborate.
View Quote

Bound notebook from a Dollar store.

I simply write the frequency on the left, GMT time on the right and callsigns, RST, name, QTH in the middle. There is no particular format. Date is written in the middle of the page in the beginning of each day, when I operate. Days are separated by a horizontal line, so I can go back and find a contacts easily. I like to make notes too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use this. $8 for not having to draw lines on paper is cheap, even in my cheapskate lifestyle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I made up a simple Excell spreadsheet which I've used since the beginning.  Fill in the blanks.  Or with the Find function,
I can search for a call sign.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I made up a simple Excell spreadsheet which I've used since the beginning.  Fill in the blanks.  Or with the Find function,
I can search for a call sign.
View Quote

I might have to do that. Would be pretty simple to set up and maintain. I currently use the free HRD logbook, and it seems to have gone downhill over the years; tried importing from LOTW/EQSL, and it doesn't work as smooth as it used to.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I log directly to QRZ as it's linked to my LOTW acct and far easier to use than LOTW itself.

I reply to direct and bureau cards direct. Send me one and I'll send one back.

I direct QSL a card to all Arfcom Ham guys for our first QSO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I had someone gripe to me about not using LoTW once via email.

I Googled around until I found a taxidermy shop outside of Rome and told him to take it there and stuff it.

I have found I am getting better and better with Google.

ETA to REALLY piss him off I sent him a paper card.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
While I have a spread sheet thing to keep track of contacts,

I don't even log my flying hours, I am certainly not going on some website and logging contacts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I log directly to QRZ as it's linked to my LOTW acct and far easier to use than LOTW itself.

I reply to direct and bureau cards direct. Send me one and I'll send one back.

I direct QSL a card to all Arfcom Ham guys for our first QSO.
View Quote

Pretty much the way I do it except I don't do QRZ.  I'm almost always running Ham Radio Deluxe and use that to log my contacts esp JT65.  Uploading/downloading from LOTW and eQSL is easy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I found eqsl to be a spam and fake qso haven for europeans, Russians and middle-easterners.  I use lotw and qrz and the two communicate back and forth to keep sync'd.  Every now and again i export an adif from qrz logbook and upload it to clublog.

Paper is for printers ;)

(jk om, I dig your style)
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah screw that guy...

I tend to use paper logs (no intwerwebz when operating portable) and try to get them up on QRZ within a day or two. I tried to use LOTW but it is a vast PITA so I stopped using it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah screw that guy...

I tend to use paper logs (no intwerwebz when operating portable) and try to get them up on QRZ within a day or two. I tried to use LOTW but it is a vast PITA so I stopped using it.
View Quote

I was surprized how "simple" it was to get registered on LOTW. They should have sent an official, uniformed observer to deliver my activation code in person and to verify that my shack has sufficient security to keep the transmitter from unauthorized CB-ers intruders. Imagine what could happen if someone compromises my logs and a false DX contact gets in the log!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I made my own .adif log based in excel...and I upload to QRZ, LOTW, and EQSL when I get around to it. I don't do it weekly.....or monthly...I do it when I feel like doing it. So....if I happen to have a prolific week, I might log some contacts after a few key QSO's. At present, its been about 150 QSO's since I last uploaded my logs....and I'm not in a rush.

This is a hobby....not a job
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Just jumping into the LOTW topic, I don't intend to hijack the conversation.

Has anyone not gotten the followup email from ARRL after using the code from the post card?  I waited for two weeks for an email to come (not in spam folder or anywhere).  I finally deleted the request and started over.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to be on board with only paper logging.  Never saw the need to electronic log, plus it's really neat to write your contact down including notes.   15 years and a few thousand QSOs later, I decided I wanted to digitize everything.  That took a LONG time.   LoTW is a pain in the a** to setup initially, but once that's done, your good.   I can upload a log in less than a minute.  Then you can download from LoTW to QRZ in about the same time.  I also occasionally upload to eQSL solely for the benifit of others who use that site for awards.  It takes a minute and maybe someone is looking for my state/grid.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Write him back and say  - " sorry, you're not in my log"

set up a sched to work him, and jump on your motorcycle instead

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Write him back and say  - " sorry, you're not in my log"

set up a sched to work him, and jump on your motorcycle instead

View Quote

"No Coo-Ass-Elleh!
Sorry my friend, No find you in my paper log-eh.
I go to 'chit' last night, no had no toilette paper.
Your Coo-Ass-O page wipe my butt. Sorry my friend!"
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was surprized how "simple" it was to get registered on LOTW. They should have sent an official, uniformed observer to deliver my activation code in person and to verify that my shack has sufficient security to keep the transmitter from unauthorized CB-ers intruders. Imagine what could happen if someone compromises my logs and a false DX contact gets in the log!
View Quote

Yeah, I have tried it, I do have an account, but I mostly just gave up. I get the idea behind authenticated logs and all that, but mostly I don't give a shit since I don't do contesting for points...
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, I have tried it, I do have an account, but I mostly just gave up. I get the idea behind authenticated logs and all that, but mostly I don't give a shit since I don't do contesting for points...
View Quote

It has nothing to do with contesting.  Its a way to verify your two way contacts... nothing more.  It may make you eligible for arrl awards like DXCC and WAS, but no lotw is required for any contests i know of.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Of course it's not mandatory.   It's just very popular for anyone dxing and a nice thing to do for your fellow ham even if they're not DX.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Of course it's not mandatory.   It's just very popular for anyone dxing and a nice thing to do for your fellow ham even if they're not DX.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#30]
After beating my head against the wall, I gave up on TQSL and LOTW. TQSL shows I uploaded records, but when I log in to the website none are shown... Says Certificate has been revoked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I always find it interesting when people have fairly developed QRZ pages...all customized with personal details, narratives, graphics, links, etc.....and they refuse to log their QSO's there...yet actively use LoTW or eQSL. 

I just do the all...my log is in excel, and I wrote a tab that converts my spreadsheet into a .csv version of an .adif format. In seconds I can create an .adif file and upload it to all sites....one files, a few clicks for each place....no more than a few minutes start to finish. I could see if it require manual entry, but it will take .adif just like any other site.

Oh well...fortunately I do this for fun and I'm not bent about awards. 
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I always find it interesting when people have fairly developed QRZ pages...all customized with personal details, narratives, graphics, links, etc.....and they refuse to log their QSO's there...yet actively use LoTW or eQSL. 
....[/img]
View Quote

I've never bothered with QRZ's log

I do LoTW, OQRS, direct,  and occasionally upload to eQSL, even though it's BS.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top