Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2016 7:31:31 PM EDT
My wife and I will be taking a trip to Northern Newfoundland and possibly up into Labrador on our 250cc Enduro bikes.  We'll be leaving Kansas City in the latter part of August and heading to Portland, Maine.  From there we ferry to Nova Scotia and then to Newfoundland.

In addition to loading up the local repeaters before the trip, I will be taking along an FT-817ND and hope to work some ARFCOMers while traveling.  I built an antenna mount for the rear rack of my Yamaha WR250R and will be using the Chameleon Hybrid Micro vertical (with radials) when that is my only option, or using it configured as a wire end fed if there are trees.  I have never attempted any sort of "on the road" communication like this before so it should be interesting.  Would love to hear thoughts and ideas.  I had considered using Winmor to send emails from the road to some ARFCOM volunteers however, at this time, I am not planning to take any sort of Windows device, that plan may change.

I'll be finishing up the mount this weekend, pictures to follow.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had extremely poor results with Winnie lately especially qrp. Hope you plan on CW or dig modes with the 817.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to follow along with your ride report.  Any plans to post on ADVrider?
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had extremely poor results with Winnie lately especially qrp. Hope you plan on CW or dig modes with the 817.
View Quote

As of now my plan is to use PSK.  A while back, based on your recommendation, I also picked up the Chinese 45 watt amp for my 817 and am considering taking that along.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd love to follow along with your ride report.  Any plans to post on ADVrider?
View Quote

I have thought about it.  I have a bad habit of not finishing ride reports.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd take amp if I were you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd love to see pictures and a report as you go forward with this. I sold my WR250R  a couple years ago and I miss it. I'm up in Maine so we might be able to pull off a short range NVIS contact. Keep us in the loop.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
That would be good to try, I might give it a try from Nova Scotia after we land there on the ferry.  Planning to camp somewhere on the southern tip the first night out.  I'll keep updating this thread as time gets closer.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool, sounds like fun, post pics of your setup!
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#9]
That's going to be fun.  That's one of my bucket list trips.  My next trip will be the CDR.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
We did the north half of the CDR last year, its an amazing ride!   The big empty in southern Wyoming was my favorite part.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I will post pictures soon.  My Chameleon hybrid mini arrived today, now waiting for the Buddipole 9 section mini shock cord whip to attach to it.  I went with a Buddipole whip vs Chameleon because the disassembled length is way shorter and more motorcycle transport friendly.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#12]
All the parts are here now.  Just one more trip to Ace Hardware for some machine screws and the mount will be finished.  Using the 60' included wire as counterpoise, the Chameleon Hybrid Micro did a decent job last night in conjunction with the 148" Buddipole Whip, with good results on both WSPR and PSK Reporter.   I ended up getting the Buddipole 7 section  lightweight shock cord whip as it seemed to be heavier built than the mini and is a little over 2 feet longer.  It still breaks down into a motorcycle friendly 22" when collapsed and fits right in the bottom of the waterproof duffel that straps to the back of the bike.

I'll post up some pictures of the mount under construction, the assembled antenna and mount, and the loaded bike later today or pehaps tomorrow.

Seven days away from heading towards Portland, Maine.  It's all coming together now.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, I got it all put together this weekend.  I took several photos and am still processing them however, here is the final product.   You can see the chameleon antenna with buddipole whip just behind the auxiliary fuel can.  The FT-817ND is just forward of the fuel, it's resting on the saddlebag on the opposite side of the bike.

I was also able to run a two minute cycle of WSPR and also send my call out on PSK-31 three times.  For this test I was not using any counterpoise other than the motorcycle itself.  I will be taking some counterpoise wire with me on the trip.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I miss my WR :-(

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I think that the only thing I'd replace this one with is another one when this one dies.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry, meant to say WRR. Mine was an '08. Ran flawlessly. Nimble off road and rock solid on the slab. Sold it to fund a minivan once our clan started growing
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah that's understandable.

I'll be leaving KC heading your way on Saturday morning.  I figure we'll be in Portland on Sunday night.  As of now the plan is to ferry to Nova Scotia on Monday on the 11:45 boat.

Would be cool to try some NVIS on Sunday or maybe Monday night.   I hope I have time to operate at the northern most point of the trip, I bet that GO21fo is a grid square that is not often seen on air.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you trailering to Portland or riding?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#19]
We will tow the bikes to Portland and then start riding from there.  It will be about 2400 miles round trip towing and about 3500 on bikes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#20]
We just made the drive from Washington, KS to Waterville, ME last week. Pushing through the night and stopping for a couple extended food breaks and detour to Niagara Falls, made it in 31 hours. Have plenty of cash on hand or an EZ Pass for the highway robbery that is toll roads in the northeast. Driving a Uhaul with car carrier cost me roughly $100 in tolls.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Any phone, or just digi? I'm really curious about the Cha Hybrid. Do you like it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any phone, or just digi? I'm really curious about the Cha Hybrid. Do you like it?
View Quote

I'll probably try some phone if it seems like conditions will support it.  I am going to go ahead and take my 45 watt Chinese amp just to ensure I have a fighting chance at making some contacts.

Regarding the Hybrid Micro, so far I am impressed.  The two results I posted earlier were run with the Hybrid Micro and a Buddipole whip using no counterpoise at all, other than the bike itself.  I was very happy with those results.  I have yet to see a configuration that requires the use of a tuner.   Aside from all that, this thing is built very well.  Off road motorcycle puts unusual strain on gear and I am quite confident that it will handle that very well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#23]

oh boy. this thread makes me want to go ride.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
80m might be a good option for me if you can get an end fed sloper thrown into a tree. I just put up my LNR 10/20/40 as a sloper and was booming into Portland, ME at S9+10 on 75m with 10w from the KX2.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Someone say enduro

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Due to circumstances beyond my control (or perhaps totally my fault ) I'm now in Concord, NH at a Best Western.  I expect to make the 2:30pm ferry from Portland to Nova Scotia tomorrow.  Let's try to make contact tomorrow night when I'm camped in Yarmouth, NS.  Should still be fine for NVIS.   I'll send you a text or call you.

Quoted:
80m might be a good option for me if you can get an end fed sloper thrown into a tree. I just put up my LNR 10/20/40 as a sloper and was booming into Portland, ME at S9+10 on 75m with 10w from the KX2.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Much respect for the Super Sherpa.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Much respect for the Super Sherpa.
View Quote
Thanks , its a lot like me . Its under-powered ,slow and a little heavy but its reliable and doesnt require much maintenance .

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#29]
u motorcycle people are nuts  Have Fun!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Motorcycle HAM related.  Here's my setup on my V-Strom.  Dual Band VHF/UHF.  I have't done any HF work so far.  Most of the radios are still out of my price range.

VSTROM HAM RADIO SETUP

Also this is an older video.  I have now fixed the RFI problem and run the external half wave (SSB-5NMO or SS-680).  

Gratuitous airborne V-Strom pic.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Just linked up with Sturm on 40m PSK31. Band was up and down a lot but we managed to get it done. I was running 5 watts from the KX2 to the LNR 10/20/40 setup as a sloper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#32]
How you like the kx2,  looks to be the prefect motor cycle hf rig
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Motorcycle HAM related.  Here's my setup on my V-Strom.  Dual Band VHF/UHF.  I have't done any HF work so far.  Most of the radios are still out of my price range.

VSTROM HAM RADIO SETUP

Also this is an older video.  I have now fixed the RFI problem and run the external half wave (SSB-5NMO or SS-680).  

Gratuitous airborne V-Strom pic.  

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11698902_10207314304241992_1931766340626858120_n.jpg?oh=064d57d180138b5a8848418f038ac33b&oe=585D12D2
View Quote

Where's my like button damn it lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#34]
So OP  , hows the trip ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#35]
It's been both good and tough so far. Rain and wind are ichasing us all over the marine Atlantic.  Definitely have a few adjustments to make when dealing with relentless saturation.

From bird cove Newfoundland, I tried for a couple of hours to reach anyone on arfcom 20 and 40 using  psk 31 but no joy.  The path to Europe is amazing from up here and it's the quietest RF conditions I've ever experienced.  Using only a phone for both ham and this so, more to follow when I can.

Was cool to work simple scout from Eastern Nova Scotia via NVIS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top