Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2015 2:52:37 AM EDT
now that i have a new antenna that seems to be working pretty good i would like to be able to keep a running log and keep it local instead of on QRZ. so, what is the best logging software out there? free is preferred but not a strict requirement.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I use DXLabs DXKeeper as my day to day logger. I like it because it is fully integrated with Logbook of the World. It's quite a complex logger that is highly oriented towards award chasing. It will print QSL cards, track award progress, all kinds of stuff. And it's fully integrated with all of the other DXLabs tools.

I also use N1MM for contests, not that I'm any kind of big contester. It's also a fantastic logger. Arguably better than DXKeeper in many ways. I'd probably use N1MM exclusively if it was integrated with LOTW.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Xlog, but not for windoze OSs.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Amateur Contact log, by N3FJP.  It's not free, but it works well, and is pretty easy to set up and use.  And being easy to use was the big selling point for me.

He has a few videos on Youtube, showing some of the features of his Amateur Contact log, and also some of his contest logs.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the Amateur Contact log, by N3FJP.  It's not free, but it works well, and is pretty easy to set up and use.  And being easy to use was the big selling point for me.

He has a few videos on Youtube, showing some of the features of his Amateur Contact log, and also some of his contest logs.

View Quote

we use his software for field day. didnt know he had a logbook.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Since my local club uses n3fjp for field day and the n3fjp for the high school club logging I've chosen to use the same.

It's not bad.  Interface is clean, easy to read.  I currently think that its a hassle to reorder the columns to match my preference.
But perhaps my feeling about that will change with use.

Nothing is automated yet since I haven't setup CAT to my ft-747 yet.  Uploading to LoTW doesn't seem to be a problem.
Caveat: my entries are < 100.  And I take notes on paper then xfer to the computer log in between contacts.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I also use N3FJP Amateur Contact Log also. It is well worth the money and I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's not bad.  Interface is clean, easy to read.  I currently think that its a hassle to reorder the columns to match my preference.
But perhaps my feeling about that will change with use.

Nothing is automated yet since I haven't setup CAT to my ft-747 yet.  Uploading to LoTW doesn't seem to be a problem.
Caveat: my entries are < 100.  And I take notes on paper then xfer to the computer log in between contacts.
View Quote

Seems like (it's been 2-3 years) I struggled a little with setting up the columns too, but once I got them like I wanted, I haven't touched them again.

Uploading and confirming by LoTW has been is easy and reliable...only a few mouse clicks.  I can also upload to eQSL with a couple of mouse clicks.

The same cable I use to upload the latest firmware to my K3, works for rig control with N3FJP.  So I leave it connected all the time.  It quickly loads  the band, frequency and mode into the log, in real time.  I haven't tried anything else like DX spotting.  And if you have a subscription to QRZ.com, it will also import all information (name, QTH, etc.) for each of your contacts into the log. I haven't tried that either, since I don't have the subscription, but I'm getting lazy so I might have to give it a go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
N3FJP. Honestly if you ever plan on doing contests get the suite. His support is fantastic. I changed calls and emailed him that I changed calls and expected there to be a fee to change the license but there was not. He had me the new code within a hour.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
N1mm is pretty good. It's a pain to set up and a lot is highly unintuitive but once you've got it running it's very powerful.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll throw my vote in for N3FJP.  I think it's $50 for the entire suite, which gives you not only the logging software, but also the logs for almost every contest out there.  This also includes lifetime upgrades I believe. Rig control and interface work well with my FT-857d, as well as the voice keyer through my signalink.  Mode, freq, and band are automatically logged based on the radio settings.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for N3FJP

Inexpensive and easy to use

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top