Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2016 9:18:26 PM EDT
Im thinking about running coax for my portable antenna setup under the bed of my truck and up the inside of the rear post. The simple question is , would it hurt anything to run the antenna through a grounded bulkhead connector ? I dont see where it would but I figured it wouldnt hurt to ask yall to verify . I dont want just have a hanging 259 end , with the bulk head connector I can cap it with a weather proof connector .

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No issues here at all that I see.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Silicone grease and copious seal tape, and should be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The possibility exists for a ground loop (since you've got two ground paths, one on the coax shield and one via the
body) but there's nothing harmful about the configuration you're proposing, and if you have a loop it's not that hard to fix.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks , ground loop was what I was thinking about . Wed was a long day for me so I was a bit off . If I had a ground loop the only way to fix it would to be insulate the bulkhead connector if my thinking is right on this . If thats so I would be best to insulate the bulkhead connection to begin with .
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
"Ground loop" is irrelevant at RF. The downside I see with that configuration is that it will be very challenging to keep that connection weatherproofed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... it will be very challenging to keep that connection weatherproofed.
View Quote

That.   It is dang near impossible to weatherproof a PL259/SO239.   They practically suck in the water (in fact there is no "practically" about it, they do).   So over time you can bet on water getting into the cables and they will need to be replaced every so often.   Just the same it may be the best choice for what you want to do.   It is standard hardware, cheap, performs adequately and is easy to install, use and maintain.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Better off using an N bulkhead.

I have a similar setup running on my XJ's tail light housing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok ordered some N chassis mounts and some N connectors .

Its mainly going to be used for portable setup not full time mobile but might as well do it right the first time .
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you are going to have a nice setup going that route.

My tarheel is mounted with one of their mounts in the corner of my bed but it keeps me from being able to put my tool box in and I am always cautious when loading large stuff in. Maybe some day I will redo it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Just temp setup

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]
is the black crayon coax ?

if so, that will be fine

if it's "antenna" like your OP states, than, no, that would suck.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Seal tape and watch your bends on the coax. Especially with rg58.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top