Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2016 2:35:13 AM EDT
A while back I bought some "tip jacks" from Mouser for a particular project. I've used some of the leftovers to make some handy slip on attachments for my multi meter probes. Don't know if any of you might value the idea.

The alligator clips are pretty obvious, but the other day I needed to check the function of a slide switch that was too deeply buried to access. The extensions you see are made out of common wire clothes hanger, which proved to be just the perfect diameter. To prevent shorting against some unintended surface, I put shrink tube over all but the last 3/16" of the extended probe.

I'm sure such things are available commercially, I just like makin' stuff!

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Wheres the Like button .
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Clever!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Long probes like those are HUGELY useful.  I have a commercial set with spring loaded tips that are very fine and needle sharp and use them all the time.

I like the heat shrink tube engineering.  I  go through a lot of the stuff intentionally over insulating stuff.  It's just fun to use!  I even put a piece over the screwdriver in my iFixit kit to make it a little more grippy.  Looks factory.  The heat gun on my rework station makes it easy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I love heat shrink tubing, but I'm an uber-neanderthal. Unless it's something buried in a chassis, I use a little alcohol burner to shrink it, and of course, I'm using that fire at my reloading / hobby bench with MANY pounds of powder and a huge stack of primers within arm's reach.

But that's okay, right?

I did recently buy a very nice heat gun, but its not handily right on the bench like the little alcho-burner is. Might have to make a little heat-proof "holster" for the heat gun so I can suspend it under the bench.

I'm hoping to be busy at the bench later. With a little luck, there'll be a big box o' capacitors in the mail today. First up is a Jackson 591 capacitor tester, then I've got a Swan 117 power supply and a Swan 500 transceiver to get back into operation. Oh boy!  

Cheers...   Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top