Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 10:58:14 AM EDT
Going to be building a 3 or 4 element 2m yagi for low power portable use. Size and weight are major factors. Do I need a choke? it's only going to be 5 watts, and only about 10ft of coax so I'm not really concerned about "RF in the shack", but does it make the antenna any more efficient if I were to put a few slip on ferrites near the feed point to keep the RF where it's supposed to be? Considering the size and weight factor I'd rather not to do an air choke, or a toroid winding. Thoughts/suggestions?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I never used one on my tape yagi and have never had a problem. Same goes for my arrow.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you going to use for feedpoint matching?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure yet, but probably direct feed from coax
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it's pretty much true that you don't "need" one....

But not having one causes feedline radiation, pattern skew, gain reduction etc.

IOW, if small and light is your goal, then a 2 el yagi WITH a choke will be smaller and lighter than a 3 or 4 el yagi WITHOUT a choke, but will probably have roughly the same gain.

From an eHam smart-guy:  "A choke with the highest impedance will be a choke that has its self resonant point close to the operating frequency.   Self resonant chokes work very good over a small frequency range.  If you wind a choke with RG58 size coax on a 1 inch diameter PVC form with about 5 turns it should resonate close to 141 MHz.  That should give you about 6000 ohms at 146 MHz.  If you really want to optimize it, you could spread the turns some to get the resonant frequency closer to the operating frequency."  http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=39351.0
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top