Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 6:18:04 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Need some suggestion for a temporary vhf/uhf antenna that i can put on a painting mast.

It will act sometimes for a repeater with a surecome sr-112/ baofeng 5ra and some times in camping with a mobile .
Not to expensive but great quality for $$
Ground plane would be great but size and weight matter.  

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I think a simple 1/4W groundplane (DIY with a connector) would work just fine.

Slightly more involved would be a coax based antenna:

2M only version

dual band version

Both have the benefit of being able to be coiled up like coax. If you have a fiberglass pole like
a tent stay, just rubber band/zip tie/duct tape to it and you're done.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the ebay roll-up slim jim antennas made from 300 ohm TV twinlead.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a roll up "slim jim" antenna that works decently well. The Ed Fong's are also pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my 2m/70cm N9TAX slim Jim.  I put it up temporarily when I moved in my house, and it's been up ever since as my main VHF/UHF antenna.  Works great, and buddipole makes an ACME/NPT thread adapter that will let you attach it to the top of a painters pole.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Ed Fong DBJ-1 J pole.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't own one, but an Arrow Antenna J-Pole should work well.

http://www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got one of those on my house. Its built like a tank and works great, plus will take any wattage you can toss at it. Not the most portable though.
I own one of Ed's j poles and it gets used at the camper and for portable work. Once you put it in 3/4 thin wall pvc its only 5' long. I usually just clamp it to a painters pole with a couple spring clamps. Downside to this one is 75 watts max.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:17:38 AM EDT
[#8]
How much performance do you need, how much cost, how much size are you willing to deal with?

J poles are a waste and often do not perform well.

Simple 1/4 wave ground plane or vertical dipole will generally beat them on performance in a smaller and less expensive package. If you're willing to spend $50 and deal with something a little larger, pick up a Tram 1480 and get some real performance.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]
For my needs, i'llgive the N9TAX slim jim a try....

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Ditto the recomendations of the nice simple quarter wave vertical.

If you simply must have a J-Pole, both the Ed Fong and N9TAX versions WITH the included feedline choke work pretty well, and they are true multi-band designs that have also taken steps to mitigate common mode feedline currents.  My measurements of the N9TAX unit show common mode almost as low as a ground plane.

For more info and appropriate bashing of lesser J-Poles, see the QRZ link and Tom's link ---->

Appropriate J-Pole bashing on the zed

End Fed and J-Pole analysis at W8JI

common J-Pole uhg......

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I like my ed fong.  You could make it cheaper if you had the supplies but at $30 it's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 2 N9TAX and could not be happier with them.  I use one in the house connected to my Yaesu FT-7900 and have the other for my HTs.  I have adapters to work with my various HTs and keep that in my go bag.Inexpensive and easy to deploy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Same here.  My N9TAX has been up in a pine tree for over 3 years.  
I use it almost every week for our local net and during skywarn activations.
recommended.

Quoted:
I love my 2m/70cm N9TAX slim Jim.  I put it up temporarily when I moved in my house, and it's been up ever since as my main VHF/UHF antenna.  Works great, and buddipole makes an ACME/NPT thread adapter that will let you attach it to the top of a painters pole.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This,  I have built several of my own.  N9TAX builds them much better and cheap.  

Just tested one for a buddy having trouble reaching my house.  Roll up Jpole at 27 feet on painters pole 33 mil confirmed contact to my simplex repeater at home, (N. Indiana flat farm country.)

For longer distances or SSB I use my 4 element arrow take down antenna.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Four others stated N9TAX, and I have two of them so I would recommend it.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Four others stated N9TAX, and I have two of them so I would recommend it.

Bill
View Quote

N9TAX is tops on the roll-up

Ed Fong is tops on the PVC

this is a pretty good homebrew big stick
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've got one of those on my house. Its built like a tank and works great, plus will take any wattage you can toss at it. Not the most portable though.

I own one of Ed's j poles and it gets used at the camper and for portable work. Once you put it in 3/4 thin wall pvc its only 5' long. I usually just clamp it to a painters pole with a couple spring clamps. Downside to this one is 75 watts max.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have read that PVC can affect resonance and SWR. You might try enclosing it in a fluorescent light tube guard.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:29:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have read that PVC can affect resonance and SWR. You might try enclosing it in a fluorescent light tube guard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any insulator you put an antenna in or near to - PVC, light tubes, plastic poles etc - will change the resonant frequency. It's called dielectric effect.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ed's design has taken this into account and spec's that  5 feet of ¾ inch Class 200 PVC pipe be used. Antenna feedpoint is 10 inches above the connector.   U clamps, hose clamps, etc. can be used for mounting up to the first 10 inches of the antenna without affecting performance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I inherited a slim jim from my Family, works real good for emcom.  Was a requirement for the group grab bag.  All the members in my Step fathers ham group which supported the local community all had this antenna and some fishing line to raise it.   Swr on 2m was good, couldnt test 440 with my analyzer but it worked well...     SIMPLE DESIGN......

Prosise
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

A friend of mine makes similar antennas and they work GREAT.

http://www.k9jeb.com/OrderForm.aspx
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]
slim jim hanging from a 31ft jakite fiberglass pole, with an appropriate amount of coax.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Zed Thread on the Arrow below - it really does have  problems with pattern distortion, common mode current, SWR on high band etc....  

It's a true beauty to behold mechanically, but I'm afraid it suffers from all the typical things that make end-feds like the J-Pole underperform.  The Arrow just doesn't measure out very well (not exactly "horrible" as in the forum thread, but not good either...)   ====> https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/arrow-2m-70cm-j-pole-horrible-performance.530036/

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#24]
We buy diamond x50's for temp work and attach then to pool scrubber poles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ed Fong DBJ-1 J pole.
View Quote

For the money it's hard to beat.  I use it as my base station dual band antenna, but it's small and light enough to throw in the Jeep and run up on a painter's pole.  I usually just use the roll up j-pole out of my EDC bag or if I'm on the bike the N9TAX slim jim in the saddle bag and some Type A cord to string it up in a tree.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#26]
N9TAX taped or ty-wrapped to two sections of fiberglass milsurp camo net poles.

Put those on top of the GoVertical mast assembly.

https://go-vertical-usa.myshopify.com/collections/portable-tripod-mast-kits/products/antenna-tripod-29ft-aluminum-portable-tower-mast-kit

You are done.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

My SAR group/Rescue Squad is getting an X50C2. I'll be sure to let y'all know how it works!
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Is that the commercial version?

I looked at those but it seemed that they were slightly outside of the range that I wanted.

Quoted:

My SAR group/Rescue Squad is getting an X50C2. I'll be sure to let y'all know how it works!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:52:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

N9TAX taped or ty-wrapped to two sections of fiberglass milsurp camo net poles.

Put those on top of the GoVertical mast assembly.

https://go-vertical-usa.myshopify.com/collections/portable-tripod-mast-kits/products/antenna-tripod-29ft-aluminum-portable-tower-mast-kit

You are done.
View Quote
Do have any experience with that tower kit? I'm looking for something more substantial when I'm car camping for extended periods. It'd be nice to drag along to the family beach house as well. Can't mount anything there since it's a communal house that everyone has access to. Took a drag out fight to get a DirecTV dish installed

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:59:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I looked at those but it seemed that they were slightly outside of the range that I wanted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, its rated just outside of our primary simplex frequencies and a good 4.5MHz outside our primary repeater input. My gut tells me it should be fine for our uses, though... I'm still waiting on Diamond to respond to my email requesting a SWR graph for a wider band.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top