Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 9:23:45 AM EDT
I bought a new hamshack yesterday.

I should have it in about 2 weeks.  

It looks very much like this but with a few custom features.

This one doesn't have the battery box on the  hitch and the solar power.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
It's so cute!!!

I think they forgot something, though . . . a door?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's so cute!!!

View Quote
They hid the door to keep you undesirables out.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I see the air conditioner on top for the ham camping trip, km.  

...Just kidding!  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I see the air conditioner on top for the ham camping trip, km.  
View Quote
I can bring it if it is built in time.  That will be a rush to get it done.uhh

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's so cute!!!

View Quote

Doors? Don't need a door, just use arfsk modulation and walk thru the walls.

ETA: JC10311 I just visited your fine state of AZ. First time, HOT!!!! DAM HOT!!!! Nice mountain views though, was in Phoenix and Mesa. Stopped into HRO in Phoenix and picked up a Yaesu MD-200A8X mic. Stay cool my friend, stay cool.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
You stupid donkeys.  It has a door.

and a box for the battery, solar charge controller, ac connection and charger, and other electrical devices.

Very simple camper but all I need for a mobile hamshack.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#8]
It does look like a nice rig.  Do you have any interior pics yet?  Is it just for hamcations, or general camping trips, too?

I picked up a flag pole holder and a bolt-on receiver for the back bumper.  I use milsup camo net poles to put up a vertical pretty quickly.  I can also hang a wire from it if I want.

I also put in an antenna connection through the wall so I don't have to run wires through the door or windows.  Yes, I cleaned up the sealant after it set up a bit.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy the heck out of it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It does look like a nice rig.  Do you have any interior pics yet?  Is it just for hamcations, or general camping trips, too?

I picked up a flag pole holder and a bolt-on receiver for the back bumper.  I use milsup camo net poles to put up a vertical pretty quickly.  I can also hang a wire from it if I want.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87463

I also put in an antenna connection through the wall so I don't have to run wires through the door or windows.  Yes, I cleaned up the sealant after it set up a bit.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76852

I'm sure that you'll enjoy the heck out of it.

View Quote
I looked at a Hideout but it was more than I needed for what I am doing.  This one isn't self contained.  Has a toilet, microwave, refrigerator, electric fireplace, TV, sound system and air conditioner.  Electric awning.  I have 2 champion inverter generators  and phasing harness to run the air conditioner.  100 watt solar panel and controller. I plan to do any cooking outdoors.  Had one a few years ago with a full kitchen and never used it.  Equipped this way it gives much more room for a radio station.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like fun! Please share interior photos when you get it outfitted.

Happy building!   Jim...
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Where did you get those parts that hold the camo poles?  I want to be able to slide something into my receiver hitch and hold my mast.  What I can see in this picture looks like what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Where did you get those parts that hold the camo poles?  I want to be able to slide something into my receiver hitch and hold my mast.  What I can see in this picture looks like what I'm looking for.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you show is a closeup picture of that mount?

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My trailer is in storage right now, so I can't get pictures for a few days.  Here's the kind of things that I used.  A little searching should find lower prices.

The bolt-on receiver fits perfectly around the 4" square rear bumper.

Bolt on receiver

The flag pole holder is a bit bigger in diameter than the tent poles, so I fill with a couple of wooden sticks to keep it from rattling around.

Flag pole holder

I like having the removable flag pole holder because I can use it directly in the truck's receiver when I'm not near the trailer.  I've put up as many as 7, 4' sections without guying and had them survive some pretty strong storms.  Of course that will depend on the size of the antenna on top.

I ran it with a Buddipole and dual-band J Pole on it while in CA.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
7 4' sections unguyed.  That's good to know.  I've got 16 of those sections in the corner of my office in a duffel bag.  I rigged a guy-line harness out of some local materials but I've not gone beyond 5 sections.  

All I need to do now is sort out the best way to raise it while using the hitch holder like you've got.  With 5 sections I just lifted it straight up after it was raised.  It wasn't too hard.  I doubt I'll ever desire to build a 60' vertical out of all 16 of them, but 8 still might be a challenge.  I'll probably end up guying it with a little slack and lifting it straight up after it's raised.  I should rig a harness so I can get a better grip and use my legs to lift it in.  Or I'll order pizza, bring beer and a friend :)
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
7 4' sections unguyed.  That's good to know.  I've got 16 of those sections in the corner of my office in a duffel bag.  I rigged a guy-line harness out of some local materials but I've not gone beyond 5 sections.  

All I need to do now is sort out the best way to raise it while using the hitch holder like you've got.  With 5 sections I just lifted it straight up after it was raised.  It wasn't too hard.  I doubt I'll ever desire to build a 60' vertical out of all 16 of them, but 8 still might be a challenge.  I'll probably end up guying it with a little slack and lifting it straight up after it's raised.  I should rig a harness so I can get a better grip and use my legs to lift it in.  Or I'll order pizza, bring beer and a friend :)
View Quote

Seven sections isn't too bad to lift by hand as long as the antenna isn't heavy.  It's a little hard to describe how I do it, but here goes:

Mount the antenna to the top-most mast section and attach the coax.
Lift the first section with the antenna and add another section below it.
Lift the two sections and put the bottom one into the flag holder.
Get another section ready by leaning it against the flag pole holder or holding it between your knees.
Lift both sections out of the flag pole holder and slide the bottom one over the one you're holding.
Lift the three sections and put the mess into the flag holder.

Now the balancing act gets more difficult, but the process is repeated until you're uncomfortable balancing the upper mast sections.  Be sure to use both hands to stabilize the upper sections as you assemble them.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I told myself last fall I was going to take a long weekend hamcation.  Never got to it.  This fall is likely too busy with work. (reminds me, I need to look into reciprocals for England, Germany and Czech Republic)

My plan was to go down to the gulf coast, park my truck, raise an antenna, hang my hammock and open the scotch.  Maybe this year, but don't know if I'll get to the coast.  If I do, I'll test out this method.  Looks simple enough and was what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#17]
They told me to expect it to be ready to pick up on Tuesday.  They had someone back out and I get the one they had ordered.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They told me to expect it to be ready to pick up on Tuesday.  They had someone back out and I get the one they had ordered.
View Quote

Very nice!  Waiting on additional pictures when you have it fully equipped.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My trailer is in storage right now, so I can't get pictures for a few days.  Here's the kind of things that I used.  A little searching should find lower prices.

Bolt on receiver

The flag pole holder is a bit bigger in diameter than the tent poles, so I fill with a couple of wooden sticks to keep it from rattling around.

Flag pole holder

I like having the removable flag pole holder because I can use it directly in the truck's receiver when I'm not near the trailer.  I've put up as many as 7, 4' sections without guying and had them survive some pretty strong storms.  Of course that will depend on the size of the antenna on top.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81028

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bolt on receiver

Flag pole holder

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81028

Ordered those mounts for the antenna.  Should have them by Monday at the latest.  Expect to have it ready to go for the Ohio QSP party.  I need to improve my Fulton County QRP record so no one can beat me out. Hope everyone here works me and helps me with that.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Solar panel is hooked up and working.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Looks awesome!

I like the door in the back instead of the side.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Interior.  Simple  but usable.

Nice big electric awning.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice, km!  Where's the hook for the titanium trowel?  
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Nice, km!  Where's the hook for the titanium trowel?  
View Quote
Watch it, I'm the Intelligent Donkey around here.  

The titanium trowel goes in my new Osprey backpack. This is luxury.  It has a built-in trowel.

Re-posted in case you are blind and missed it.

Maybe you should get a titanium trowel too.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Very, very nice! Please keep sharing, I've got to live vicariously through someone!

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I gotta ask, what are the trowels for?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cat Hole
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cat Hole
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cat Hole

I thought so but why 3. is it like the 3 seashells?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cat Hole

Three different sizes for weight savings and what kind of ground you're digging the hole in, I think.  Lightest Cathole Trowels On The Planet

I get the "Demolition Man" reference, too.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Three different sizes for weight savings and what kind of ground you're digging the hole in, I think.  Lightest Cathole Trowels On The Planet

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cat Hole

And, so you can practice your juggling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top