Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2016 6:19:37 PM EDT
I bought a couple of Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and installed OpenElec/Kodi for my TV's, but was curious what everyone else is using theirs for?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
FLRIG and FLDIGI install with only a couple command line instructions. USB interface to my IC7100 is painless, works every time even better than the screwy serial drivers on my laptop. I usually leave it running, logging stuff on pskreporter, and reboot every couple days before it crashes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm running a D-Star Hotspot (DV Mega) with mine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one in my truck for digital HF
1 at home for adsb
1 in my tool bag for a ethernet packet capture device
There use to be one in the shack for packet/aprs with a pi TNC.

The 3s are a great improvement with the wifi and bluetooth
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Experiments with time-lapse and motion-activated photography...

Inventing some future product(s) (since prototyping a wireless device is so easy with it).

etc.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I just started playing with the RPi a few months ago.

I've got one running a script to view my IP cameras plugged into HDMI port 4 of my TV.
Since that one runs 24/7 I also run the Ubiquiti Unifi Server software for my wireless AP constellation.

I have one running as a temperature data logger and display for indoor and outdoor temps.

I'm playing with on right now to operate a relay to control my garage door and using the Amazon Echo to add voice control (copied off a similar setup I saw on Youtube).

I loaded and ran Plex server on a RPi3 but it didn't quite have the power it needed, there were latencies and some issues since I run all the media from a NAS.  
A local SATA disk might help with that, but I've abandoned that project.

I want to set one up in a mini cabinet to run MAME.
I also want to make one of the Smart Mirrors for our Master Bath (lots of projects on the net showing how-to).
Perhaps an irrigation controller too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
D-star DVAP on my pi3.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]
IRLP Node

Time server

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I use mine to support scientific research.  I have 8 Pi 2s online and 8 More Pi 3 sitting in the box.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow....lots of interesting uses.

I bought one to as a media center and so far its really neat.  

I think I am going to buy another one just to play with.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]
RasPlex
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't know anything about Linux or the Raspberry Pi until I got one back in early 2015. A lot has happened since then, and I have pretty much forgotten all of it. But here is the thread, along with step by step instructions for dummies on pg. 3 on how to take a Raspberry pi 2 and a TNC Pi and build an APRS station that will act as an iGate or Digipeater. If you follow all the steps correctly, it will automatically boot up and begin functioning even after a loss of power.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple of HAM related RPI projects coming up, that I will post AARs.

One project is a "DV4mini" C4FM / DSTAR / DMR Hotspot. Described Here: http://www.va2pv.com/dv4mini

• In essence it makes the RPi into an "HT to digital reflectors gateway" - digital HTs communicate thru the DV4mini (acting as a transceiver), connected to an RPi/computer, then over the internet to the "reflectors".

• This is perfect for those of us who aren't in range of digital repeaters yet.

• It does not appear to allow "cross-mode digital communication";  DSTAR HT's connect to DSTAR nodes, Yaesu C4FM HTs connect to Yaesu "reflectors" (but not Wires-X), and DMR HTs will connect to DMR reflectors.

Another project is to make a portable RPI SDR Scanner with touch screen

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
A buddy of mine who just got his ham license (0 to General, then AE a week later) has been having a blast with an RPi2 that I gave him and the TAPR 20M WSPR-Pi Shield. He borrowed my AlexLoop the other day and on 0.1 watt he's gotten to the west coast and Europe from SE PA. Using a 20M dipole, he's gotten to New Zealand on 0.1 watt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top