Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 12:48:30 PM EDT
Baofeng Tech announced their new tri-band HT: UV-5X3

Announcement

"First and foremost, the UV-5X3 was built by adding filtering and support for the 220MHz Amateur band. The original UV-5R was a 4-watt dual-band radio; while the UV-5X3 can now output 5-watts on VHF and 4-watts on both 1.25M and UHF. The UV-5X3 focused specifically on the amateur band frequencies of the 1.25M band during design. The UV-5X3 supports: 65-108MHz (RX only - FM Radio), 130-179.99MHz (RX/TX), 222-225.99MHz (RX/TX), and 400-520.99MHz (RX/TX)"

The announcement also talks about simplified scanning, the option to sync the display (channel name and frequency), CHIRP as the programming software, and more.

Baofeng Tech UV-5X3 page
Amazon Link $65

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios

(edit: duh - I typed the model number wrong in the subject line - corrected to UV-5X3.)
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks Brick!  

New info is always appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Would you recommend a certain replacement antenna for it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've not got a current favorite tri-band HT antenna - it's such a compromise. I reckon that's why it's common to get two antennas with the tri-banders.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#4]
John's got a review up at his site:

Miklor.com UV-5X3 Review

Cheers,
Brick
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate you guys.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hate you guys.
View Quote

I hope that is b/c we keep tempting you to buy another radio.

If that's the case, definitely don't check out the $20 KD-C1!

(sorry for hijacking the thread with that - couldn't resist)

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Big Brown truck stopped by this evening and dropped a box for me.

Now its been a long time since I've tried to program a baofeng and I'm quite rusty but got the one repeater in town programmed in.
On tonight's 2 meter net I mentioned the new UV-5x3 and it being a true tri-band radio. NC had me key 1.25 up and he heard me on his receiver, and managed to grab 4 others with 1.25 radios. So for a real short time we had a 2 to 1.25 cross band going. Mainly hearing the 1.25 repeater on NC's receiver while he was calling the net.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Big Brown truck stopped by this evening and dropped a box for me.

Now its been a long time since I've tried to program a baofeng and I'm quite rusty but got the one repeater in town programmed in.
On tonight's 2 meter net I mentioned the new UV-5x3 and it being a true tri-band radio. NC had me key 1.25 up and he heard me on his receiver, and managed to grab 4 others with 1.25 radios. So for a real short time we had a 2 to 1.25 cross band going. Mainly hearing the 1.25 repeater on NC's receiver while he was calling the net.
View Quote

That's why I FO on a Icom ID-51a Plus....  I couldn't get my now missing Baofeng programmed....  My dad somehow managed to get it programmed. My Icom should be delivered tomorrow, and I hope it's NOTHING Like programming a baofeng.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's why I FO on a Icom ID-51a Plus....  I couldn't get my now missing Baofeng programmed....  My dad somehow managed to get it programmed. My Icom should be delivered tomorrow, and I hope it's NOTHING Like programming a baofeng.
View Quote

I never had a huge problem with programming them.  make sure you use the right VFO (can only program from one of them) and do it once for the receive freq, and once for the transmit freq (into the same channel) and you're done.  could be simpler, but not horrible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've not got a current favorite tri-band HT antenna - it's such a compromise. I reckon that's why it's common to get two antennas with the tri-banders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue is that 220mhz is not a harmonic of 2 meters or 440. So you can't make an efficient multiband antenna that includes 220.

Multiband antennas are not an issue if designed correctly. But don't hold your breath for that being done on a $20 "radio."
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd recommend this one...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Good news - a chance at a free radio. Bad news - Facebook:

Baofeng Tech is giving away a UV-5X3 on Facebook.

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top