Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2015 7:18:22 PM EDT
IC 7200

AH-4

43 foot DXE vertical

I swapped over to my LDG AT-100 with wire antenna and all is good.

WTH is it? any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad lightning arrestor, bad connection, tuner failed, squirrel ate your coax, could be anything.  Have you visibly inspected everything?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Failed relay in the AH-4?

That happened to my LDG. It would find a lock on some and not others.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Has it been raining there?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My question also. I got some RF back into my keyer a few times when its raining.  Anything over 60 watts output in CW mode would hang the keyer & lose connection with computer. Made  a simple choke with snap on ferrite cores & some loops. That took care of it. I have a 1:1 current balun at feed point, but that didn't stop the RF. Dry conditions it never happened.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes but it stopped a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Right now my guess is there is corrosion in the mast.

A 43' DXE vertical is kind of a telescoping affait held together with stainless hose clamps.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Right now my guess is there is corrosion in the mast.

A 43' DXE vertical is kind of a telescoping affait held together with stainless hose clamps.
View Quote

That would be my guess as well.

Before winter hits, take it down and clean & treat all joints with penetrox.  

Take a before and after SWR measurement to confirm.  If that doesn't produce the desired results, you likely have a water leak in your Coax.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Water in your coax? If its buried then water may have migrated into it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Something must have dried up.

Center of ALL bands now is 1:1

Frustrating.

The vertical comes down and gets treated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Update.

I took it down and started examining it and saw that it was about 3' too short!

One of the tubes telescoped somehow.

Early stages of rebuilding I see no signs of corrosion.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I broke the mast into 2 sections for ease of handling and have already dis and reassembled 2 sections.

No corrosion.

When I 'greased' and reassembled the 2 sections I black taped them together before putting the clamp on as a means of protecting the joints from weather.

Incidentally when I removed the bottom section from the base a LOT of water came out. I'll drill a small hole somewhere to prevent this from happening again as no telling what would happen if it froze come winter.

I'll be updating as I go along as I will be in and out all day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#12]
You know it would split the tubing.  Good deal, drilling a weep hole.  It can get water in there both from leakage
above and condensation.  Letting it breath is good.

My periodic problem this time of year is Confederate Jasmine reaching up and wrapping around one end of the
75 meter elements of my fan dipole.

You can see the tendrils reaching for it.  I don't know how that vine does it, but it does.  And a real mess to trim.  
White sticky sap... like Elmer's glue, gets all over you.  I spray the loppers with cooking spray before I start so
it won't gum up the works.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually the bottom tube fits in to some kind of Kevlar(?) cylinder.

I'm going to Dremel a small groove in it instead of a weep hole. I think that would be a little better.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm going to Dremel a small groove in it instead of a weep hole. I think that would be a little better.
View Quote

Incidentally I do believe that the bottom tube filling with water had something to do with the original problem.

I ought to grease the entire thing to keep ice from sticking and to make the radio waves slip of it faster so I can make more QSOs in less time.

Off to the hardware store for another hose clamp. I screwed one up along the line somehow.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
OMG!!!  Drilling a hole at the bottom of the antenna will let all the positively charged electrons leak out!  They create a HUGE mess in the yard.  

Is getting a low SWR (Standing Water Reservoir) really the goal?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#16]
3' shorter would be better from an antenna pattern perspective. 43' is too tall for 20m and anything higher... 3' shorter would improve the 20m performance.

If you're using an auto tuner at the base, nothing in the antenna itself changed your tuned SWR - it would have to be either the tuner, or the feedline to the tuner.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you're using an auto tuner at the base, nothing in the antenna itself changed your tuned SWR - it would have to be either the tuner, or the feedline to the tuner.
View Quote

The bottom leg was full of water!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget to grab a battery or 3 for lightning protection.

Quoted:

Incidentally I do believe that the bottom tube filling with water had something to do with the original problem.

I ought to grease the entire thing to keep ice from sticking and to make the radio waves slip of it faster so I can make more QSOs in less time.

Off to the hardware store for another hose clamp. I screwed one up along the line somehow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top