Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2015 9:25:59 PM EDT
I am looking for a Yaesu mobile radio that displays both the freq. and channel name.

I currently have a 7900 in my truck and I can choose one or the other but not both.  Dual VFO is nice but 99.9% of the time I'm single VFO so that doesn't matter.  I know the FTM-400 can do this but I'm also looking for a single DIN that you can attach the control head to.  

I'd like YSF but the only other mobile is the FTM-100 and I'm unsure if it will display both of the things that I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a used FTM-350 it shows both. You can also download manuals from Yaesus website to help answer your question.]

ETA:  It looks like the FTM-100 will do what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the FTM-100DR and it's a nice radio, not a great radio IMHO.  It has a single dual-band receiver, so even though the display implies that there's you can listen to one band on A and the other on B, you can't at the same time.  It does display both the frequency and name when in memory mode, and you've programmed a name.  I get good audio reports, and it's at least as sensitive as the ID-880H it replaced.  I bought it to use with all the Fusion repeaters being installed around here, and that's when its quirk showed up.

I have the RT Systems software for it and the drop-down for operating mode doesn't have a digital option.  You can select Auto, FM, FM Narrow, or AM

But that doesn't really matter because the radio ignores your choice.  I set up two memory channels for our local repeater.  The first (47) was set to be FM and the second (48) was set to Auto.  I then uploaded the file to the radio. To my surprise, when I select ANY channel, the operating mode is what I had set from the front panel and NOT what was saved in the memory location.

This happens no matter which operating mode is selected from the front panel.  Here's the problem.

When scanning, the radio will not hear digital traffic when the operating mode is set to FM, and  it won't hear FM traffic when set to digital.  The user's ONLY choice is to set the operating mode to Auto using the DR button BEFORE starting to scan.  When manually changing the memory channel, the user MUST remember to change the operating mode AFTER selecting the desired memory, or the radio WILL use the previously set mode.  

OK, end of rant.

The FTM-100DR is a fine radio for what it does, and it's reasonably priced.  It's small size makes mounting simple, and it comes with a sticky-tape mounting bracket for the control head.  The mic jack is in the radio body as is the external speaker jack, so you'll need to run both from the radio body to wherever you want.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking hard at the FTM-100. Quirks aside, this is what I'll probably get. I already use RT Systems for my 7900 and VX-8 so transferring the programming will be easy. It's nice that all of my radios have the exact same freq. in the same exact memory location.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been looking hard at the FTM-100. Quirks aside, this is what I'll probably get. I already use RT Systems for my 7900 and VX-8 so transferring the programming will be easy. It's nice that all of my radios have the exact same freq. in the same exact memory location.
View Quote

Forewarned is forearmed.  I basically like the FTM-100D and its quirks just make me grumble like the curmudgeon I am.  I do like the APRS feature.  I use it more for that than I do for Fusion.  It works quite well as a normal dual-band FM radio.

ETA: Be aware that the FTM-100D has two memory banks, and they are NOT shared.  When band A is active it uses memory bank A, and B uses B.  I haven't quite figured out the best way to use that feature.

ETA2: Well, I guess I can't gripe too much.  I dug through the manual again and on page 51 there's a little ass-to-risk that says, "Digital mode and analog mode information are not stored in the memory."  So, it's not a quirk, it's a feature.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Forewarned is forearmed.  I basically like the FTM-100D and its quirks just make me grumble like the curmudgeon I am.  I do like the APRS feature.  I use it more for that than I do for Fusion.  It works quite well as a normal dual-band FM radio.

ETA: Be aware that the FTM-100D has two memory banks, and they are NOT shared.  When band A is active it uses memory bank A, and B uses B.  I haven't quite figured out the best way to use that feature.

ETA2: Well, I guess I can't gripe too much.  I dug through the manual again and on page 51 there's a little ass-to-risk that says, "Digital mode and analog mode information are not stored in the memory."  So, it's not a quirk, it's a feature.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly thing they intended for it to just be left in auto. I'm still trying to understand the marketing theory behind System Fusion but that's a whole other debate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top