Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2016 5:48:30 PM EDT
Baofeng Tech has announced a new version of their 2M/440 UV-2501. As the name implies, the UV-2501+220 is a tri-bander that includes 220. We were kinda hoping for this since other branded versions of the radio were said to support 240. They've got their custom version that includes 220.

Links
Baofeng Tech site - UV-2501+220
Amazon ($139.89) - my link
My Blog coverage - more will be added as I get mine next week!

Specs:

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?
BTECH UV-2501+220 Mobile
Mounting Bracket and Hardware
Remote Speaker Mic and Mic Bracket
Inline Fuse and DC Connectors

FEATURES
25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable (Wide/Narrow Band)
FM Radio (65.0MHz-108.0MHz)
Large Tri-color LCD Display (3 Selectable Colors)
High /Low RF Power Switchable
50 CTCSS/ 104 DCS Tones
5Tone Support
2Tone Support
Voice Inversion (Scrambling) Support
Tone searching/scanning
Dual standby
PC programmable
Transmitter time-out timer(TOT)
Busy channel lock-out(BCLO)
Remote Stun/Kill

UV-2501+220 MINI SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency range:
[TX] 136 - 174MHz, 210 - 230MHz, 400 - 520MHz
[RX] 136 - 174MHz, 210 - 230MHz, 400 - 520MHz, 68-108MHz (FM Broadcast)
Channel Capacity:
200 Channels
Channel Spacing
25KHz (wide band)12.5KHz (narrow band)
Sensitivity
=0.25µV (wide band)  =0.35µV (narrow band)
Operation Voltage
13.6V DC ±20%
Frequency step:
2.5-25KHz Selectable
Antenna:
Antenna Connector: SO-239
Stability:
±2.5ppm
Output power:
25W / 10W
Audio Power Output
2500mW/10%

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It'd be great if these had simultaneous receive.

We have absolutely zero 222 activity around here, although I've always been a fan of the band due to low noise and interference and good propagation characteristics.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The bad news about 220 is fewer people use it, but the great news is fewer people use it. It's nice to hang out in less populated corners sometimes.

:)
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Will it connect to a normal base station type power supply? I don't see a different power supply cable as an option. What would it take if not a simple plug and play?

Nice radio, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it just needs red to red and black to black
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you know if they have corrected the fluttering receive audio with the CTCSS decode system that is present in the standard version of the UV-2501?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will it connect to a normal base station type power supply? I don't see a different power supply cable as an option. What would it take if not a simple plug and play?

Nice radio, thanks.
View Quote

Anderson power poles for the win!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you know if they have corrected the fluttering receive audio with the CTCSS decode system that is present in the standard version of the UV-2501?
View Quote

I just posted about this before I came here to check this thread. According to John, who has had a beta version for a while, he can't reproduce the problem in the UV-2501+220.

I'll test when I get mine at the end of the week.

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nice radio, thanks.
View Quote

Others are right about using Anderson Power Poles or just connecting up the wires - no magic to it. Here is a different picture that will show a little better what you would be getting.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Spec on it says 13.6v +/- 20%  (10.9v - 16.3v), so if you watch the full charge voltage on a 4S LiPo & keep it to 16v, you could run one as a source without any extra voltage regulation...  just a voltage readout to avoid over-discharge.  Just add a plastic dry-box and that could make for the start of a fairly light weight 25w portable.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I may have to reconsider my ban on CCRs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I loves me some 220!

It's all but unused in my area, so simplex coms are easy and fairly private. We have a few local repeaters, but I've never heard a peep out of them except for a scheduled net. It also seems to propagate well (better than the usual 2 meter / 440 FM) through the low hills and canyons typical of my county.

I have been considering adding a 220 mobile unit to my home station and have been looking at the Alinco DR-235T, but will have to consider this one as well.

Thanks for the "heads up!" Jim...

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#12]
They are also selling an antenna and mount. I wonder if they will eventually sell the radio, antenna, and mount as bundle.

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Amazon shows them in stock.  Who will be the first to get one?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'll be watching them.  I've been wanting a 220 radio for a while, and other than a couple HTs there is not a lot out there.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder how well that antenna would do without a vehicle under it for a ground plane?

I remember my dad used a mag-mount CB antenna in the attic, which he set on a piece of steel sheet perhaps 12"x14". Seemed to perform very well, and we would chat most nights as I drove home from work over distances as great as 20 miles or so. Hmm....
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Brick,

Thanks, as always, for a quality review of the chicom radios.

This looks like a very inexpensive way to get on 220.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:55:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know about "first," but I can tell you that Amazon has one less in stock now.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't know about "first," but I can tell you that Amazon has one less in stock now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make that two.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First?

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I just posted about this before I came here to check this thread. According to John, who has had a beta version for a while, he can't reproduce the problem in the UV-2501+220.

Cheers,

Brick

The Radios
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers,

Brick

The Radios

Thanks for the info Brick, that is great news.

Best,

Radiolax
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

(Quote Snip: Photo of new Baofeng)

View Quote

Do you have access to test equipment? I'd like to see the spurious emissions on all three bands, if you have time, please.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do you have access to test equipment? I'd like to see the spurious emissions on all three bands, if you have time, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm waiting for the ARRL lab to review these before I get excited.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice find.  I've been wanting to buy a 220 radio and wanted a cheap one since I probably won't use it often.  We do have some 220 repeaters in my area of SE PA.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't have my own test equipment, but if I can arrange it, I will definitely test for spurious emissions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#25]
my Bridgecomm 220 mobile should be here in about a week
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yikes, did you guys see the review on amazon posted yesterday in regards to spectral purity? Not sure if he just got a dud radio or if this is what it is. Does anyone have any test to compare to the guy on amazon?
I was thinking about getting one, but will hold off for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top