Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2017 12:39:58 PM EDT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMP-PROOF-VINTAGE-Hammarlund-HQ-110-Tube-Ham-Radio-Receiver-Faraday-Cage-/272544946703?hash=item3f74f1da0f:g:g0gAAOSw241YlOkJ

I don't want any of you jaspers bidding against me on this. It's not every day I have the opportunity to buy "hardened" equipment like this.

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I won't bid against you I'm just going to hit the buy it now button.??
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been keeping my eyes open for a Hammarlund 180. It seems they are made of gold lately! It should be a crime to use the word "vintage" in any Ebay title.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
There are NO REFUNDS, and I DO NOT Guarantee this Product/Item towork.
View Quote
That says all I need to know...
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny, he knows how to build a Faraday cage, but doesn't know if the radio works.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a clean receiver. I bought one at a hamfest a few years ago that showed a little wear from normal usage for ~$100.

I worked for Hammarlund in the early '60s. It's typical of mid-range single-conversion receivers of its era and they are all pretty much EMP proof when disconnected from the power line and antenna. It's just the nature of the hollow-state beast.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, and we've discussed this before, but you have to admit it's a pretty funny way to "up-market" your eBay auction.

BTW, Paul Carlson did a very nice video on restoring a particularly clean HQ-140. Look for "Mr. Carlson's Lab" on youtube. I really enjoy his material, and he is now doing a fee-accessed teaching series on Patreon. The cost is trivial, and for any who are interested, I think this will be a great resource for learning electronics, both new and old technology.

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Faraday cages are for sissies! All ya need is a battery! - Arfcom joke.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
So storing my IC-7200 in a 20mm ammo can isn't sufficient anymore?  In the post-poc era you'll need a radio with handles...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top