Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2015 11:44:00 AM EDT
Well decided to put up my good old trusty 7 band OCF dipole that i made a while back. I got it up the highest i have ever gotten it, the apex at 45ft and the legs slopping in an inverted V.  Took me most of Sat. and that evening i stayed up late playing radio, i had it hooked up thru an antenna switch with my 80 meter horizontal loop that is 35 ft. off the ground.  It did not matter what band or what freq. i was on the loop pulled in the strongest signal and was also heard on the loop when i could not be heard on the dipole, even when the dipole had much better SWR reading than the loop.  Well spent all sunday taking it back down , will be my portable or emergency antenna.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#1]
This gives me the warm and fuzzies about my antenna decisions at my new station.  I've got a OCFD up right now but I've got the wire and rope for an 80m loop sitting in the shack awaiting free time to build.  I need to come up with a feeding plan and insulators. How are you feeding your loop?  I can take the 4:1 balun off the OCFD or I can feed it direct off coax with an RF choke.  I think I'm going to use PVC elbows for corner insulators.  What say you?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
That matches what I typically see.  The 160m & 80m full wave horizontal loops almost always produce better reception than the other antenna types that are up (fan dipole, horizontal dipole &  vertical).  It is pretty rare when one of the non-loops has an edge (but I have seen it happen).  

Both my FWL's have home-brew 4" open wire ladder line run to their feed point, then transition to a coax connection for the radio via a current balun (with about 3' of coax for the 160m and about 35' of coax for the 80m).  I use modified Zareba corner insulators at my pull points to let the wire move easily.

Nick
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Im using a 4 to 1 balun fed with coax and an rf choke , corners are insulated with pvc
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys :)  I'm going to go the coax/balun route and if I don't like the results I'll experiment with open wire.  I think this FWL paired with a 43' vertical will be my long term setup for HF at home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top