Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 10:32:04 PM EDT
Been a ham for 17 years. I have several ht's. Been thinking about trying DMR. Don't know much about it. Been reading up on it. What would you suggest for a beginner DMR radio that won't break the bank? Don't want to invest too much.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
TYT MD-380.  They seemed pretty decent, and you can pick them up for about $100 with programming cable and whatnot.  There is also the MD-390 which is the waterproof version of same for an extra $50-60.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
less than $92 from MTCRadio with coupon code ...  discount  ...

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
To add on, the nice thing about the TYT is that is is easily programmed by your own system with free software.  

If you haven't already, go to DMR-MARC.NET to register for a DMR ID.  You will want to do this before you have the radio so you won't have to wait on it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Friends don't let friends buy TYT radios.

If you want to check out DMR look around and find a used or NOS Motorola XPR 6500/6550. They can be had for $200 or less and will blow the TYT out of the water all day long without even trying.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want to check out DMR look around and find a used or NOS Motorola XPR 6500/6550. They can be had for $200 or less and will blow the TYT out of the water all day long without even trying.
View Quote

Nothing against Motorola gear, but does that price include programming software/cables?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nothing against Motorola gear, but does that price include programming software/cables?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cable and software no but cables can be had cheap ($15-80 depending if you want aftermarket or OEM) and software can be found by anyone with even the worst google skills.

The knowledge that you are not causing harmful interference is priceless.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cable and software no but cables can be had cheap ($15-80 depending if you want aftermarket or OEM) and software can be found by anyone with even the worst google skills.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True enough, and exactly why I don't recommend cheap Chinese radios to anyone.

Good to know about the cables & software, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely! I've not used any of the aftermarket cables for my XPRs or APXs (as the use the same cable) but I've heard plenty of people say they work fine. I just have enough money invested in Moto gear that I personally prefer OEM cables but I have a few aftermarket that work without issue for sine of my radios.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Absolutely! I've not used any of the aftermarket cables for my XPRs or APXs (as the use the same cable) but I've heard plenty of people say they work fine. I just have enough money invested in Moto gear that I personally prefer OEM cables but I have a few aftermarket that work without issue for sine of my radios.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When was the last time you turned on an XPR? Haha. Mine was earlier this week but it was a client's new 7550e. I haven't seen my 6550 in a few months now…
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When was the last time you turned on an XPR? Haha. Mine was earlier this week but it was a client's new 7550e. I haven't seen my 6550 in a few months now…
View Quote

My 4550 in the house is on all the time but on a analog repeater the majority of the time. Local DMR TGs are in my scan list though. 7550 was on the other day but I was playing with some stuff. Now my APX, XTS, and XTLs.... That's a every day kinda thing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ebay?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 7550 every day
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My 7550 every day

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My 7550 every day

I second that as well. I love my XPR 7550 UHF as well. It's a great radio and well performer.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ebay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebay?

Yeah, typically on ebay and some on the FB radio trader pages. ZapZap picked up a NOS 6550 for $200 awhile back.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
In a quick peek on EBay all I saw was $450++
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In a quick peek on EBay all I saw was $450++
View Quote

Search for XPR-6500 which is the non GPS model.

Link 1
Link 2
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Coo, Thx!l
so why would I replace my CSI750 with one of these....
and you can't use 'Because it's a /\/\" that really don't matter to me
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Coo, Thx!l
View Quote

Because it's the bestest!

Superior audio on both transmit and receive, a more sensitive receiver, stronger front end is going to reject strong interference, roaming, and it's built like a tank. If you come across any sites using RAS you'll still be able to talk.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#19]
What do you need to program it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What do you need to program it?
View Quote

computer

cable

MOL sub

pretty easy to be honest.

oh, a short online class and a 25khz key is recommended as well
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes I watched a video on programming. Not exactly quick and easy like Chirp.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Utilitarian, sure... not overly tough though
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a commercial radio, lots of options depending on what the end user needs. Just something you accept when moving to LMR radios. They are all I use now.

Someone with the weakest google skills can locate the software needed.

But all in all, programming an XPR for conventional (non trunking use) is really simple. And the online guides are pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#24]
So far all the I sites I found won't let you download or it had aids.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#25]
The MOTOTRBO software isn't the most intuitive but once you figure it out it's actually pretty nifty and allows for a decent amount of customization/security.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:31:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Coo, Thx!l
View Quote

Motorola: You can buy better, but you can't pay more!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coo, Thx!l

Please, inform us to what is better?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I really don't find that I use my TYT MD-380.  It was a neat novelty for a while but I just don't use it anymore.  If someone  wants to try it out ping me and make an offer.  I have the radio, antennas, box and factory accys.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coo, Thx!l

As long as we are talking DMR…it's hard. The e series radios have extremely hot receivers…only thing that anyone else has been able to compete with is Simoco in the audio quality department and Tait in the ruggedness (with IS ratings).
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#30]
The "$200" Motorola is a myth unless you are OK w/ pirating software (discussion of which, btw, is a CoC violation.  Just sayin') or you have someone program it for you.  I also find it funny how ARFHAMS are OK w/ stealing software but they get all uppity about HR-1301

Batteries are difficult to come by, and mostly available used.  The sub $200 radio had no charger and the other one was $250.  Agreed that their radios are the nuts.

There was a limited number of people talking about Time Slot Sync issues w/ the MD-380, and as I understood it only happened if you quick keyed.  I have not seen anyone validate whether or not it still happens in later firmwares (most information on this topic seems to be from 8/2015).  Not saying they're perfect, but they are awful nice for $100.  I'm more than happy to be further educated on this subject with facts, not "I heard".  Not sure if there was actually a recorded incident of "splattering all over the bands" - I don't have my specan anymore or I'd look.  Maybe an RTL SDR Dongle would do the trick!

Also, if I'm running a hotspot, even if TSs are malsynced, I'm not bothering anyone because it's my hotspot.  Again, not sure about about splattering - and I would be very interested to see data/proof of this for the MD-380.

Now, enough flame bait - what I am interested in is purchasing new legit Hytera radio.  I'm also even curious about the Vertex Standard DMR equipment or the Kenwood.  I haven't been able to find a good US source that is Ham Friendly for Hytera.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The "$200" Motorola is a myth unless you are OK w/ pirating software (discussion of which, btw, is a CoC violation.  Just sayin') or you have someone program it for you.  I also find it funny how ARFHAMS are OK w/ stealing software but they get all uppity about HR-1301

Batteries are difficult to come by, and mostly available used.  The sub $200 radio had no charger and the other one was $250.  Agreed that their radios are the nuts.

There was a limited number of people talking about Time Slot Sync issues w/ the MD-380, and as I understood it only happened if you quick keyed.  I have not seen anyone validate whether or not it still happens in later firmwares (most information on this topic seems to be from 8/2015).  Not saying they're perfect, but they are awful nice for $100.  I'm more than happy to be further educated on this subject with facts, not "I heard".  Not sure if there was actually a recorded incident of "splattering all over the bands" - I don't have my specan anymore or I'd look.  Maybe an RTL SDR Dongle would do the trick!

Also, if I'm running a hotspot, even if TSs are malsynced, I'm not bothering anyone because it's my hotspot.  Again, not sure about about splattering - and I would be very interested to see data/proof of this for the MD-380.

Now, enough flame bait - what I am interested in is purchasing new legit Hytera radio.  I'm also even curious about the Vertex Standard DMR equipment or the Kenwood.  I haven't been able to find a good US source that is Ham Friendly for Hytera.
View Quote

Feel free to ask ZapZap about his complete $200 new old stock XPR-6550 purchase... The deals are out there you just have to look for them. The two links I posted were just examples. I didn't spend a lot of time searching for better examples.
I never said weather it was ok or not to pirate software, I just stated the fact that it's out there. The decision past that is up to the individual. Merely affording someone the opportunity to commit a crime is not unlawful.

People were talking about it because people had issues with it and some people experienced it first hand. I talked to a few people who had. I would love to test it out myself but I don't have a $30k service monitor to test DMR with. So I have to rely on sources I trust to relay factual information.

Batteries are not difficult to come by. Tons of brand new batteries on ebay and via Motorola themselves and miscellaneous dealers on the web. Hell even a local Motorola shop.

The time slot bleed is a big issue as that would be classified as harmful interference which is a violation of FCC rules. You are responsible for what your equipment is doing. Being ignorant to if it is actually causing an issue does not give one protection from the law. Sure, the interwebs were saying it was due to quick keying the radio but without proper test equipment one can't say without a doubt that it is or is not causing bleed.

Back to the thread.

Hytera makes a great radio. I've not heard anything but great things about them. Have a friend with one of the first generation Vertex radios. It was always solid. Just a rebadged Motorola XPR aside a few missing features. The Kenwood offering will no doubt be a solid radio as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a handful of Hytera DMR radios, and they've been nothing short of excellent.

I'm also patiently awaiting to see what comes of this:

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the TYT 390 and have it all programmed up.

Do you need a hotspot to access the net?

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#34]
if you don't have a local repeater
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a handful of Hytera DMR radios, and they've been nothing short of excellent.
View Quote

Where do you buy them?  Is programming software free?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://forums.radioreference.com/attachments/hytera-forum/56022d1468279206-hytera-dmr-lte-dmrlte.jpg
View Quote

They do feel solid, ours have never failed.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://forums.radioreference.com/attachments/hytera-forum/56022d1468279206-hytera-dmr-lte-dmrlte.jpg
View Quote

Would you be so kind as to put a name with the picture?  I'd like to know more.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#38]
So what Hytera offering would be comparable to the Tytera TYT-380?
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel I got to experience Hytera in their core. Their customer support seems to be excellent. Their dealer support is shit. They advertise their products as being Tier 3 compliant (Hytera actually utilizes non-standard signaling for their radios as a default)  but it takes a literal act of God to get the authorization approval to turn on a subscriber for Tier 3. Then trying to get them to support or help with issues with Tier 3 is like pulling teeth as the US support crew can't handle it and it has to go through China.

For Tier 2 operations, they've got their shit ready to go. Tier 3, go buy Motorola, Sepura, Simoco, or Tait.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tytera is not anywhere near the quality of Hytera.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm not saying $200 moto ht's in NOS condition dont happen....it is you have to be the first to spot them when they rarely happen.

I got a 380 off fleabay for less than $85 delivered. New. For me, good enough to get my feet wet.
If I spotted a 6550 for $200 NOS, I'd nab it too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm not saying $200 moto ht's in NOS condition dont happen....it is you have to be the first to spot them when they rarely happen.

I got a 380 off fleabay for less than $85 delivered. New. For me, good enough to get my feet wet.
If I spotted a 6550 for $200 NOS, I'd nab it too.
View Quote

Had the bidding war not been started on mine, I probably could've gotten it for $185 (remember this was almost 2 years ago, on eBay).
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I feel I got to experience Hytera in their core. Their customer support seems to be excellent. Their dealer support is shit. They advertise their products as being Tier 3 compliant (Hytera actually utilizes non-standard signaling for their radios as a default)  but it takes a literal act of God to get the authorization approval to turn on a subscriber for Tier 3. Then trying to get them to support or help with issues with Tier 3 is like pulling teeth as the US support crew can't handle it and it has to go through China.

For Tier 2 operations, they've got their shit ready to go. Tier 3, go buy Motorola, Sepura, Simoco, or Tait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the US support is pretty rough. I know overseas the tier 3 is baller, I have only used them as tier 2.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as feature set goes what is comparable?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Motorola, Hytera, Tait, etc. are going to do everything that the Tytera will do and more with exception to being able to listen to a system without programming individual talk groups. But that's not really a big deal because with a $20 SDR you can figure out active talk groups on a repeater easily.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's a commercial radio, lots of options depending on what the end user needs. Just something you accept when moving to LMR radios. They are all I use now.

But all in all, programming an XPR for conventional (non trunking use) is really simple. And the online guides are pretty good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I am not DMR, still conventional for my system, DMR at the shop, commercial gear, of the better quality (Moto-Vertex-Etc) is the way to go, audio is excellent, TX is also above the CCR stuff and lower end commercial gear.

100% agree with Zap and TLF
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:04:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I've been happy with my Vertex evx-539.

The worldwide dmr-marc talk groups lose their luster fast. Radio guys are already such a small group, so spitting people further into smaller, more restrictive hardware and networks seems counter-productive.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#48]
You can usually find killer deals on eBay if you search around.

The programming software is free, with the caveat that the radio has to be purchased through a dealer.

If anyone needs the CPS, let me know.

The PD782 and MD782 are FPP.

ZapZap is correct on the lack of Tier 3 functionality, but unless you're running a professional system, you're not going to have any issues with Tier 2.

The Hyteras are capable of doing more than 99% of hams are going to ask out of a radio, up to and including dispatching, Gelocation, Geofencing, etc.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top