Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 4:55:46 PM EDT
Ok I've apparently lost my baofeng and after a due diligent search I give up...  I honestly hated that thing as I couldn't figure out how to program it, and had to have my dad whose been in Ham Radio a LOT longer than I've been alive whose computer savy figure it out.  

I'm looking at the ID-51A Plus.  Had my techincans license since around '98, but believe me I'm a newb.

Basically I'm looking for a dual band "handie talkie" radio that doesn't take a rocket scientist to program. Granted I understand there will be a learning curve with all radios.  But I'm looking for the simplest and easiest to program on the go that doesn't require software/computer to do so. And if possible while not necessary having all the bells and whistles.  

TIA, back to studying for my General exam
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Still listening, but is this a yes?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
On the fly analog programming is pretty easy with the ID-51. D-star I think you could program on the fly, but it is easier to use the software that comes with the radio and get it set up that way. Pick up a micro SD with adapter to USB and get the updates, program your call, and might as well program in a few analogs. (PRO TIP: If you program in the analogs with GPS data you can search for close after the radio gets a GPS lock)
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On the fly analog programming is pretty easy with the ID-51. D-star I think you could program on the fly, but it is easier to use the software that comes with the radio and get it set up that way. Pick up a micro SD with adapter to USB and get the updates, program your call, and might as well program in a few analogs. (PRO TIP: If you program in the analogs with GPS data you can search for close after the radio gets a GPS lock)
View Quote

Sweet! Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh. If your going to go and get a d-star radio and havent registered yet, shoot Scooter an IM and he can get you registered before your radio gets to you, One less thing to save time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh. If your going to go and get a d-star radio and havent registered yet, shoot Scooter an IM and he can get you registered before your radio gets to you, One less thing to save time.
View Quote

Ok you lost me brother lol. If this has been already discussed,  is there a link so I can catch up?  Thank you
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure theres a link in here somewhere probably archived by now, but I went ahead and sent a PM to Scooterinvegas to stop over in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm sure theres a link in here somewhere probably archived by now, but I went ahead and sent a PM to Scooterinvegas to stop over in this thread.
View Quote

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If I had a local DStar machine, Yes-I'd buy one....MTCRadio.com has some deals on the 51a fwiw
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:18:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok you lost me brother lol. If this has been already discussed,  is there a link so I can catch up?  Thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go here...
https://n7arr.dstargateway.org/Dstar.do
Enter your call sign, make a password, Name and E-mail. Hit OK twice. IM
me and let me know your call sign and the email you used to sign up. I'll "approve" it and IM , text or Email you
back (your choice).
Then go back and log back in to finish it. Two step process.
IMPORTANT: On #9 in the instructions (linked below), after checking the
box to the left of "1",  click inside the "Initial" box to the right
of your callsign on the
same line as the number "1".  Type in a single space character.
<----- THIS MEANS HITTING THE "SPACE" BAR ONE TIME ONLY.  This
will not show up in the box, but is very important.
http://www.dstargateway.org/D-Star_Registration.html
After that, you should be good to go.
We can meet up on reflector 14C with that dude from Omaha..
Scoot

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If I had a local DStar machine, Yes-I'd buy one....MTCRadio.com has some deals on the 51a fwiw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About half the guys around here also have a DVAP, or dv-mega, in addition to their d-star radio. Food for thought.
I'm running a DVAP with a pi and my internet hot spot. I like my setup because of the portability. It goes with me to the camper and on the road.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thank you sir
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you sir

I came home at lunch time to get you registration done.

Your call sign has been added to the Dstar network and you can
     log back in and finish your registration.  I included a link below
     with the instructions if needed.  

Important, you only need to register ONE TIME. Your registration
     today gives you full access to the Dstar system.

When you log back in to finish your registration, it's important
     that after you check the box to the left of #1, click in the box
     under "initial" and then push the space bar one time.
     Don't type any numbers or letters.

Do not click on the "RPT” check box.  In the "pcname”
       box, enter your callsign in lower case followed by a dash "-”
       followed by your type of radio, e.g. 2820 or dvdongle.  All
       characters in the "pcname” box should be lower case and there
       should be no spaces.

EXAMPLE -->>   kd5***-id51      

NARRI host's reflector 14. Most of the time we listen to 14C.
         Key up some time and say hi.

Thanks for registering with NARRI !!

Scott Reynolds, N7BZN

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

About half the guys around here also have a DVAP, or dv-mega, in addition to their d-star radio. Food for thought.
I'm running a DVAP with a pi and my internet hot spot. I like my setup because of the portability. It goes with me to the camper and on the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This all sounds interesting to me, I may have to join the 21st century yet. Unfortunately, I am getting ready to move to the old family farm and am unsure of both Internet availability and nearby D-Star repeaters. Sometime  near Thanksgiving I will revisit this subject. Would it do any harm to get registered on D-Star now or should I wait? de W9TRB
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your call sign has been added to the Dstar network and you can      log back in and finish your registration.  I included a link below      with the instructions if needed.  

Important, you only need to register ONE TIME. Your registration      today gives you full access to the Dstar system.

When you log back in to finish your registration, it's important      that after you check the box to the left of #1, click in the box      under "initial" and then push the space bar one time.      Don't type any numbers or letters.

Do not click on the "RPT” check box.  In the "pcname”        box, enter your callsign in lower case followed by a dash "-”        followed by your type of radio, e.g. 2820 or dvdongle.  All        characters in the "pcname” box should be lower case and there        should be no spaces.

NARRI host's reflector 14. Most of the time we listen to 14C.          Key up some time and say hi.

Scott Reynolds, N7BZN

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you sir

Your call sign has been added to the Dstar network and you can      log back in and finish your registration.  I included a link below      with the instructions if needed.  

Important, you only need to register ONE TIME. Your registration      today gives you full access to the Dstar system.

When you log back in to finish your registration, it's important      that after you check the box to the left of #1, click in the box      under "initial" and then push the space bar one time.      Don't type any numbers or letters.

Do not click on the "RPT” check box.  In the "pcname”        box, enter your callsign in lower case followed by a dash "-”        followed by your type of radio, e.g. 2820 or dvdongle.  All        characters in the "pcname” box should be lower case and there        should be no spaces.

NARRI host's reflector 14. Most of the time we listen to 14C.          Key up some time and say hi.

Scott Reynolds, N7BZN

Sweet!  Thank you sir

I'm working a side gig ATM, and will finish the 2nd half when I get home.

ETA: And done.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.
ID-51A plus a DVAP is the ticket.
Since I got this radio and DVAP, I use it everyday.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Just so I'm clear(newb).  In my immediate AO there isn't a digital repeater, but when I'm
In Houston there are at least three.  

From a little reading I've been doing, the DVAP acts as a "hotspot" personal repeater to access D-Star correct?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just so I'm clear(newb).  In my immediate AO there isn't a digital repeater, but when I'm

From a little reading I've been doing, the DVAP acts as a "hotspot" personal repeater to access D-Star correct?
View Quote

Thats correct.
A d-star radio, dvap, pc/mac/pi, and a bit of internet then the whole d-star system is at your fingertips.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thats correct.
A d-star radio, dvap, pc/mac/pi, and a bit of internet then the whole d-star system is at your fingertips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats correct.

SOB....

Now I'm gonna have to spend more money lol.  Cheapest source for a DVAP? Cheapest I've found is on eBay for $189 for 2M.  

What's best?  And again I'm a newb so don't hold back on me lol.  I don't care if I get a GD response
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:52:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
SOB....
Now I'm gonna have to spend more money lol.  Cheapest source for a DVAP? Cheapest I've found is on eBay for $189 for 2M.  

What's best?  And again I'm a newb so don't hold back on me lol.  I don't care if I get a GD response
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats correct.

SOB....

Did you buy the ID-51 yet? You might just wait for the new ID-51A+2 to come out. It'll have DVAP like capabilities as long as you have an Android phone.

Whether it has built-in WiFi for Terminal mode or you have to use a cable to make a connection to your phone or PC remains up in the air.

Without a WiFi module built into the HT, a DVAP might worth still buying. Sorry to complicate things but just wanted to give you a heads up. Plus, maybe the plain ID-51 falls in price when the +2 comes out.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, I already bought a Icom ID-51A Plus Anniversary Edition.  Hoping it gets delivered tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#21]
i got something at dayton that snaps on a Pi and makes a Hotspot.  George and Jeremy haven't told me what to do with it yet.  Also have an 880 in the shack that hasn't been on the air either. not sure how much data I can spare to use the device (not Dvap)
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
i got something at dayton that snaps on a Pi and makes a Hotspot.
View Quote

DVMega?  

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

DVMega?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DVMega?  

There u go!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Thought so.  I slapped mine in a Hardened Power Systems Dhap Mini Mega and playing with it when I have time.  So far it is quite educational.  You really should get it up and running.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

DVMega?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DVMega?  

So is this or the DVAP better?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did you buy the ID-51 yet? You might just wait for the new ID-51A+2 to come out. It'll have DVAP like capabilities as long as you have an Android phone.  

https://www.icom.co.jp/world/news/160808/ID-51_PLUS2_colorvariation.pdf

Whether it has built-in WiFi for Terminal mode or you have to use a cable to make a connection to your phone or PC remains up in the air.

Without a WiFi module built into the HT, a DVAP might worth still buying. Sorry to complicate things but just wanted to give you a heads up. Plus, maybe the plain ID-51 falls in price when the +2 comes out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats correct.

SOB....

https://www.icom.co.jp/world/news/160808/ID-51_PLUS2_colorvariation.pdf

And there may very well be a Icom ID-51A Plus anniversary radio for sale when these come out and enough feedback is released
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DVMega?  

Also check out the DV4Mini
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DVMega?  

The DVAP and The DV4Mini require a computer.  I use a work computer, a mac, so that presents its own set of issues running 3rd party stuff.  I chose the DVmega as the PI is its own computer.  I don't have to have it hooked up to the computer to operate.  It's also much more portable not requiring the separate computer. That said, the DVap and DV Mini are much much smaller form factors by themselves so they are very portable if you do have a laptop with you.  

The DV4Mini shows some bonus in that it not only does D-Star, it also does say on their website   "C4FM, D-Star and DMR.  It's also able to do DPMR and P25"
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Finally!  Damn post office... now comes the fun part of waiting for battery to charge and reading the manual

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#30]
WTF

First I had nine kinds of hell with Baofeng and now with this damn radio...  I change the time/date settings and can't figure out how to save and it never does save and can't figure out how to set it to hit a damn repeater...  UGH!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#31]

How to set and program analog.
He needed to set tone on after setting tone freq. from VFO mode, To turn tone on, tap quick and scroll to tone (its 3rd down). Do the setting you want. After you get that set, test it. Then you can continue on with his video and save it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/zTSoxk48-UY

How to set and program analog.
He needed to set tone on after setting tone freq. from VFO mode, To turn tone on, tap quick and scroll to tone (its 3rd down). Do the setting you want. After you get that set, test it. Then you can continue on with his video and save it.
View Quote

Thank you, but that doesn't help... I'm getting too frustrated and upset I'm about to give up permanently...  This shouldn't be soo difficult to connect to a known repeater, the Saltgrass Network...
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Have you watched the commsprepper series to see if it answers your question(s)?

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfrteFE0V6mW7hK2N2mNtaSKHB4F-lvrT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top