Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2015 9:57:06 PM EDT

It didn't work.

XMT light comes on but no output.

Packed it all back up and brought it home and saw this...

Tore both the power supply and the amp apart tonight checking for other loose items...only the screw.  

BUT!!!

The relay had somehow gotten off it's...well...rocker.

When I went to test its operation the whole contact plate dropped back into the slots where it ought to ride.

I buttoned it all back up again and it is operating fine once again.  

I guess the road to the cabin is bumpier than I thought!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW....glad you didn't let any magic MFJ smoke out of it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought you had a screw loose.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
A tiny drop of green (wicking) Locktite should take care of such problems.  When I assembled the
Hardrock 50 amp, for example, every screw got a little drop of green Locktite.

To explain:

Locktite 262 is red, and is "permanent".  Not really, you can get it off by heating with a torch.  Put this on stuff
you want to never, ever come apart.

Locktite 242 is blue.  The container is red, but the juice is blue.  This is sometimes called "gunsmithing Locktite."  
It is applied to screws and nuts prior to assembly, put on immediately.  It is "service removable".  Some think the
white powder from such a screw is corrosion.  It is not.  The powder is the Locktite residue from removal.  Use
this for scope mount and base screws.

Locktite 290 also comes in a red container, but is very thin and green.  It will wick into already assembled screws
and nuts.  Often used in electronics, not only screws and nuts, but trimmer pots and caps, on the adjustments.  
Locktite 290 is also "service removable".

I keep all three of these above on the shelf above my work area.

Locktite 271 and 272 are also red, and are "high temperature" thread locker.  "Permanent."

Loctite 222 - aka "purple" Loctite is also "service removable", and not as strong as 242 ("blue").  Great for set screws,
other small fasteners.  "Designed for precision metal fasteners under 19mm."  Also good for gun smithing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Please pardon my pedanticness, but it's "Loctite"

FWIW I use the 272 exclusively for all gunsmithing needs. I've had the medium strength (blue) stuff fail too many times. There is no reason to be afraid to use red or even the high temperature red threadlocker. With the relatively small fastener sizes used in firearms you can easily melt the "permanent" threadlocker by touching a large soldering iron to the head of the fastener for a few seconds or so. You only need to get a torch out when you start to get into fastener sizes around 1/4-20 or above.

Great stuff, Loctite!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always thought you had a screw loose.
View Quote

Very nice.

Regarding the loctite use.  The bolt in question is from the rail where you change the jumpers for power supply voltages.  It is unused and someone simply left it loose and it eventually worked it's way free.

The amp has been apart quite a few times it looks like.  It does have the 10m board.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Please pardon my pedanticness...
View Quote

Pilots...  

stimpsonjcat, I've nearly bought an ALS600 more than once.  Hope it works out well for you.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

stimpsonjcat, I've nearly bought an ALS600 more than once.  Hope it works out well for you.  
View Quote

The amp is fine now that the relay is properly assembled again!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Get rid of that noisy relay. Do a QSK relay upgrade.
LINK
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get rid of that noisy relay. Do a QSK relay upgrade.
LINK
View Quote

Lovely...but not yet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pilots...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please pardon my pedanticness...

Pilots...  

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Loctite left the K out of Lock.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top