Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2016 4:48:23 PM EDT
I finally got my dacron rope on Saturday so I rehung my G5RV with a tensioner on one end.  It's simply a 10# cinder block running though (2) eye hooks and a pulley.  Wind was blowing good today and got to watch the cinder block move up and down as the tree swayed.

The rope to the right of the block is what hoisted the pulley into the tree

Pulley about 35' up in the tree

Far side of the antenna showing the anchor point about 45' up in the tree with the 2nd arrow showing the tensioner side of the rope.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Good setup! You may want to space the block away from the trunk a bit or use some carpet to protect the tree trunk from scraping.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll eventually swap it out with something smaller and more tree friendly.  Mostly depends upon what I find during garage sale season.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Used weight sets are at virtually every yard sale. You'd have a lifetime supply of  tacticool, "tension agile" counterweights.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a few garage door springs holding mine - pretty interesting to watch the trees move and them flex
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:32:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Look for old window sash weights. They are slim torpedo shaped things. We used to have a bunch lying around at my grandparent house years ago. Used them for all sorts of things, even canoe anchors.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
in a few years, as that tree grows, it will surround that screwed in eyelet.

it will begin to look like it's been screwed in too far, and eventually will end up inside the tree
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top