Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 1:16:41 PM EDT
Trying to decide where to put the ham shack(s) in the house.

Background, I'm a fairly new ham, got my general last year. Right now I use a HT to talk to the local repeater and I just got a couple dongles to play
with. Managed to get the aircraft tracking to work! Trying to talk DW into getting her license. We live on a 240 acre farm in a rural area.

Right now I'm trying to get a base station set up for 2m/70cm, and a scanner, probably using the dongles. I also have a MURS Dakota driveway alert and
have thought about using MURS to communicate around the farm for when we have folks over for hunting, shooting etc. I have a 40' tip up TV tower right
next to the house that I plan on putting a 2M/70CM antenna and discone on. Plan on HF in the future. At this time my priorities are learning, day to day
comms around the farm, and being prepared for SHTF type events. I don't see myself doing a lot of rag chewing.

Locations in the house I'm considering are, the Gun room/safe room in the basement, a corner of the living room on the first floor, and the second floor
office with a nice view.    

For the main ham shack I'm trying to decide between the gun room and the upstairs office. I spend a lot of time in the gun room reloading and working on
guns, so it would be nice to have the radios there, and it could be our go to spot in some SHTF events (storms, etc). My big reluctance is the increased
possibility of fire near my reloading supplies (properly stored) from lightning. I plan on using lighting arrestors at the cable entrance and proper
grounding. Am I being too paranoid about this or are there other ways to mitigate the danger?

I would also like to have a secondary 'shack' in the living room for a 2m/70cm/MURS radio and scanner for day to day comms. The scanner would probably
get the most use during deer season to hear how the neighbors are doing :). Would it work to use a coax switch to route both the 2m/7cm antenna and the
discone to either location?

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would choose a first floor or basement if an HF station is planned in the future. RF grounding is a bit more tricky for HF radios than low power (under 100 Watts) VHF/UHF. This does not mean a second floor or higher wont work. It can be done if you follow proper grounding technics and preferably keep your HF antennas away from the house. Your VHF/UHF antenna location would not matter as long as it's structurally sound and properly grounded. Every installation is different. It would not be wise to use a cookie cutter advice unless we know all the details about coax, antenna and grounding installation.
BTW, My dad lives in a large milti-apartment building on the fifth floor. This does not prevent him from having a kilowatt HF station with a huge cubic quad antennas on a 100 ft tower not far from the shack. It took some trial and error to find an optimal coax length and grounding configuration to keep stray RF at bay.
You can put a coax switch to route coax to either location. Make sure its rated for the highest used frequency. There will be some insertion loss. I would advise against using coax switches above 200 Mhz.
Lightning protection can be tricky. An inline coax protector will protect your radios from a nearby lightning strike. All bets are off if you get a direct strike. I prefer to disconnect all coax cables at the entrance section and keep them at least 4 ft away from the SES box. My tower is the highest object in a 2 mile radius. I dont want to take any chances.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
240 acres. Umm. Pardon me while I drool a bit contemplating a potential antenna farm layout. Being rural, you should be away from RFI generated by the external solid state devices and appliances that surround our homes. It can be a big problem on HF. The ones inside your house and on your property you can do something about. The neighbors' can be considerably more difficult.

I prefer surface level installations because of grounding requirements.

You're not being paranoid about lightning. Whenever my station is not in use, I disconnect the coax just outside of the house and roll it up away from the house. In my case it's about 50' to where the line drops down from the antenna.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I'm leaning toward the basement for the ham shack, mostly because I think the radios would get more use if I can combine the two hobbies (guns and ham). If the coax switches were switched away from the basement when not in use I suppose that might help limit sparks. I'm also thinking about using a patch panel and grounding out the antennas when not in use.

I'm starting to work on the specifics now. I'll probably start a new thread for help on that.

Down the road I'll definitely be looking for ideas for HF antennas. I do have plenty of room to play and a few features that may or may not be useful like a 65' silo.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can you expand please? I ask because my shack is on 2nd floor and my yrs. away have made some most of this confusing. Last night I took out 2015 ARRL handbook and my take away is (for me) take a 3 prong power strip and plug your power, radio ground, etc. into it for a bonded ground of all of the previous mentioned. Right now just doing VHF/UHF. My antenna right now is a NMO Browning magnet on a steel file cabinet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would choose a first floor or basement if an HF station is planned in the future. RF grounding is a bit more tricky for HF radios than low power (under 100 Watts) VHF/UHF. This does not mean a second floor or higher wont work. It can be done if you follow proper grounding technics and preferably keep your HF antennas away from the house. Your VHF/UHF antenna location would not matter as long as it's structurally sound and properly grounded. Every installation is different. It would not be wise to use a cookie cutter advice unless we know all the details about coax, antenna and grounding installation.
BTW, My dad lives in a large milti-apartment building on the fifth floor. This does not prevent him from having a kilowatt HF station with a huge cubic quad antennas on a 100 ft tower not far from the shack. It took some trial and error to find an optimal coax length and grounding configuration to keep stray RF at bay.
You can put a coax switch to route coax to either location. Make sure its rated for the highest used frequency. There will be some insertion loss. I would advise against using coax switches above 200 Mhz.
Lightning protection can be tricky. An inline coax protector will protect your radios from a nearby lightning strike. All bets are off if you get a direct strike. I prefer to disconnect all coax cables at the entrance section and keep them at least 4 ft away from the SES box. My tower is the highest object in a 2 mile radius. I dont want to take any chances.

Can you expand please? I ask because my shack is on 2nd floor and my yrs. away have made some most of this confusing. Last night I took out 2015 ARRL handbook and my take away is (for me) take a 3 prong power strip and plug your power, radio ground, etc. into it for a bonded ground of all of the previous mentioned. Right now just doing VHF/UHF. My antenna right now is a NMO Browning magnet on a steel file cabinet.

Yes please, I was going to put my shack on the 2nd floor too.  Shorter coax runs and the walk-in closet I'll use is above the garage and thus away fm the electronic stuff in the house.  I was going to ground the coax out side the house on the soffit/facia before it comes in the house and the run the ground wire (strap?) to a ground rod from there.  I'd like to use my chimney as an anchor point for my antenna(s).  For now I'm just working on setting up a dipole to listen with.  I don't know how long it will take until my call sign is posted on the FCC website.  If need be I can run another ground to the out side from within the closet with minimal disruptions if the above mentioned power strip doesn't work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top