Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 5:38:55 PM EDT
New ham--licensed this past winter--well, Saturday a week ago the house (I think the antenna directly) was hit by lightning.  This is not how I wanted to test my grounding methodology The "fuse" on my AlphaDelta surge protector was blown, but the PL259 connectors (before the surge protector and after) look out of the box.  My radios are never hooked up to the antenna unless I'm in the radio room, so they are fine.  I haven't had time to get on the roof and check out the cable on that end.  The antenna is toast--my daughter found the metal top from the diamond X50A laying in the yard.

I was carrying the beeper for work and had to go in for a section, that's when I also found out my garage doors (and subsequently discovered that a GFI in my garage) were down as well.  Coming home, it was on the way in the driveway, that I wondered what was wrong with my VHF/UHF antenna.  That's when I finally figured why the lightning strike sounded so close.  

So, I have a new X200A here to put up (yeah I up graded the antenna).  I figure I'll throw the multi meter on the cable from the antenna to the surge protector and if I get continuity, then I know It's toast for sure, but what else should I look for?  I've already replaced the blown fuse.  There is plenty online of what to do PRE strike.  Not so much POST strike.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Unhook your radio from the power supply and check it also before powering up the radio.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If the antenna took a direct strike there's a high probability that there was internal arcing in the coax, as least between antenna and surge suppressor/grounding. I would give thought to replacing that section of coax.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The radios were unhooked both from the antenna(s) and the power supply.  The power supply was unplugged as well.  That is how I leave the "shack" when I'm not using it.  I would think the radios should be okay as they were literally just sitting on the desk.  

The cable that is attached directly to the antenna was one area of concern.  I wasn't sure how to check it (other than to make sure it does or doesn't have continuity as is appropriate) for the proper resistance.  I guess I need to dive into the ARRL books on the shelf.  

My son is home on leave and my daughter is up with my grandson so I have some other priorities at the moment but while he's here I do have a spotter on the ground so I can go up and tear things apart even if I don't get them back together again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]

(Picture of lightning damaged PL-259 stolen from one of our members here)

If you go to the roof and the connector on you antenna looks like this, then your coax is ruined. If it were me I would replace the coax whether I detected damage to the connector or not just to be safe.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]

I would hook up my AIM4170 and scan the coax.

Got any local elmers with test equipment?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Smart move on having the radio's and p/s unplugged.
+1 on reaching out to someone who has an analyzer. If I was closer I would stop over with my MFJ-259b.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, I have a MFJ259b that I will ship to you to use if you don't have one local.  It just sits on my shelf and it has been around to a few ARFCOM-HAMs already so you may as well be next.

IM me if you need it.

JLE
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If your Alpha Delta Arc-Plug failed then I would just replace the coax and not even think about using it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Racsan Thanks for the offer!  I'll IM you if I don't come up with some local help.  

I'm an (associate) member of the amateur radio club in the next county where I tested.  I'll post this same question on the list serve and see what shakes out.  I haven't met anyone from the local club.  I have met the son of a silent key who was a local ham (see my thread on getting 2 50' towers) but I haven't met any of the active members.

I will get some new coax ordered since that seems to be consensus here.  If later on, I want to salvage some of the existing coax, I can.  It will be good practice to solder a new PL-259 connector on the cable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I finally got on the roof and put up the new antenna.  Here's what the old one looked like.  I haven't messed with the cable any further.  I cut the antenna cable off to make the change-over easier (and to keep me fm being a cheap b@$tard and being tempted to resuse it as is )  

So far so good.  

Oh, I also discovered my IOTA 24V charger was taken out too.  Luckily I have a another 24V charger for my green addiction.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, a direct strike, and only minimal damage.

Good to hear.

Can you describe your layout (antennas/grounds/etc.)?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, a direct strike, and only minimal damage.
Good to hear.
Can you describe your layout (antennas/grounds/etc.)?
View Quote

Certainly, I will catch some grief for my methods (or lack thereof as you will read) but here goes.  My "shack" is my son's  walk in closet (he left for the USAF 5 years ago) on the seond floor. It's over the garage and hopefully far enough from most of the spurious RF in the house--it seems to be thus far. It's big enough for a desk with room left over for me to still store a few things in there.  There is no outlet in the closet, so I use a 12ga drag cord (extension cord to some) to power my Samlex power supply.  When not in use, it stays unplugged.  My radios are power-poled, and in similar fashion when not in use they are unplugged.  There is no ground other than from the power supply to the outlet.  My radios are not grounded.  The antenna cables (DX engineering LMR--type--400) stay un hooked when not in use.  They go into the wall and up through a chase in the wall to the attic and down to a 6x6x6 inch water resistant box that has my lightening protectors in them.  Those protectors are attached to an eight foot ground rod.  The antenna cables then continue to the roof and to the antenna.  

The grounding outside

Another shot

The VHF/UHF antenna and the supports for my OCF dipole for my HF rig

I know that some will chide me on:
not having everything grounded in the shack to a single point (and run to the antenna ground).
only one ground rod.
not tying the antenna ground into the common ground of my house.

However, I'm okay with what I've done so far.  If (when) I bring more equipment into the shack, I will have no issues reassessing the situation and readjusting as needed.  

disclosure--I have no affiliation with the products mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for that.

As long as what you've done worked when needed, who needs to chide? :-)

I'm getting closer to putting a shack together in lightning country, so taking notes as I can.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:31:59 AM EDT
[#14]
It is reassuring to see that a single ground rod was sufficient to protect your station and home from a direct strike, because this is all that the vast majority of hams use for lightning protection.

I have been putting off outdoor antennas for grounding reasons but maybe I will give it a try. I have a pair of 8 foot copper clad steel rods, I just need to get them driven in at suitable locations and drill the hole for cable entry into the house. Tying them in to my house electrical ground via some method other than the third prong on the outlet would be a royal PITA.

Basically I am faced with three choices. Operate a severely compromised indoor antenna, operate an outdoor antenna with far less than recommended lightning protection, or spend more money than all of my ham gear combined and still not come close to ideal lightning protection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top