Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2017 7:11:01 PM EDT
I bought a Rexing dashcam from Amazon based on the popularity, but it turned out to be a dud.  It severely desensitizes anything on 2M and outright splatters on several 2M frequencies.

Rexing Dashcam - Amazon

So my question to you is what dashcam do you run that you like that also is radio friendly?  I need my radio, but I kinda also feel like I need a dashcam these days.  Lot of crazy folks out there!  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Mini 0801 dash cam in both vehicles, and have no interference of any kind.  There are newer models in this family now, and I hear good things about the video quality of the Mini 0805.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Got my Cobra dash-cam at Costco for around $70. No problems with RF noise so far.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
So, yes, it's a re-branded A118/A119 Chinese dashcam - quality control is nil, you could have received a reject - but I'd be more interested in how you're powering the thing.

I have personally dealt with three gas-station cigarette lighter 12v->5v adapters that created the interference you describe. I use several Anker adapters across two vehicles, never had a problem with radios.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, yes, it's a re-branded A118/A119 Chinese dashcam - quality control is nil, you could have received a reject - but I'd be more interested in how you're powering the thing.

I have personally dealt with three gas-station cigarette lighter 12v->5v adapters that created the interference you describe. I use several Anker adapters across two vehicles, never had a problem with radios.
View Quote

The interference is present even when the unit is running on its internal batteries.  It is not a noisy power supply issue.  I was hoping that was the problem too.

It seems to be yet another case of Chinese junk is junk.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got my Cobra dash-cam at Costco for around $70. No problems with RF noise so far.
View Quote

Cobra makes dashcams?  Hmm... might give one a shot.  It reasons that they would at least attempt to make them clean spectrum-wise since they do have a relationship with the FCC.  Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Mini 0801 dash cam in both vehicles, and have no interference of any kind.  There are newer models in this family now, and I hear good things about the video quality of the Mini 0805.
View Quote

I'll add it to the potentials list.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The interference is present even when the unit is running on its internal batteries.  It is not a noisy power supply issue.  I was hoping that was the problem too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go.  This isn't my video, but here is another ham with the same unit.  Yes, Chinese junk is junk.

https://youtu.be/woEVGAOKeRI
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay.  I ordered this one and got it installed yesterday.  Zero interference issues!  The video quality is identical to the one it replaced.  So far seems to be a good camera.

Amazon - Cobra dashcam
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought a Rexing dashcam from Amazon based on the popularity, but it turned out to be a dud.  It severely desensitizes anything on 2M and outright splatters on several 2M frequencies.

Rexing Dashcam - Amazon

So my question to you is what dashcam do you run that you like that also is radio friendly?  I need my radio, but I kinda also feel like I need a dashcam these days.  Lot of crazy folks out there!  
View Quote

A friend of mine has an identical Rexing camera to the one in your link. I saw him today and brought my TH-6F Kenwood HT. It does make some noise but the radio only registered it when I held the rubber ducky antenna within several inches from the dashcam. I checked HF, VHF and UHF bands. My truck was parked next to his truck and I could not hear any abnormal noise on my TM-V71A with and external mobile antenna ( being about 5 ft from his dashcam).
Just curious, how far was the dashcam from your antenna?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the black box G1W dashcam. I don't see any interference from dc-daylight.

Make sure you're using a good hardwire 12v-5v supply though, some of those are NASTY.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have the black box G1W dashcam. I don't see any interference from dc-daylight.

Make sure you're using a good hardwire 12v-5v supply though, some of those are NASTY.
View Quote

It makes the noise on its internal battery.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A friend of mine has an identical Rexing camera to the one in your link. I saw him today and brought my TH-6F Kenwood HT. It does make some noise but the radio only registered it when I held the rubber ducky antenna within several inches from the dashcam. I checked HF, VHF and UHF bands. My truck was parked next to his truck and I could not hear any abnormal noise on my TM-V71A with and external mobile antenna ( being about 5 ft from his dashcam).
Just curious, how far was the dashcam from your antenna?
View Quote

I think that some are worse than others.  My antenna is NMO mounted on the roof of my truck.  That puts the antenna maybe three feet away from the cam with the metal roof separating the two.  This was not enough separation with how nasty my camera was.  My friend has the same camera, but his antenna is mounted on his trunk.  Since he has a lot more distance between his antenna and his camera he notices little interference (but is does have just a little).  So it does seem that if you can get good separation from the camera to the antenna then it can work.  The new Cobra unit that I replaced the Rexing with is working well in the same location that the Rexing was mounted.  My problems are over, but it was certainly an interesting experience.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It makes the noise on its internal battery.
View Quote

Hrm. I haven't noticed in my install.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hrm. I haven't noticed in my install.
View Quote

Or mine did at least.  It is totally possible that I got a particularly bad unit, but it also seems to matter how far your antenna is away from the dashcam.  Mine was only a few feet away and that wasn't working out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top