Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2016 2:53:37 PM EDT
Still very new Tech here but I'm interested in learning Morse. After a week of searching and a few bids on other keys, the iambic paddles seem like they would be a better choice.
My issue is prices on these items. They seem like very simple devices and am wondering if anyone has built their own from readily available parts sourced from hardware stores ?
Are there any plans available to build one ?

Am I missing something as to why a simple device like this costs so much to purchase ?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
They are a "bling" item.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]

I looked into iambic when I decided to learn morse.

Then I decided i needed to learn for a while on a straight key.

Then I made a simple swiper.

After using those two I have no desire for an iambic....the potential speed increase comes at too high a price (in practice) for me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Google "homebrew iambic paddle" and look at the images. There's a million ways to build a paddle and you can make it as cheap or expensive as you like.
My buddy made a straight key from some paint stir sticks and an ignition point set and I made a paddle from an old D-104 PTT switch back in the day.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I am certain that you can make something better than the MFJ-564B.  I hate sending with that piece of junk.

I doubt that the average person could make something like the Kent TP-1 unless they're a machinist or similar.  A good paddle is a precision device with tight tolerances needed to send code at a reasonably high speed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the American Morse porta paddle on a heavy base. It isn't the nicest paddle on earth, but it is well made and without the base easily portable. I like it.

That said, I am increasingly convinced straight key is the way to go. The SKCC might be the kings of promoting ham so far as I can tell, along with SOTA.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#6]
My favorite set of paddles is the Brown Bros. Iambic. Unfortunately the company no longer exists, but they can be found on eBay and occasionally at hamfests. There are no critical pivots to adjust, just well-anchored pieces of spring steel. It has a very light touch and adjustment of the tension and gap is easily done.

I'd recommend that you include a straight key in your repertoire, If for nothing else to get in on the two SKCC monthly Sprints. Of course, the two sides of the paddles could be wired together and used as a Cootie Key or Sideswiper for the events.

If you choose to forego the straight key events, you can always find QRS QSOs around the SKCC operating frequencies. They're listed on the website linked above. The website also has a page geared toward those just getting started in CW.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a Bencher BY-1 for $30. It's not that hard to find decent deals.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Make mine next key a Begali Simplex Pro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top