Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2016 4:28:31 PM EDT
Stumbled on this. Hope it's of some interest and not a dupe.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That was a very interesting video.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  
BD
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
WWII technology at its best.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool video. I always wondered how they did it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Vietnam for the most part too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting. The video filled in a big gap in this book. It covers many other problems involved in getting the crystals from the ground and into the radio sets. The Nazis were putting a lot of effort into cutting off the flow of quartz from Brazil to the US.

There's an article in the April 1946 issue of QST, pp 48 - 50 on grinding surplus crystals to a desired frequency. It was tricky but several of us managed to shift a few surplus crystals into the Novice band without screwing them up. You could tell about what frequency the blank would wind up on by putting a sheet of foil under the glass the crystal was being ground on and connecting the foil to a receiver. A  hissing sound would be heard as the crystal was moved around on the glass.

ARRL members can access the article through the archives.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting. The video filled in a big gap in this book. It covers many other problems involved in getting the crystals from the ground and into the radio sets. The Nazis were putting a lot of effort into cutting off the flow of quartz from Brazil to the US.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/images/P/0353.jpg

There's an article in the April 1946 issue of QST, pp 48 - 50 on grinding surplus crystals to a desired frequency. It was tricky but several of us managed to shift a few surplus crystals into the Novice band without screwing them up. You could tell about what frequency the blank would wind up on by putting a sheet of foil under the glass the crystal was being ground on and connecting the foil to a receiver. A  hissing sound would be heard as the crystal was moved around on the glass.

View Quote

You old dudes amaze me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Great video. Thanks for posting! Jim...
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...You old dudes amaze me.
View Quote

The lack of money is the mother of invention. Commercial crystals cost three or four bucks, and surplus ones outside the Novice bands could be had two or three for a dollar. An hour spent mowing lawns or raking leaves (we didn't have snow to shovel) would put fifty cents in your pocket. There was a big advantage to this, though. We entered ham radio working split, since most Novices were limited to one or two transmit frequencies. We called CQ, then tuned around listening for a reply.

A couple of defunct radios from the neighborhood repair shop would produce enough parts and a chassis for a 5 Watt transmitter. A surplus J-38 Key could be had for a buck. TV was new in our area, so sets that were beyond repair were a rarity, and had usually been hit by lightning.

Our big salvation was WWII surplus. An ARC-5 receiver that covered 40 Meters was about seven bucks, but had to be modified to operate without a remote control head and function on 115 VAC. ARC-5 transmitters were cheap, but would often wipe out TV reception a couple of blocks away. They were also VFO controlled, which was a no-no for Novices.

It's often been said that quartz crystals oscillators were a big factor in winning the war because they enabled inexpensive, stable radios in the VHF spectrum used for aircraft and mobile communications.
The Nazis didn't have a reliable supply of suitable quartz, so had to use expensive, hard-to-make capacitor and inductor tuning assemblies for the VHF spectrum.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I learned something today. Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.arrl.org/shop/images/P/0353.jpg

View Quote

Yep, found it easy.  Thanks.
Same month had a discussion of 5m going to 6m.  

Also thanks to the OP for the video, way fun to watch.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#12]

interesting..

lol @ the label "damage to this vital war material is SABOTAGE".

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Great video  - the number of steps was incredible.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The lack of money is the mother of invention. Commercial crystals cost three or four bucks, and surplus ones outside the Novice bands could be had two or three for a dollar. An hour spent mowing lawns or raking leaves (we didn't have snow to shovel) would put fifty cents in your pocket. There was a big advantage to this, though. We entered ham radio working split, since most Novices were limited to one or two transmit frequencies. We called CQ, then tuned around listening for a reply.

A couple of defunct radios from the neighborhood repair shop would produce enough parts and a chassis for a 5 Watt transmitter. A surplus J-38 Key could be had for a buck. TV was new in our area, so sets that were beyond repair were a rarity, and had usually been hit by lightning.

Our big salvation was WWII surplus. An ARC-5 receiver that covered 40 Meters was about seven bucks, but had to be modified to operate without a remote control head and function on 115 VAC. ARC-5 transmitters were cheap, but would often wipe out TV reception a couple of blocks away. They were also VFO controlled, which was a no-no for Novices.

It's often been said that quartz crystals oscillators were a big factor in winning the war because they enabled inexpensive, stable radios in the VHF spectrum used for aircraft and mobile communications.
The Nazis didn't have a reliable supply of suitable quartz, so had to use expensive, hard-to-make capacitor and inductor tuning assemblies for the VHF spectrum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...You old dudes amaze me.

Knew the last bit, but I'm always fascinated by the golden years of ham radio.

As a bit of trivia the prc74 uses both crystals and ww2 era resonant/regenerative  circuits.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

interesting..

lol @ the label "damage to this vital war material is SABOTAGE".

View Quote

I might have to reproduce one of those labels to put on my safe.  I might also have to put one on my hockey cup for laughs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are interested in grinding your own crystal give this guy a call. He has crystal blanks and holders and will put together a kit with instructions. He is the go-to guy for crystals in homebrew rigs as well as boat anchor restorations. Nice guy, knowledgeable, and helpful.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
double tap
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I run frequently run into Bry on the air. He is a nice guy.

I ribbing him during the last SKCC WES because he wasn't crystal controlled. There was a 100 point bonus for each rockbound QSO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice video.  Thanks for posting it.

I also have a bunch of QSOs with Bry.  He is very active in the SKCC.  Not only that, he is a rock muscian,  going all the way back to the early 1960s, in England
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you are interested in grinding your own crystal give this guy a call. He has crystal blanks and holders and will put together a kit with instructions. He is the go-to guy for crystals in homebrew rigs as well as boat anchor restorations. Nice guy, knowledgeable, and helpful.
View Quote

Neat!, might get a few more cut for the trc77
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking how much we still do things like that

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#22]
That's not ancient technology - those live on in your cellphone, teevee, even the thing you are reading this very post on!

They also are the heart of the clicky part of anything you use to spark a flame with, like on your grill, or lighter.

Tinfoil moment - I don't believe in the healing power of crystals, but I can draw a line from brains, which use electricity, to dirt like quartz, that not only emit electricity, but vibrate when electricity is applied to them.

I liked hearing the narrator - he did a TON of these kinds of explainer films back in the day. You could hear him flipping script pages in between scenes.

Also, the girls must have known the film crew were coming - I bet they didn't typically dress like that in a factory that grinds minerals all day.

Excellent video find!

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's not ancient technology - those live on in your cellphone, teevee, even the thing you are reading this very post on!

They also are the heart of the clicky part of anything you use to spark a flame with, like on your grill, or lighter.

Tinfoil moment - I don't believe in the healing power of crystals, but I can draw a line from brains, which use electricity, to dirt like quartz, that not only emit electricity, but vibrate when electricity is applied to them.

I liked hearing the narrator - he did a TON of these kinds of explainer films back in the day. You could hear him flipping script pages in between scenes.

Also, the girls must have known the film crew were coming - I bet they didn't typically dress like that in a factory that grinds minerals all day.

Excellent video find!

Ya,  I noticed all the nail polish too. Wonder how long that lasted in the oil baths.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's not ancient technology...
View Quote

Actually, it is.
Now, instead of having to dig the quartz out of the ground, they grow it, and it's laser cut, trimmed, lapped, and etched by an automated process. They spit out precision crystal oscillators as easily as transistors, since the processes are similar.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Is some version of this what a quartz watch uses as well?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is some version of this what a quartz watch uses as well?
View Quote

Absolutely.

And, that's the point I was trying to make - it's not something we gave up on in the black and white days, it is something that is a technology that forms the timing circuits of modern equipment.

The most precise ones live in a small, temperature controlled box, informally called an oven.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes. It's often a small metal cylinder about 1/2" long and 3/16" in diameter.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:42:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Finally blocked off some time to watch the vid. Had no clue that there were so many steps in the process.

Really dug the WWII period where the quality of your work could decide whether your neighbors son came home or not. Flashed back to stories my mother told me of first working at one plant soldering tabs on batteries for walkie-talkies. Quit that gig and got a job with Lake City, yeah THAT Lake City, in the quality control department.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Finally blocked off some time to watch the vid. Had no clue that there were so many steps in the process.

Really dug the WWII period where the quality of your work could decide whether your neighbors son came home or not. Flashed back to stories my mother told me of first working at one plant soldering tabs on batteries for walkie-talkies. Quit that gig and got a job with Lake City, yeah THAT Lake City, in the quality control department.

Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

Now that's a mama bear I would love to hear stories from over  coffee and coffee cake after a holiday meal
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#30]
The sheer amount of ingenuity and engineering that went into figuring out this exacting process is nothing short of astounding.

The Greatest Generation at work! These people knew how to get stuff done, and what it meant if it didn't get done.

Nowadays automation has replaced a lot of people who would do such work, and unfortunately with them, a lot of the ethos of meaningful production. Your average person would last maybe :30 into the video, shut it off, and then go back to using devices which use this manufacturing (or borrowed from it) to watching or listening to BS while taking it for granted.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow labs have sure come a long way. I bet their environmental impact planning was a bit less time consuming with all of those acid baths... And not a glove in sight, even in their "dust free" room. lol
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#32]
When you're worried about Nazis, that other stuff is inconsequential.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Now that's a mama bear I would love to hear stories from over  coffee and coffee cake after a holiday meal
View Quote
She was an incredible woman. Strong willed. Self employed businesswoman. Child of the Depression who taught me that possessions isn't everything. Think I still have her ration stamp book from WWII stashed away somewhere. Asked her why she kept it all these years. "You never know when we'll need it again." In my collection I have a .50BMG cartridge headstamped LC44. Always wondered if she possibly was in QC on that line. Wish I had asked her.

Oh, back to crystals. If you happen to come across FT-243 crystals that are just below the ham bands it isn't difficult to lap them down to get into the ham bands. A plate of glass and some toothpaste with a mild abrasive will do the trick. I keep on the lookout for them at hamfests. Also be aware that you can use a frequency multiplier circuit to get to the freq you want. Say find a 9.045mhz crystal, install it in a doubler circuit and you now have a crystal good for 18.090mhz on 17m.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#34]
There's an article on how to do it in the April 1946 issue of QST, pp 48 - 50.
It can be downloaded from the QST archives if you're an ARRL member.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top