Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2015 1:21:40 AM EDT

Lion_Dog posted a thread about his pending receipt of a new Yeasu FT-991. I asked that he submit a quick review about it once he was on the air, as I was in the market for the same rig. As fortune would have it, I wound up grabbing one from the local HRO, and so - if it is of interest to anyone - I guess the ball is in my court for a short eval.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I was looking at the FT-991 only because my brother was setting up his station and had selected this radio. We like to have twin gear where possible, as it can simplify things. My prior main radio was the Yeasu FT-897, which I have REALLY enjoyed. Left to my own devices, I would have stayed happily married to the old girl, but now, grumble grumble, I needed to change gear. Now that I’ve spent a little time with the FT-991, I must admit that the good ‘ol FT-897 does seem rather dated!

The biggest change I’ve noticed isn’t the whiz-bang touch screen, it’s the quality of the receive audio. Ever since I added a KX3 to the station, I’ve noticed how “muddy” the audio of the FT-897 was. It’s not that you couldn’t use it, but it was a little fatiguing to decipher weak stations. By contrast, the FT-991 has very clean audio. Stations just above the noise level are significantly easier to copy.

That touch screen is quite the convenience factor when it comes to setting up memories for my local VHF / UHF repeaters. Appending a name to a memory channel no longer requires slowly turning the VFO through a lengthy list of alpha numeric characters. It’s as easy as knocking out a text on your smart phone. Direct frequency entry is also possible through the touch screen. Again, considerably more convenient than having only the VFO.

Touching the “band” button brings up a screen which lets you quickly choose which band to jump to. Also, you can ”teach” this band screen which frequencies you wish to navigate to within that band. I use a similar function on the KX3 to quickly jump to the lower end of my general class privileges within a given band, and this is a real time saver.

The DSP and notch filtering capabilities of this rig are supposed to be quite good. Haven’t really played with them yet but will be doing so.

The built in antenna tuner has worked very well, tuning my Chameleon Emcomm end-fed on 10 through 75 meters without complaint. It even seems to tune up on 60 meters, which my LDG tuner on the 897 was reluctant to do.

The band scope feature is not something I was longing for, but it is interesting to be able to see that there is a signal just up or down the band and tune to it.

Despite its greater complexity, I found the FT-991 to be quite intuitive in operation. I hooked it up and ran it for a time with no issues, checking the manual only when I was ready to create and label memories for the local repeaters.

Negatives? Nothing huge noted at this time, but the control layout is a bit cramped. I have found myself using the VFO lock button, as I frequently bump the VFO when reaching for other controls. Turning resistance of the VFO is said to be adjustable, and I may need to tighten it up.

It’s a tiny thing, but I would prefer the key jack be on the back of the unit. It just makes for one less cable sticking out the front of the rig.

I also miss the meter port on the FT-897, as I still like to look at an analog meter and really liked my LDG meter in concert with the FT-897.

I know that’s not a very thorough evaluation, but my exposure to the new rig has been limited. There are some negative reviews of this radio on line, and I hope those were just the result of “teething problems” with early production. If you are in the market for a new rig with modern features, give the FT-991 a look.

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up!  Curious as to the cost, I went to Universal Radio's website.  Only $529!   No,wait, that's MSRP for the antenna.....!  Ah, here's the price.  Reasonable for all the radio will do.

Back in the olden days the manufacturers were having a hard time keeping noise down with those big posh displays.  Yaesu must have resolved that.

73, Ray
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the write up. One of the things that I am not clear on from the published specs is will it do C4FM across the board or just in the vhf-uhf bands ? A freind of mine is looking at one and this issue came up in conversation last nite. For me though a new rig is not in the cards for a long while or I have to sell of a bunch of stuff here first. Plus Id like to see how they do after they have been out and in use for a while.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]
offctr-

Not sure about the answer to your question. I know my friend Joe, N6SIX, posted a video about using the C4FM feature on a 10 meter contact between San Diego and Atlanta. Band conditions were less than stellar, and the results were mixed.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOpduRNpe6Q

Still in the "honeymoon" phase with this radio, but I do like it. Spent a little time playing with the DSP and contour filtering on some weak signals. It seems MILES ahead of what the FT-897 would do.

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

offctr-

Not sure about the answer to your question. I know my friend Joe, N6SIX, posted a video about using the C4FM feature on a 10 meter contact between San Diego and Atlanta. Band conditions were less than stellar, and the results were mixed.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOpduRNpe6Q

Still in the "honeymoon" phase with this radio, but I do like it. Spent a little time playing with the DSP and contour filtering on some weak signals. It seems MILES ahead of what the FT-897 would do.

Cheers...   Jim
View Quote
If they made that work at all thats pretty good -- We found locally that if you were on the fringes of the repeater or a ways out with some terrain or structures C4FM sometimes fell apart. Turning off AMS helped and when we got the new production repeater (versus the beta version yaseu gave us for a year) it got better. But it is nice to know it will work outside 2m/70cm. Personally I would like to see how it does on the 440 side of the repeater. We have a 6m repeater also but as far as I know Yaesu has not offered fusion repeaters on anything but 2m/440 and the mobiles dont cover it either, so we would have to go to a 991 to even use it if it did exist.

Please keep us updated I am gonna refer the one guy to this thread since he is considering getting one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 Turning resistance of the VFO is said to be adjustable, and I may need to tighten it up.
View Quote

The cat flicked the VFO once with his tail and sent me from a pileup in CA I was trying to work to another pileup.

I figured one pileup was as good as another so I kept throwing out my call. When I heard the station call my call sign I explained what happened and asked for his call sign which he gave me and that, my friend is how I got my first contact with Kuwait.

"I know I'm supposed to have it before I start calling, but I need your call sign. I was trying to work California and my cat flicked my VFO and I landed in this pileup. I sort of figured one pileup is as good as another so I just kept working it and here I am. Can I have your call please?"

He thought that was the funniest thing. Nice guy.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Write-ups like this are why every radio-specific web search led me here and convinced me to join back up
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Good kitty!

My dog is an Aussie Shepherd with a docked tail. He took it kinda' hard that he is now to be replaced by a cat who can score me some better DX...
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If they made that work at all thats pretty good -- We found locally that if you were on the fringes of the repeater or a ways out with some terrain or structures C4FM sometimes fell apart. Turning off AMS helped and when we got the new production repeater (versus the beta version yaseu gave us for a year) it got better. But it is nice to know it will work outside 2m/70cm. Personally I would like to see how it does on the 440 side of the repeater. We have a 6m repeater also but as far as I know Yaesu has not offered fusion repeaters on anything but 2m/440 and the mobiles dont cover it either, so we would have to go to a 991 to even use it if it did exist.    Please keep us updated I am gonna refer the one guy to this thread since he is considering getting one.
View Quote

Blue-  This does get annoying, especially when the artifacts starts to appear and you get that digital crunching sound.  The thing you have to remember is that while the YSF FEC is very good, you tend to jump off a cliff once you are out of range.  Unlike FM that'll fade the farther out you go, C$FM will be perfectly clear...until the FEC can no longer keep up.  To this end, several of us have been talking about building 100w amps to extend the range.

Red All of the YSF repeaters in this area are on UHF and work fine.

One of the biggest things we are doing in this area is linking YSF repeaters over the air, linking C4FM and FM through multiple repeaters and linking through Wires-X for both C4FM and FM.  There are problems along the way, unique solutions and a few things that just seem to work out.

Here is the link for more information about what the Backen Radio Society is doing with YSF.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

From "The Battle of Maldon."

Truth be told, I'm more likely to *ack* the olde English than I am any of the computer / radio interface stuff. I'm a Mac user, and have had abysmal results trying to do anything radio related with it.

Lion_Dog, sorry for your woes, I'm sure you'l get it sorted out. I hope you'll find the radio enjoyable even if there are a few roadblocks along the way with some of your peripherals.

Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Blue-  This does get annoying, especially when the artifacts starts to appear and you get that digital crunching sound.  The thing you have to remember is that while the YSF FEC is very good, you tend to jump off a cliff once you are out of range.  Unlike FM that'll fade the farther out you go, C$FM will be perfectly clear...until the FEC can no longer keep up.  To this end, several of us have been talking about building 100w amps to extend the range.

One of the biggest things we are doing in this area is linking YSF repeaters over the air, linking C4FM and FM through multiple repeaters and linking through Wires-X for both C4FM and FM.  There are problems along the way, unique solutions and a few things that just seem to work out.

Here is the link for more information about what the Backen Radio Society is doing with YSF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If they made that work at all thats pretty good -- We found locally that if you were on the fringes of the repeater or a ways out with some terrain or structures C4FM sometimes fell apart. Turning off AMS helped and when we got the new production repeater (versus the beta version yaseu gave us for a year) it got better. But it is nice to know it will work outside 2m/70cm. Personally I would like to see how it does on the 440 side of the repeater. We have a 6m repeater also but as far as I know Yaesu has not offered fusion repeaters on anything but 2m/440 and the mobiles dont cover it either, so we would have to go to a 991 to even use it if it did exist.    Please keep us updated I am gonna refer the one guy to this thread since he is considering getting one.

Thanks for the link I'll look it over -- we have most of the digital issues worked out now and the digital modes working fine -- I still need to do the firmware upgrade on my FTM-400 but have been to busy to drag the laptop out to the truck and get her done...

the main issue right now is our wires -x box. Its linked to our repeater, We get audio and data (callsigns/locations on screen) from users all over the US and international but for some reason they cant hear us talking back to them. One guy has been working on it for a few weeks now and I am sure its a config issue but He has not figured it out yet. Also when I push the wires-x button on the radio the green and red wires-x logo blinks and blinks and it looks like its trying to bring up the node but eventually just times out...So we have only been able to hear what we are missing so far LOL

The main thing is time to play with it and figure out what has been done allready etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link I'll look it over -- we have most of the digital issues worked out now and the digital modes working fine -- I still need to do the firmware upgrade on my FTM-400 but have been to busy to drag the laptop out to the truck and get her done...    the main issue right now is our wires -x box. Its linked to our repeater, We get audio and data (callsigns/locations on screen) from users all over the US and international but for some reason they cant hear us talking back to them. One guy has been working on it for a few weeks now and I am sure its a config issue but He has not figured it out yet. Also when I push the wires-x button on the radio the green and red wires-x logo blinks and blinks and it looks like its trying to bring up the node but eventually just times out...So we have only been able to hear what we are missing so far LOL
The main thing is time to play with it and figure out what has been done allready etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link I'll look it over -- we have most of the digital issues worked out now and the digital modes working fine -- I still need to do the firmware upgrade on my FTM-400 but have been to busy to drag the laptop out to the truck and get her done...    the main issue right now is our wires -x box. Its linked to our repeater, We get audio and data (callsigns/locations on screen) from users all over the US and international but for some reason they cant hear us talking back to them. One guy has been working on it for a few weeks now and I am sure its a config issue but He has not figured it out yet. Also when I push the wires-x button on the radio the green and red wires-x logo blinks and blinks and it looks like its trying to bring up the node but eventually just times out...So we have only been able to hear what we are missing so far LOL

Go to the website and/or email K9EQ.  He's been working on the Wires-X and simulcasting on a separate freq. for FM users.  Yaesu is also pushing several firmware updates for Fusions radios shortly which may help your Wires-X issue.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: Funny with all the bells/whistles the 991 doesn't have APRS? Or is that an excuse to buy a 400D?
View Quote

Excuses? We don't need no stinking excuses! Glad you licked your software issue!
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm dredging this back up from the depths only because I know how much I have valued first hand reports about gear before I spent my hard-earned $$$.

Still liking the FT-991 in nearly all respects, but the built-in ATU is not trustworthy. It was tuning my antenna just fine on 40 meters, and then suddenly couldn't cope. Native SWR is only about 2:1, so there's no reason the ATU shouldn't be up to the task. Others have reported the same issue.

I was dreading sending the unit back to Yeasu, but instead have abandoned the on-board tuner and have added a Palstar AT500 to my shack. Really like this tuner, and it's nice to have something that is not going to be obsoleted by the next radio purchase, unlike the several LDG dedicated ATUs I have owned.

Cheers...   Jim

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My story....

SO I order a FT-991 rig through Amazon, sent it back and then luckily for me I came across the HRO DEEP cuts on many cool radios and got the 991 for $1,130.00 with the $100 rebate and free shipping.

So I get it, then my PS - NIB Astron SS-25 from a friend $90.00

Try hooking up the RT Systems with THEIR cable, no joy. Gives me an ERROR - 3 code which I have interpreted as cable and driver leaving the radio as an unknown device. Sooo I saunter over to the Yaesu site and see a shitload of software/firmware updates.

So now I have a unit that as of 12.1 has new software I can't load because my Win7Pro machine doesn't *ack* it. N.I.C.E.

Color me PISSED OFF.

QRB this is my first *real rig* so me finding anything on the 991 as intuitive is more a kin to me understanding olde English (Shakespeare) intuitively.
View Quote

It's  a compact radio. It'll never be as intuitive and user friendly as an FT1000. Try using an Icom IC7000. I has the most screwed up interface I've  seen. It took me 10 minutes to fugure out how to use my FT857. I have been  using my ic7000 for 6 years and need to pull over and open the manual to do anything besides changing bands and operating the PTT button on the microphine.  Also most newer Yaesus have very quiet, more superior receivers than most other brands. I'm very picky about RX quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top