Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2015 4:47:52 PM EDT
Is it ham related?

It's going to work on 433mhz.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no clue what that is. I am just here for information. I have my Tech test in 3 days.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure it's a circuit board.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure it's a circuit board.
View Quote

And I bet that some guy named Phil had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
MZeroNDY, looked him up on QRZ.  Phil Crump in England.  His website is

https://www.philcrump.co.uk/Main_Page

Third item down on the right side.

"New boards for my cheap AVR-based Temperature/Humidity Wireless Sensor nodes.  These boards provide an easily-solderable
base on which to build a UKHASnet sensor, repeater or gateway."

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Must be for the 433 ISM band...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually there are several bands you can get the RFM69 transceivers in. I'm picking 433 for several reasons.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
ISM band for the win.

I have over 100 of the RFM12B modules, and my junk box is literally filled with homemade boards that look like
that.

A few years ago I got inspired by zigbee and APRS networks and built my own little hyper-local network at my
house (and BOL) I call my low-speed-data-network. Temperature sensors, voltage sensors, repeaters, doppler
radars, magnetometers and IR break beam sensors all feed into it, and I have a little script on a server that
tells me when anything "interesting" is happening.

Those little modules are very fun to play with and you learn a lot about network behaviors and ultra-low-power
design and radio propagation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ISM band for the win.

I have over 100 of the RFM12B modules, and my junk box is literally filled with homemade boards that look like
that.

A few years ago I got inspired by zigbee and APRS networks and built my own little hyper-local network at my
house (and BOL) I call my low-speed-data-network. Temperature sensors, voltage sensors, repeaters, doppler
radars, magnetometers and IR break beam sensors all feed into it, and I have a little script on a server that

Those little modules are very fun to play with and you learn a lot about network behaviors and ultra-low-power
View Quote

You are my hero. Will you marry me?

I may be picking your brain in the next few weeks now that you've admitted all that. I'm still waiting for parts to arrive and I don't even have the microprocessors yet. (I think I ordered sockets for them though....) I really need to figure out what's left now that I have boards. Also need to figure out how to make an rtl-sdr dongle decode what I send for testing too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
MZeroNDY, looked him up on QRZ.  Phil Crump in England.  His website is

https://www.philcrump.co.uk/Main_Page

Third item down on the right side.

"New boards for my cheap AVR-based Temperature/Humidity Wireless Sensor nodes.  These boards provide an easily-solderable
base on which to build a UKHASnet sensor, repeater or gateway."

View Quote

Crap! I don't think I had been to his main page before. Only www.ukhas.net etc.... I need to read about his balloon tracker right above the v3 boards.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ISM band for the win.

that.

View Quote

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
So I googled the UKHASnet term in the text above. UKHASnet

Great minds think alike, I guess! I went with binary encoding and very short fixed length packets
(6 bytes with 2 byte preamble used by the RFM12B) to minimize power consumption and increase
channel bandwidth though, and I run a lower data rate for increased range.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I still have parts rolling in. Once the 328s arrive I will probably start soldering.

I've been playing with an Uno, some sensors, and one of the cheap, two part 433mhz xmitter/receivers. I can test transmit and receive the signal with my rtl-sdr, but I am having a hard time decoding the message. (even if it's just "1" or "0"). My lack of C experience isn't helping matters. I can get the message using rtl_433 no problem. I guess I need to dig into how the UKhas guys did it, though they use different radio hardware so the libraries are different as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I still have parts rolling in. Once the 328s arrive I will probably start soldering.

I've been playing with an Uno, some sensors, and one of the cheap, two part 433mhz xmitter/receivers. I can test transmit and receive the signal with my rtl-sdr, but I am having a hard time decoding the message. (even if it's just "1" or "0"). My lack of C experience isn't helping matters. I can get the message using rtl_433 no problem. I guess I need to dig into how the UKhas guys did it, though they use different radio hardware so the libraries are different as well.
View Quote

The RFM12B is crazy sensitive to the initial startup configurations, so a library or a stolen known-working set of startup register loading is key to it working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top