Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2016 4:31:47 AM EDT
I'm sure someone here has knowledge to share.

Have been thinking it might be wise to keep a small fire extinguisher at the workbench. That's easy enough, but I would like something that wouldn't destroy some piece of radio gear it was used on, and that could be cleaned up easily afterwords. I looked into Halon briefly, but it's EXPENSIVE! Any other good options?

I powered up a 50-year old rig recently, and saw a wisp of "magic smoke" escape. I had it powered down instantly, and don't think there was any real fire risk, but it has me thinking that some fire control might be wise.

Thanks for any info!   Jim...
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#1]
CO2?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
CO2 or Halotron-1 is what you seek.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks! That got me where I needed to go.

Most of the CO2 and Halotron extinguishers were $100 or better, but finally found one on Amazon for less than $20 and free shipping. I suspect it will suffice for my (hopefully never) needs. Just in case anyone else has an interest:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Buckeye+70256

Thanks again! Jim...
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, Jim!  That's an insanely low price so I just ordered two.  Says 4 left in stock after that.

I have a lot of extinguishers around here but they're all dry chemical and all over 15 years old.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, Jim!  That's an insanely low price so I just ordered two.  Says 4 left in stock after that.

I have a lot of extinguishers around here but they're all dry chemical and all over 15 years old.
View Quote

I started to order a couple until I noticed the weight listed as 2.2 lbs and the capacity as 2.5 lbs..  I suspect that these are empty and have not been charged.

Hope I am wrong for your sake.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow! That IS an insane price.
If I didn't have a couple 1211's just sitting around I'd be all over this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm... I guess we'll see.

I don't buy the idea of it not being charged. if it doesn't look right, at least Amazon has a good return policy.   Jim...
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The company has good reviews and seems to be known for selling stuff at a really low price.  They're sold as New and ship from OK, so QRB and I will see in a few days.  Looks like someone else bought one too, down to 1 left in stock.  Now says 6 left in stock again...

ETA:  Maybe they mis-typed the price and it's supposed to be $118.70?

I see that same strange weight on some other models by other sellers, so it's not just this one item.

On this item farther down in the details it says:

Product Details
Item Weight: 2.2 pounds
Shipping Weight: 5 pounds
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes the volunteer firefighter across the hall says it is great for the bench so I have one on the way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Snagged 2, also.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Surprised there was none there to begin with.  I have multiple extinguishers all over the house.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
It says near the bottom.  Shipping Weight: 5 pounds

These will be ok for the bench but you will need to be very accurate with the stream.  2.5 pounds goes really fast.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a fire extinguisher about 25 years ago.  Still pressurized, and still sitting in the kitchen pantry.  I shook it up a little while back.  Doesn't seem to be settled out. Can't remember what's in it.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Just an FYI: If you ever have to use one of these Halons or Halotron's, in an enclosed space (like indoors) dont breath it in.
Pull the pin, take a couple breaths or so and hold it before squeezing the trigger. Then GTFO after you get it out. That stuff is not good for your lungs or your health.

Evacuate and ventilate the area immediately after extinguishing the fire. The fumes and smoke
from any fire may be hazardous and can be deadly.

WARNING: SYMPTOMS OF OVER-EXPOSURE TO PURE Halotron I MAY CAUSE CENTRAL
NERVOUS SYSTEM EFFECTS SUCH AS DIZZINESS, DROWSINESS, ANESTHESIA, OR
UNCONSCIOUSNESS. PERSONS SUFFERING FROM OVER-EXPOSURE SHOULD BE
IMMEDIATELY REMOVED TO AREA WITH FRESH AIR. APPLY ARTIFICAL RESPIRATION IF
NECESSARY. CONTACT A PHYSICIAN.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Halon and its cousins (Halotron, etc) are WAY better for you than CO2 as far as continued breathing are concerned.  I used to work for a company that made fire extinguishers for aircraft and the airlines are still allowed to use old school Halon for one reason only.  Enough CO2 to put out a fire will be enough to suffocate and kill anyone in the room, enough Halon to put out a fire will not kill you, but I have heard that it is not comfortable (similar to MACE I have been told but not experienced).  Its hard to step outside for a breath of fresh air at 30,000 ft!

The downside of Halon is you dang sure better have the fire OUT OUT as you don't want the Halon to be overheated / burnt as it will give off some nasty toxic byproducts if the fire gets going again.  

My $0.02!

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Snagged 2, also.  
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snagged 2, also.  

Link?

Up above:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Buckeye+70256
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like they are all gone, because now they are $127.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Hmm... Received a message today that my order had been cancelled, the seller stating, "my supplier is out." Perhaps it was priced incorrectly, and if so, I'm glad. I don't want to cause anyone loss by a simple mistake.

So, will have to search for something else. I know halon has some downsides, but I just can't imaging using a dry chemical extinguisher on the chassis of a nice old radio. Perhaps I can find a CO2 unit that is affordable.   Jim...
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I got the cancellation too.  It was just too good to be true.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Price is now $127, so looks like they just had it priced wrong and cancelled the orders.

I haven't used Halotron or FE-36/Cleanguard personally but Halotron is FAA approved for in-cabin use, I can't believe it would be "like mace". Halon certainly is not like mace, it's a non-toxic gas with minimal odor.

The only issue with Halon is that it's a chloro-flourocarbon... when applied to fire or other very high temperatures it breaks down chemically, and one of the by-products is hydrogen flouride aka hydroflouric acid which is bad news. So you do want to GTFO if you use it on a fire in a confined area. It's apparently not a massive hazard as Halon was the standard for on-board extinguishers for commercial and military aircraft as well as on the space shuttle. Halotron I believe is similar in having HF as a decomposition product. Halotron has more biological effects at lower concentrations than Halon which is the reason for the warning posted above. I'm more a fan of FE-36 as a Halon replacement. I'm more a fan of not replacing Halon personally.

Halon 1301 used in flooding systems, where they would fill an entire room with Halon like a computer center or something like that, would reach dangerous concentrations so people did have to evacuate where those systems were used. Novek is the new solution for those applications.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Even worse with halon/derivitives is that if you do get hit with too much and have a heart attack one of the treatments is epinephrine.  BUT....  There is a really bad reaction between the Halon and Epinephrine.   Basically, the treatment will kill you.  

I hated working with the stuff.  I got a few face fulls refilling cylinders and it would make my heart race.  

If you have a choice, CO2 would be a good alternative.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Halon and its cousins (Halotron, etc) are WAY better for you than CO2 as far as continued breathing are concerned.  I used to work for a company that made fire extinguishers for aircraft and the airlines are still allowed to use old school Halon for one reason only.  Enough CO2 to put out a fire will be enough to suffocate and kill anyone in the room, enough Halon to put out a fire will not kill you, but I have heard that it is not comfortable (similar to MACE I have been told but not experienced).  Its hard to step outside for a breath of fresh air at 30,000 ft!

The downside of Halon is you dang sure better have the fire OUT OUT as you don't want the Halon to be overheated / burnt as it will give off some nasty toxic byproducts if the fire gets going again.  

My $0.02!  
View Quote

I used CO2 to put out a car fire in my garage.  I must not have survived.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Well thanks a lot! Now I'm so nervous, I'm going to go sit in a dark corner and steer clear of all heat and flame producing devices...
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Worked in a computer building that used a halon system. We had the O2 masks and stuff in the building just like in the terminator movie. If the system was about to trip there was a special 30 second alarm to give you some time to get out before it popped the values. There was also a cancellation mushroom button the wall. I can't remember if it canceled the released or just delayed it for as long as it was held.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Price is now $127, so looks like they just had it priced wrong and cancelled the orders.
View Quote

I hate it when they do that. They are effectively lying about it. I've had this happen before. They lie to Amazon to, plead "out of stock". But it's relisted within seconds, so of course they have stock

I'd happily accept a message that was honest, you know "Oops, sorry to tease you like that, but we screwed up and it's really this much money, sorry."
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Box of Arm & Hammer, easily puts out small fires and you control the mess.  Cheap too.  Make it easy to disconnect power also,
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got the cancellation too.  It was just too good to be true.  
View Quote

+3...  Well, shit.  At least we tried.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top