Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2016 11:08:29 PM EDT
Myself I like NXDN and DMR. Nothing like digital operating! As Jamie once said on Mythbusters "It's Private"
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Myself I like NXDN and DMR. Nothing like digital operating! As Jamie once said on Mythbusters "It's Private"
View Quote

Looks interesting, but from the sound of it you need dedicated radios for it, correct?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks interesting, but from the sound of it you need dedicated radios for it, correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes sir, For DMR access you'll need a Motorola XPR handheld/mobile radio, Hytera or a Connect Systems radio. For NXDN you'll need a either a Icom IDAS capable or Kenwood NXDN radio to be able to access NXDN.

Edit forgot this website that has live audio feeds for DMR around the world.

http://hose.brandmeister.network/

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
High speed CW. Decoded by ear, transmitted by computer.

In contest form, because I hate talking to hams
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

P25 for me. And when I realy want to be private I go on P25 LMR encrypted with AES-256. Now that's how to be private.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Fldigi

I'm also a fan of DMR and looking forward to it getting more ham features
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#6]
CW and probably RTTY

SSB, if I'm mobile  ( HF )

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fldigi

View Quote

fldigi isn't a mode
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:48:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Olivia 16/500, JT65/JT9, and transitioning to CW.  (They're ALL pretty slow, like me...   )
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
P25 for me. And when I realy want to be private I go on P25 LMR encrypted with AES-256. Now that's how to be private.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never tried P25 but here where I live in Florida it's a popular digital format here.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 2:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Fldigi

View Quote

I always have been a fan of DMR. I wish NXDN would take off like the way DMR did.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]
SSB phone, AM phone, then Contestia 8/500 digital.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#12]
CW, hand-sent using straight key and bug. Preferred formats are ragchew, chasing DX, and operating the SKCC Sprints because of their (comparatively) detailed exchange -- call, RST, QTH, name, and member number.

The only digital operated was packet, back around 1990.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Olivia 16/500, JT65/JT9, and transitioning to CW. (They're ALL pretty slow, like me...   )
View Quote

What?!  You are NOT faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings with a single bound?

(Welcome to the club.)
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#14]
DMR
SSB Voice
MT65-2000

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Never tried P25 but here where I live in Florida it's a popular digital format here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you like more of the technical crowd you find us on P25.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#16]
JT-65, the absolute best mode if you don't want to talk about Bunions or other health problems.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#17]
WSPR - I like seeing thousands of contacts per hour, every hour, pop up on the server
              Great for real time propogation maping

JT65 / JT9 - weak signal performance is amazing

CW - getting into it as DX and DXPeditions start interesting me more

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried using my scanner to scan some of the P25 frequencies for Amateur Radio and it was dead for the past week so I guess it's not being used right now.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#19]
JT65 and JT9. It lets me sit and watch TV with my wife in the evenings and play radio at the same time. Since I live in a townhome, I'm QRP with an AlexLoop 100% of the time and JT modes still allow me to make a good amount of contacts and work DX. There's also enough DX using JT modes to keep things interesting.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Always enjoyed SSB, having a lot of fun with psk and Olivia, enjoying CW more as I learn it and make a few QSOs, but my work schedule is keeping me from studying like I should
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Give me a month and it will probably be something different..  For now I sure do enjoy SSB DX..  Working on cw and will hopefully be making more contacts in the future..    

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I like several, but CW is fast becoming my "go to" mode for DX. I still enjoy JT65, PSK, Olivia &  RTTY. I do very little phone now. I enjoy chasing DX & CW will bag you more than other modes.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I tried using my scanner to scan some of the P25 frequencies for Amateur Radio and it was dead for the past week so I guess it's not being used right now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See if you can locate one that is on the "Quantar Site Connect" network. It's a world wide P25 network. It's growing and about to have a lot more added to it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I just like tuning up on different frequencies and yelling Ola,Ola,Ola , would that be considered a mode.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#25]
SSB Phone contesting. I'm not a rag chewer.
Digital would have to be packet followed closely by RTTY and receiving WEFAX. I miss the old days and the 24 pin dot matrix printer grinding away.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#26]
CW, any Digital mode, and lastly Phone.

I am an avid DXer, so with nothing but a wire CW followed works best for me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#27]
SSB for me. Kinda like AM for casual simplex operation on VHF although haven't had opportunity to do that in a long time.

Digital voice modes sound like people drowning to me, find them annoying. Wish someone would make a higher bandwidth digital mode with decent sound quality that doesn't have to conform to the idiotic LMR bandwidth restrictions. Yaesu missed the opportunity with the Fusion system for that.

I'm sure I'm would like PSK, computer CW or other computer controlled digital modes if I had a radio and computer set up to do that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Hellschreiber is probably my favorite, when the opportunity presents itself.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I always have been a fan of DMR. I wish NXDN would take off like the way DMR did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fldigi

With Kenwood offering a DMR update for the NX line...I doubt NXDN will gain any more traction than it has. When looking at conventional systems, it is the lower cost option...once you start trunking or needing two talk paths or more at a single site, DMR blows it out of the water.

I'm a DMR guy for UHF but P25 for VHF. However, with the scanner companies moving to MotoTRBO compatible scanners, if you want privacy you really have to look into either encrypting or a Tier III setup.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

SSB for me. Kinda like AM for casual simplex operation on VHF although haven't had opportunity to do that in a long time.

Digital voice modes sound like people drowning to me, find them annoying. Wish someone would make a higher bandwidth digital mode with decent sound quality that doesn't have to conform to the idiotic LMR bandwidth restrictions. Yaesu missed the opportunity with the Fusion system for that.
View Quote
Nor have I. It's probably been 18? years since I've used AM on VHF.

I always thought it was a gas. Problem with not being particularly interested in HF is that there are no new (that i know of or can find) VHF/UHF multimode rigs available without adding HF to the equation.

An older VHF/UHF multimode rig is on my list of things to purchase for the shack.

I guess now that I've added to the discussion:

Big D-Star fan so i guess it's my favorite.

Been using DMR with a bluespot/bluestack & Rpi combo.....It's growing on me.

P25 would be cool to try out but there are zero repeaters in this end of the Puget Sound. Does P25 work that well on a DV4mini (edit....the home hasn't launched yet) to bother with plus does it have reflectors/talkgroups like D-Star and DMR?

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:...

I'm sure I'm would like PSK, computer CW or other computer controlled digital modes if I had a radio and computer set up to do that.
View Quote

You should...it's a lot of fun  

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Whatever mode has traffic when I am able to operate!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top