Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2016 9:09:36 PM EDT
Poll inbound.
How or why are you hanging out in probably the best ham forum? What brought you here?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It wasn't until I started looking through the main threads and what else was on the site that I came into the HAM area and was checking it before I was licensed I think the group here Jedi and a few of the others are what really pushed me to start working on my licenses.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in the Arfcom Survival Forum around 10 years ago and had just setup my shack the year before.  Licensed way before that but off the air for a long time.  I got on the air with several Survival Forum members back then.  Most don't chat here in this sub-forum, but I occasionally still come across some of them in other parts of Arfcom.

ETA:  I was in the Arfcom Ham Forum before there was one.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
For me it was ARF, then Survival forum, then Ham as another part of Survival.  Now mostly Ham.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had my license since I was 10 and have gone through periods of varying interest in ham radio. Oddly this is pretty much the best ham radio forum on the net
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't remember which search brought me here.  I don't even own an ar or ak.
But what hooked me was the "Can't Fail" thread.  Which led me to my General on the first shot.
What has kept me is the ongoing good advice and a desire to contribute back when I can.

Quoted:
Poll inbound.
How or why are you hanging out in probably the best ham forum? What brought you here?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a member here for a long time before I got my license.
Back in 2009 my profession presented me with the opportunity to get licensed as a tech.
The day I passed my tech exam I bought the book for my general....and the day I passed that I bought the book from my extra.
Been loving DX ever since
Took about 4 years off....mostly because my daughter was born a little over 4 years ago
Very recently I decided to fire up the radios again and start working on my logbook again.

Always enjoyed having a subforum at a site that was already home to me.
Really nice to connect with fellow arfcommers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Been a ham since 1993

Bought my first AR around 1987

Was on the old AR15 board, and the mailing list before that.

I don't remember who or when I found the ARFCOM ham forum,...probably surfing "ACTIVE TOPICS"

I remember around 2010,  talking to a bunch of you guys on the 80m ARFCOM net, sitting in the parking lot of my daughters karate practice, on my old FT-857/tarheel II

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys got me into this.

I came here looking for a man cave decorator piece and look at me now!
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure I saw the booofang thread pop up in active topics that started me down the path to darkness.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Ham was the first step I took in getting prepped for Bad Things (TM), mostly because with my background, I knew the test for my tech would be trivial.

I post far more here than on the zed because there is a better s/n ratio here and nobody here is afraid of scary black guns.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I was on ARf for black rifle info first...  then I got sucked into reloading, and spent lots of quality time on the ARf reloading forum.  Somehow the vortex of life skills to acquire / hobbies sucked me in here and you guys have been pointing out how I should spend money ever since.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:38:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was on ARf for black rifle info first...  then I got sucked into reloading, and spent lots of quality time on the ARf reloading forum.  Somehow the vortex of life skills to acquire / hobbies sucked me in here and you guys have been pointing out how I should spend money ever since.
View Quote

You should spend it on guns and reloading
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I was in ar15 for shooting & survival info and at the time the hams hashed it out on the survival forum. IIRC it was ar-jedi and kwai-chang being the lead in getting a separate board for us radio heads. Many thanks to all those that helped.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#14]
If I'm going to hang around a ham forum, I may as well hang around the best one.

I joined ARF in the early 2000's, when I was building AR-15s.  Somewhere along the way I managed to forget my password and could never get signed in again.  So for a couple of years I was just a lurker.  I joined again in 2009, and this time I wrote my password down.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I got fed up when *that other*  forum adopted their politically correct "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" mindset, so came here looking for a more adult-oriented website.

IOW, I prefer quality over quantity.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I kept popping into the Survival Forum to read the Ham posts before there was a Ham Radio Forum.  In 2006/2007 there were a number of requests to AR15.com Staff for a dedicated Ham subforum, but we kept being told that there wouldn't be enough traffic to make it worth their time.  Then one day this happened:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/604129_Here_s_your_forum_guys___enjoy_.html
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I was an ARFCOM member already, as well as a ham already. Found this subject through active topics and have stayed here because, quite frankly, most of the other radio forum sucks
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Ham since '92, AR fan concurrently.  I have always lurked more than I've posted because the information and good times aren't diminished too much by passive participation.  I thought ham radio was swirling the bowl never to make a comeback and then I saw all the Arfcom youngsters interested in it and my heart was gladdened.  Amateur communication seems to be experiencing a significant surge again, and rightfully so. With Arfham, I love that my two main interests are fused into one delicious cereal.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a sailboat.  I have blue water aspirations for my retirement.  

I thought I could buy a satellite phone and that would solve the Over The Horizon communications situation.  Then I started looking at costs.  Even today they are stupid expensive.  1300 for the phone and 3 bucks a minute.   Nope, that ain't gonna get it.  

Found out about Marine HF service.  A stroke a check license not a skills test like ham.  The radio I came here to ask about the ICOM IC-M802 also works on the ham bands.  

ARJedi and Gamma762 explained this to me and here I am.  A general class ham.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I kept popping into the Survival Forum to read the Ham posts before there was a Ham Radio Forum.  In 2006/2007 there were a number of requests to AR15.com Staff for a dedicated Ham subforum, but we kept being told that there wouldn't be enough traffic to make it worth their time.  Then one day this happened:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/604129_Here_s_your_forum_guys___enjoy_.html
View Quote

Holy cow! I was in on page one in that thread!
I've been a ham since 1990. I started lurking on ARF about 2002-3 and joined in 2006. Shortly after joining they created the Ham forum.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I came for the black rifle, stayed for the black radio. I've been licensed since 2011, found this place not long after that.  The best tech forum on the whole site.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I voted wrong, accidentally, but oh well. The truth is I was very interested in ham radio a few years back and bought an Icom IC-2200H in the hopes that I would get licensed, etc. That never happened. I still have the 2200H, finally got licensed last year, and upgraded this year, but I find myself here are arfcom more because the users seem to align more with my intentions or linkings. A lot of the ham world is, let's just say, rather old.... and not very interesting. I was originally interested in the hobby for emcomm and prepping.I was also an arfcom member before I realized there was a ham section
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Had my first ham license (tech) back in the 90s but never really engaged and it lapsed.  I was on Arfcom during that same time frame when I was actively building ARs.  Life changed, moved on, etc... and I forgot my original login.  My interest in ham radio was re-ignited about two years ago and I tested and passed both tech and general on the same day.  I'm here now because every time I researched something that I was interested in, nearly all searches ended up here in this forum.  This is truly the best collection of ham operators on the web.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For me it was ARF, then Survival forum, then Ham as another part of Survival.  Now mostly Ham.  
View Quote

Ha, this sums my trip better than I could ... are you stalking me ?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Found this place while I was researching ham radio a few years ago.
Searched "ham radio forum" and this site popped up.
Quickly decided this was the best source of ham radio information.

Once here I looked around and got interested in an AR-15.

Fast forward a few years and I am an armature extra and have a brand new AR-15.

This site cost me a ton of money with all the great talk about radios, guns, flashlights...
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I came for the Survival + other outdoors forums, then I found the ham threads, then we got our own ham forum, and I never left

I still don't own an AR-15 heh
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS+1
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Found this forum while doing preliminary research on the Elecraft KX3 before I purchased one. The general tenor of discussions here just seemed significantly more aligned with my particular radio interests.

And that, as the man said, has made all the difference...   Jim
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Its interesting how many people found their way here that weren't ArF before.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Its interesting how many people found their way here that weren't ArF before.
View Quote

I've been trying to steer a bit more traffic here recently. I've talked to quite a few people that are looking for a group that fits them better than some of the other forums, as well as a couple that lurk here but didn't know we had a radio forum.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I was already on Arfcom , i like to build rifles and it was where we posted scores for our 3 gun matches . I didnt even know it had a ham section and then a couple of buddies i shoot with decided to get our Tech license for 2 meter , Got licensed in 2011 and now im an Extra .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top