Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2016 3:09:10 PM EDT
I recently inherited some ham stuff from my uncle after he passed.  He was a ham radio operator at one time years ago.  I'm not a ham operator and don't have the time at the moment to take the test and get a license.  But, I hope to in the future.  Not sure when.  

I got a ham radio, a mobile antenna, a long piece of antenna coax/cable, and two base station antenna towers.  The towers are telescoping and appear to be about 10 ft long collapsed.  So roughly 30 ft long if they were extended.  I have them stored in my shop rafters at the moment.  

Anyway, here's a few pictures of what I got from him.  Anything you can tell me about it?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Enough to get started with your tech ticket.

Looks like a base loaded mag mount, the low power ratshack 10 meter rig, some decent telescopic poles, and a bunch of coax that may or may not be usable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Radio Shack HTX-10, 10 meter mobile rig. Mobile magnet mount antenna. Two Rohn 20ft telescoping mast pipes with guy rings and some larger coax for home use.
I have the RS rig and they work well, but the solar cycle is dying and 10 meters is only "open" sporadically right now.

Worth keeping IMO.
ETA - Forgot the little SWR meter for checking/tuning antennas.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.

Question about the antennas. How would they normally be mounted and grounded to prevent lightning damage to anything? I understand the guy wires and how they would be needed to support the antenna.  

The antenna cable appears like it was never used. I'm guessing it works but haven't tested it for continuity.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Hold on to that radio shack 10m radio. They are getting more difficult to find and are basically a repacked radio from Ranger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top