Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2015 7:54:11 PM EDT
Since I now have a radio, what are the suggestions regarding boom or desk mike. Not going to be portable so no issues with that. I am looking at a PR781 Heil unless someone convinces me to step up a bit more to PR 30/40. They are not a whole lot more and I prefer to buy once, cry once. No matter what I do for radios in the future a good mike is an investment that will be worthwhile. I know the extra pieces needed to make a boom work will cost more but is there a major difference in operational practicality?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Boom and a footswitch. Hands free and no mic taking up desk space.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Desk mic.

Gotta have something to do with your hands to keep from jerking off.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

I tried a desk mic and foot switch and the mic was always in the way.  I currently use a Heil Pro 7 and love it.  I can hear weak signals better with the headset than speakers.  My second choice would be a studio mic on an articulated boom to keep the desk clear.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Desk mic.

Gotta have something to do with your hands to keep from jerking off.
View Quote

That's what all the twisty-flippy-pressy thingies on the radio are for.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/672753__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Recommendatatate_me_a_good_HF_desk_microphone.html&page=2

Here's an archived thread that might help.

I ended up buying an inexpensive mic, boom. and 3 band EQ and wired it through an old foot switch I had laying around. I always get good audio reports with it and there's a huge difference between it and the hand mic.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/672753__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Recommendatatate_me_a_good_HF_desk_microphone.html&page=2

I ended up buying an inexpensive mic, boom. and 3 band EQ and wired it through an old foot switch I had laying around. I always get good audio reports with it and there's a huge difference between it and the hand mic.
View Quote

Based on that thread I bought a $30 Behringer and a $10 mic and a $10 lamp-arm off ebay.

I have had folks record and playback the audio, as well as tune it by listening on an alternate rig while I talk into a dummy load.

I am very happy with the setup and seem to 'get through' pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Based on that thread I bought a $30 Behringer and a $10 mic and a $10 lamp-arm off ebay.

I have had folks record and playback the audio, as well as tune it by listening on an alternate rig while I talk into a dummy load.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah!

Since that long ago thread I splurgified and bought a $99 Behringer B1 condenser to replace my $25 Behringer XM8500 dynamic mic. I can tell you it's way overkill and still way cheaper then a Heil! And now you can find cheap large diameter condenser mic's from China on Amazon for like $35. Can't beat that with a stick!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Headset and foot-switch

hands free for logging, surfing DX spotter, ........or in Pic's case, entertainment

never got that excited about radio LOL  

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]

What's a microphone???
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Why are people buying expensive, good quality mics, then destroying that nice signal by putting it through a radio? Does it actually make any difference past a certain (very low) threshold?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I use

or Vox
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I use an MXL 770 mic, and a behringer mixer. Mic is on a boom, with an adafruit foot switch.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why are people buying expensive, good quality mics, then destroying that nice signal by putting it through a radio? Does it actually make any difference past a certain (very low) threshold?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Do you have any idea what you are talking about, or are you just trolling?

Are you a licensed ham ?

If so, welcome, and please elaborate,....if not,  please go back to GD

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a boom and Heil 781 with a foot switch, now I can't figure out why I did not get it 40 years ago. I would never go back to a desk mike.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the input folks. With everything said here and talking to a couple of locals, I bit the bullet and ordered a Heil PR-781 and a scissors boom from eBay. One of the guys in the ham club mentioned that good mics are like good camera lenses. You will replace your camera as it becomes technically outmoded or worn but generally lenses far outlast the cameras. Being a Nikon camera guy this analogy made much sense to me as I own lenses I will not trade or sell because they still work very well. Cameras get changed every 5 years or so. I think with the technology changes radios are somewhat like that, but I do still lust to own a Collins rig at some time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got a boom and Heil 781 with a foot switch, now I can't figure out why I did not get it 40 years ago. I would never go back to a desk mike.

Jimhttp://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc378/cpd544/March%202015.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking station!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input folks. With everything said here and talking to a couple of locals, I bit the bullet and ordered a Heil PR-781 and a scissors boom from eBay. One of the guys in the ham club mentioned that good mics are like good camera lenses. You will replace your camera as it becomes technically outmoded or worn but generally lenses far outlast the cameras. Being a Nikon camera guy this analogy made much sense to me as I own lenses I will not trade or sell because they still work very well. Cameras get changed every 5 years or so. I think with the technology changes radios are somewhat like that, but I do still lust to own a Collins rig at some time.
View Quote

I also use an Audio-Technica AT8415 Shock Mount
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are not going to use a hand held mic, use a boom to get the mic close to your mouth.

The more distance between you, the speaker/operator, and the microphone, the higher the percentage of room
noise, echo, and other crap.  Just like using "speakerphone".  

But the mic should not be right up against your mouth, either.  A few inches is good.  Use a foam windscreen, too.

I have both hand held mics and a Heil Proset Elite PSE-ic.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excellent analogy. A good microphone makes a huge difference. I've tried many different brands but keep coming back to Heil.
Currently I use a Heil HM-12 connected to a EQplus processor. The microphone is mounted on a Heil boom. I would not have it any other way.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#20]
My mic and related parts arrived today. I am impressed with the quality appearance of all the Heil parts. If it performs as well as it looks I will be pleased. I am still in process of setting up my shack so it may be a bit before I can give a further report.

@Gyprat - Very nice looking array of equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top