Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2015 12:40:11 PM EDT
I passed the tech test, and failed the general. I did not study for the general. I was going to join the local club but the guy in charge rubbed me the wrong way. He asked What are my plans and I said I am a overlander and I wanted this for my trips, he then asked where I am going so I tell him Yellowstone and MT and he says who are you going to talk to. I said it is pretty much for emergencies and comms for the rest of the group when cb range and cell service is not good. He said good luck and then gave me a attitude about why I am taking the test.   So I think I will search for a different club, that guy deserves a swift punch to the throat.  So ... Since I passed whats should I do next?  I have a whole room in my house I can convert into a radio/gun room.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Congrats
2. Study Moar to get the General
3. Buy Something

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I already have a radio. Yaesu 8dr
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Talk to someone
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
As soon as your license posts on the FCC site get echolink installed and then verified and join the cool ArF peeps on Friday night.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/669456_ARFCOM_IRLP___Echolink_Net_________Friday_Night___________.html

We are good at spending your money.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess its time to re-read the manual. Again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Bone up on describing your health problems

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
For when you are out & about, get this and keep it in your vehicle.

http://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Repeater-Directory-2015-Pocket/dp/162595025X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438451200&sr=8-1&keywords=arrl+repeater+book

When on a long trip, it can be impossible to have all repeaters on your route programmed into your radio.  With the repeater directory and good maps, you can figure out what's near, and input it in your radio when needed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Prepare Your Wallet
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I passed the tech test, and failed the general. I did not study for the general. I was going to join the local club but the guy in charge rubbed me the wrong way. He asked What are my plans and I said I am a overlander and I wanted this for my trips, he then asked where I am going so I tell him Yellowstone and MT and he says who are you going to talk to. I said it is pretty much for emergencies and comms for the rest of the group when cb range and cell service is not good. He said good luck and then gave me a attitude about why I am taking the test.   So I think I will search for a different club, that guy deserves a swift punch to the throat.  So ... Since I passed whats should I do next?  I have a whole room in my house I can convert into a radio/gun room.
View Quote

In my opinion, avoid clubs.

Usually what you get are cranky, old, MY SH$T dont stink, DO IT OUR WAY OR YOU ARE STUPID, attitudes. ( HF RULES, You are lame if you dont do it too )

There are a few clubs out there that are really good, but in many cases, its hard to find one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Usually what you get are cranky, old, MY SH$T dont stink, DO IT OUR WAY OR YOU ARE STUPID, attitudes. ( HF RULES, You are lame if you dont do it too )

There are a few clubs out there that are really good, but in many cases, its hard to find one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is how this club seemed, I just didn't want to say it since I have not been around HAMs.  It would be nice if I know some guys that could show me the ropes( I don't mean you guys) locally.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you ain't dyin of somethin you ain't no HAM.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I am healthy!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
First, congratulations.  Ham radio has something for everyone.

Second, if you're around the St. Louis area there are few good clubs that welcome new members have very helpful, knowledgeable old fogies, I mean Elmers.

Third, study for the General now while your brain is still in learning mode.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#14]
IM me with your call sign when you get it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Will do.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Where in IL are you? (cross streets / city)

I want to see if you can hear me from Vegas.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Bartlett, Illinois. It sounds better when you say the s at the end. I am from NY so I can say it with a s.59 and sterns is a major intersection near me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#18]
try 223.780 on your radio
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Guessing tango is busy. I have to get back to reloading.
The IRS building on 355 & 56 has a repeater on the roof. Guessing you could get into that. It belongs to York Radio Club.

442.875 with a PL of 114.8

Edit>> Just talked to a couple of people there in Chicago on 442.875. Don and Wanda was discussing cooking dinner. That repeater sounds like it has good coverage. You should check it out when you have time.

Scott

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Both clubs I've visited were very friendly and eager to see young blood I think. I would say to keep looking and jump on some of the local repeaters when you get a chance and let them know you're a new ham. It's worked well for me!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys. I am trying to figure out how to get a antenna on my SUV. I am getting a roof top tent so there will be no room on the roof. I will know more specs in a few months so maybe up front near the windshield.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Tango.. There's assholes in every social group.. Like a septic tank the big chunks seem to rise to the top..
Amateur radio is no exception to this rule.. I'm sorry your first encounter was with some shit head.
You got the ticket.. get on the air.. find some folks you share common interest with.
Look at other clubs.. that's one of the reasons other clubs exist.. folks got tired of a few turds running the show.
It's a lot of fun once you associate with the folks that are willing to help rather than disparage.
It's like QRZ.com.. there's a lotta good folks over there but you gotta weed thru a shit ton of snarky answers first..
If ya need a shoulder, Elmer or encouragement feel free to PM me or any of the regulars here.
I'm an extra, instructor & VE.. & will give you the best answer I can.. AND if I don't know.. I'll say so..
All the best 73
..FN..
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not into clubs.  They are good but I'm into my own thing and would rather stick a fork in my eye than sit thru a meeting.   Let's get on the air and chew the fat.  Vhf/uhf is very nice but i really like HF.  Hang in there and find an Elmer that you like..

Prosise
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Congratulations!

While you're in study mode, go ahead and get your General. HF is where the fun stuff happens.

Some clubs are good, some not so much. If you're in or near a large town, shop around.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#25]
First -- CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Second -- regarding General... tolja so!  Study!  If you can pass Tech, you an pass General!

Finally -- as far as why you want to be a ham, that is none of anyone else's business.  There
are so many facets to ham radio there is a nitch for everyone.  You have your reasons, I have
mine, that the club guy has his.  

And you'll find things are possible that you didn't even know existed.  Years ago I flew R/C
model aircraft.  Most of the hams I knew got their Tech tickets in order to use radios in the
lesser used 6m band.  This way they avoided interference from other R/Cers and CB radio
on the 27 mhz R/C frequencies, and not as many people as using the  72 mhz frequencies.

Remember, this is a HOBBY, it is AMATEUR Radio, which means you do it because you like
to, not for a salary.  The purpose is for YOU to have fun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:44:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

QFT! Or describe in minute detail on what you had for lunch.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#28]
If you are healthy then listen, listen, listen.

Listen some more.

You'll get all sorts of ideas to make up health with.

Personally I like to gripe about my hemorrhoids in graphic detail. (even though I don't have any)
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you are healthy then listen, listen, listen.

Listen some more.

You'll get all sorts of ideas to make up health with.

Personally I like to gripe about my hemorrhoids in graphic detail. (even though I don't have any)
View Quote

I heard a rumor that you named one, Dit and the other one, Dah.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats. Clubs can be hit or miss. I was one of the previous presidents of the local club and ended up not running and leaving due to the "it has been this way forever so why change, it does not matter if it is draining the club dry" attitude. There are tons out there and find one that fits you. I am near St. Louis and am a member of a club in Indiana.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I am just waiting to see my name in the data base. I am reading the manual for the handheld. and I don't think its helping.   I check the FCC site 3-100 times a day. More like 3-5.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Welcome to the hobby OP!

Just want to reiterate what other people have said here and please study for the General.  The world will literally open up to you on HF.

Please take the time to read the ARRL Guide to Ethics and Operating Procedures.

Also, download this compact bandplan card that you can carry with your pocket license and that will tell you where in each band you can play in.

Finally, do try to find an elmer or a club.  Many times, HF radios and antennas are passed down at fire sale prices through these clubs due to club members passing or getting too old for the hobby, and they're often offered to newer hams to encourage them in the hobby.  I have a friend who bought an Icom IC-751 for $200 and a 20A linear power supply for $50 who talks all over the world now, so you don't need to spend a fortune either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I had the same motivation as you OP, but I never went to a club.

I have a 2m Yaesu 2900R in my Toyota for trail comms etc, alongside a CB.

My rooftop tent will be going on my M1102 trailer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that because you do not want to relocate the antennas?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#36]

I did all this and it is now saved to my computer. Is there a way to print a certificate or is there no certificate.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No I want to be able to drive away and not break camp.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Fellow Overlander here!  

Got into the hobby for pretty much the same reason; my weekend adventures are mostly out of cell range.

There is a Ham forum on ExpeditionPortal.com as well.

For what you're doing, no need really to join a club.  You can find as much on the net for mobile HF and field comms.  Clubs are mostly shack geezers anyway.  I just joined one more or less as a donation to fund the repeater I use the most, don't have any plans to attend club meetings.  They did their last field day op in a members back yard.  

No RTT here yet, but when it does happen, its also going on a trailer as well.  Got some ideas for HF mobile from the Huntsville Hamfest yesterday; I want a Tarheel for the overlanding rig, but for cost/simplicity, Im going to start with a Diamond HF80CL monoband antenna.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top