Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2016 9:21:49 AM EDT
Been looking into getting my technician soon and have been listening with a UV-5R.  
Just for the cool factor my girlfriend got me a new radio for X-mas.  Its made by a Taiwanese company called Triumph Industries.  Its a pretty good clone of the Harris Falcon III.
It appears to use some form of Baofeng firmware as the menu is very close to my 5R.  It's rated as IP-7 waterproof and i haven't tested it yet (don't know that i will...).
It operates on UHF and VHF and uses the standard military 6-pin connection for accessories as well as it can take the Harris blade antenna.  
Anywas, thought it was pretty cool.  

In the menu there is an APRS option.  When it is ON a small envelop icon appears on the screen.  When I get my license, how does this work? I've tried reading up on APRS but I'm confused as heck.  lol

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one I loved those radios in the Military.  When we fielded them we did use them as walkie talkies all over base.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be really interested in if they really have APRS or that is just a menu option.

OP APRS is automatic packet reporting system. It is mostly used to send position updates automaticity without user interaction. It can also be used to send messages and weather info. If you are by a APRS to Internet gateway you can even use it for one way twitter and email.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
What did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to guess it cannot do APRS as it sits.  the company released another version of the PRC-152 with a stubby antenna on the back for a GPS and bluetooth module.  I'll guess thats what the APRS setting is for.  I really wish they would release a programming cable for it.  I asked them if one would be available and they just said soon...sounds like TNVC's TAPS switch. lol.

As for price, it wasnt cheap.  Esp since its prolly just a Baofeng on the inside.  but it was $249.  I justify it as ill never own a real PRC-152 and this thing is built like a tank.
They also make a PRC-117g clone that i would love to put in my jeep but its $800....They do make their own vehicle shock mount for it though!

Airsoft company that carries their stuff....
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What did you pay for it?
View Quote

It looks like new it's about $250. They're not AN/PRC-152s, they just look like them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It looks like new it's about $250. They're not AN/PRC-152s, they just look like them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you pay for it?

Oversized, overpriced 10/5/1w 2m/70cm chinese radio with zero support and hard to find parts.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for interest.  I haven't looked it up, but if it is half of what it claims it is, I'm curious.

If it is a Baofeng in a box, it is a Baofeng in a dope-ass box... and I might pay fiddy for it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks pretty good imo. I would like to see their 152a when it comes out

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to be a jerk... But.... A fool and his money are soon parted.

I would love to have the real thing but obviously that will never happen so I get the allure of the look alike. BUT, with the POS guts that they put in it....
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Could have bought a Dual band CCR for about $50-100 and saved the additional dough on accessories.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#11]
It's starting to sound like QRZ in here....
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not to be a jerk... But.... A fool and his money are soon parted.

I would love to have the real thing but obviously that will never happen so I get the allure of the look alike. BUT, with the POS guts that they put in it....
View Quote

I get that. And I'm fully aware that the guts aren't anywhere near the best. But it fills a niche for me and does what I need it to do. And I wanted it. So there's that! Lol
Just thought I'd share a not so common radio package/housing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I get that. And I'm fully aware that the guts aren't anywhere near the best. But it fills a niche for me and does what I need it to do. And I wanted it. So there's that! Lol
Just thought I'd share a not so common radio package/housing.
View Quote

Totally get that! Ran into a guy awhile back at a hamfest that was tacticooled out with one. Then I get teased with pictures from my buddy that is in the state guard playing with the real thing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#14]
$250, eh? That's what I was afraid of. I think I'd rather have 5 or 6 Baofengs rather than one of those, at that price. Oh, well...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top