Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2017 5:27:21 PM EDT
I'm not the kind of guy to make a big deal out of people...but some things are just really cool.
I was tooling around with JT modes all afternoon...worked 15m,17m,20m, and 30m...just kept jumping around to see what was happening.
Got some DX, nothing exciting...all countries I had worked before....well, except for Curacao...but that was hardly rare or far away.

Got caught up in the middle of a text message with someone and noticed a call from the "1" area....which I tend to ignore since its local and I've worked a ton of stations. Still, I need CT and VT for my 50-states award and decided to look of the call...there was something very familiar about it....K1JT.

I know I've seen it before, but it wasn't in my log....nope...never worked this station before...but I know I've seen that call.
Look him up on QRZ...NJ....not far away.....wait....WAIT.....Its Joe Taylor calling CQ!
By the time I figured this all out he was in QSO with another station...when he sent his '73' I called him and he called back...I now have the creator of JT modes in my log. Cant wait to add his QSL card to my collection!

Call me a geek, but this was more exciting to me than working even the more rare DX stuff...I got to work the guy who created the protocol I worked him with....something very cool about that!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
A little more info about the man...Wiki Page
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I think most people be not knowing what you are talking about.
With that said very cool story.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think most people be not knowing what you are talking about.
With that said very cool story.
View Quote

You are right...most people would have no idea who this guy is
That's kind what makes it so cool to me.

It was a little like getting a phone call from Alexander Graham Bell.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Who? J/K. I worked Joe Walsh on 75m AM many years ago and Art Bell on 75m SSB 5 or 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
That's cool, but I have to admit I didn't know who he was.

I worked Johnny Cash's Air Force roommate a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I worked him a couple years ago on JT-65.  I was in the middle of the contact before the callsign registered.  I ended with TU 4 MODE.

On a similar note, for anyone who uses N3FJP logging software, there's an Easter egg popup if you happen to work Scott.   I worked him during a contest and had to laugh when I saw it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool.  I keep an eye out for him but have yet to see him in my decodes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw him on 40m one time but I was new to the mode and afraid to mess up, so I didn't attempt to contact. 
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I worked him a couple years ago on JT-65.  I was in the middle of the contact before the callsign registered.  I ended with TU 4 MODE.

On a similar note, for anyone who uses N3FJP logging software, there's an Easter egg popup if you happen to work Scott.   I worked him during a contest and had to laugh when I saw it.
View Quote
That is great
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats! I had no clue who he was. Thanks for the link.

Perhaps the coolest contact for me was - JY1 ( His Majesty King Hussein I of Jordan). Worked him several times, long time ago. He was an avid ham operator.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Very interesting!  I had NO clue at all who he was.
Congratulations, and enjoy his card when it arrives.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#13]
 I've worked him twice, in May and Oct of 2014.  Both times on 20m JT9.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Perhaps the coolest contact for me was - JY1 ( His Majesty King Hussein I of Jordan). Worked him several times, long time ago. He was an avid ham operator.
View Quote
He and 4X6TT, Amir in Israel were close friends.  Lots of photos on his QRZ.  Amir is the one who (unbeknownst to him) forced me to upgrade.  I got frustrated when he was always in the Extra portion of the phone band
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I worked him Feb 2014 40m JT9 mode. He must like that mode. He confirmed in LoTW July 2014. Green Bank observatory is about a 3 hour drive from me, beautiful area.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very cool....actually...really damn cool.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's cool, but I have to admit I didn't know who he was.

I worked Johnny Cash's Air Force roommate a few years ago.
View Quote

Johnny Cash was the FIRST CW operator to pick up the word that Josef Stalin was dead.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I worked with a physicist a while back, PhD and also a ham extra. We used to talk about radios in the lab while working on x-ray equipment. This fellow is one of the 5 smartest people I've known, he travels to various linear accelerators to run experiments and writes papers that are well beyond my understanding. He has an instrument on a Mars rover.

He refers to Joe Taylor in hushed, reverent tones.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#19]
For anyone interested, he is back on right now....20m (14.076) TX on even
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Who? J/K. I worked Joe Walsh on 75m AM many years ago and Art Bell on 75m SSB 5 or 6 years ago.
View Quote

I've talked to Joe many times. Then again Bob Heil is in our club, who happen to be good friends.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
My father has his QSL card I think
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top