Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 8:34:51 PM EDT
Following some weird power blips (although attached via UPS), the XP desktop connected to the TS-590S lost all soundcard & USB functionality.   Step one was to pick up a PCI USB card to get some functionality back.  Card came in today & installed OK.  

Bad news, still no motherboard audio & still does not see TS-590 audio codec or com port.   Windows 7 laptop (with driver loaded) did not see either ether.  Dragged another WinXP PC over & got the same result.   Tried partial & full reset of radio - no joy - so it looks like the USB com port & audio on the TS-590S are toast...  TX & RX are unaffected, best I can tell.   From the service manual views, looks like all the USB parts are on the Control Unit (X53-446X-XX) (B,C/3) board, any guesses as to cost?

It looks like the closest service center is Virginia Beach, VA. About 190 miles, but might drive it there rather than pack & ship.

Nick
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you performed a "reset" or "cold start" on the radio?  The manual will tell you how.

Jup.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, tried partial first & when didn't help, then did the full reset (i.e.  power off, use "A/B A=B" button plus power button to turn on, use multi/ch knob to select "full reset" from the two menu options & press"A/B A=B" to execute).  Machine went back to factory defaults.

Nick
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Is your rig still under warranty?  If so you can contact Kenwood and make arrangement for warranty repair.

However I would suggest that you do a hard reset and see if this will correct correct the problem.

Also make sure that you haven't switched from A or B menu.

Kenwood has an A and B Menu and these menu settings are set independently of each other.

I set the default display colors so that A menu (my phone settings) to Amber and the B (digital settings) menu to Green.

I found that finger mashing the A/B button I inadvertently switched profiles and digital didn't work anymore.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought it new this past November. Didn't think about it as a warranty thing, but wouldn't hurt to ask. Might get lucky.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, talked with Kenwood tech support & then packed it up for a trip to the Kenwood Service Center, East  (Virginia Beach, VA).  Hopefully it will be a reasonably quick fix & return.  Fingers crossed that it is handled as  a warranty repair.  TS guy said it probably would unless there were visible indications of an over voltage surge after I described the sequence of events.  UPS cost + insurance was pretty much the same as gas would have been for one round trip...

ETA-  Set up the old FT-707 & MFJ-941D combo to fill in while the TS-590 is away - reminds me what a step up the 590 was when it arrived.  At least the VFO is being quiet (at least so far)  it had been pretty bad for glitching & drifting back when it was put out to pasture.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've run across a few more folks who have had their TS-590S hit by something similar.  This has had me thinking about surge/spike protection specifically for USB connections.  The most likely mechanism for this I have run across so far are some industrial USB hubs that claim 15kv ESD and 600v over-voltage protection at each port.  

An added attraction is they incorporate on-board supply line voltage regulation from a pretty broad input voltage range.  They should easily function from the same source as the radio.   Not as cheap as the usual wall-wart powered desk top hub, but cheap insurance if they can prevent or significantly reduce the likelihood of a recurrance of the failure. A 4 port 2.0 version can be had for less than $50 via amazon prime.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've run across a few more folks who have had their TS-590S hit by something similar.  This has had me thinking about surge/spike protection specifically for USB connections.  The most likely mechanism for this I have run across so far are some industrial USB hubs that claim 15kv ESD and 600v over-voltage protection at each port.  

An added attraction is they incorporate on-board supply line voltage regulation from a pretty broad input voltage range.  They should easily function from the same source as the radio.   Not as cheap as the usual wall-wart powered desk top hub, but cheap insurance if they can prevent or significantly reduce the likelihood of a recurrance of the failure. A 4 port 2.0 version can be had for less than $50 via amazon prime.

Nick
View Quote

Please post a link.  This might be a good investment for non-Kenwood users too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCM9284/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1J3WD9AEJYJLN&coliid=I2ZK2TOJ6ID9WQ&psc=1

This is the SIIG 4-port Industrial USB 2.0 Hub with 15KV ESD Protection (ID-US0311-S1) listed at Amazon and was the  
best price/function combo I have found so far (esp. w/Prime shipping).  

The SIIG site has this at a $89 list price.  They also have 7-port and USB 3.0 devices (at higher prices)
This is their (SIIG) page for the 4 port, 2.0 industrial hub, the page has a link to the manual which includes power supply connection info:
http://www.siig.com/it-products/industrial-i-o/usb/usb-hubs/4-port-industrial-usb-2-0-hub-with-15kv-esd-protection.html

FWIW, CDW lists this 4 port 2.0 hub  at $67.99

Nick
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, the service center is currently waiting on a part for my radio's repair. From the last phone conversation it sounds like it is being handled as a warranty repair. Hopefully the part is readily available.

Got the industrial hub in and it looks pretty substantial. Made up a power cable with power pole connectors (9 - 36 vdc is ok for the hub) plus a third line for the station ground (the hub has a three wire plug in connector).  I have redone the single point grounding for the current desk items, including a connection for the pc chassis plus a couple of spare ring terminated lines for potential additions.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear this Nick, there are several reports of the rig's USB port failing on the TS 590 yahoo group.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Good news! The backordered part is in,  the radio has been assigned to a tech and is the next one up when he finishes the one on his bench now.  Should be back and up and running shortly (fingers crossed).

Nick

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good news! The backordered part is in,  the radio has been assigned to a tech and is the next one up when he finishes the one on his bench now.  Should be back and up and running shortly (fingers crossed).

Nick

View Quote

^^^  Post #590
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't see that coming!

Nick
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nick

View Quote

Great news....the bands have been hit or miss, so hopefully you haven't missed your radio too much.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#15]
... was back in WV for the day mowing grass at the old place & missed the UPS guy when he came around.  He left a note saying they would try back tomorrow, as Kenwood Svc Ctr required a signature on delivery.  Sounds like my TS-590S will be back in my hands tomorrow!   Since he didn't say anything about COD (& Kenwood never asked for a CC) I am guessing that the repair was handled under warranty.   Will post again w/AAR if they provided documentation on damage & repair.

On a side note,  this NC -> WV trip was the first with the new Golf TDI Sportwagon SEL that took the place of my previous daily driver, an '05 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD.  It pretty much doubled the MPG of the Magnum for the same trip. (Still wasn't totally easy losing the Magnum,  bought it new & drove it 191,000 miles over the following 10 years - you get used to things ...)

Nick
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Next!  You made room for mine!
I just checked UPS track # & mine is out for delivery to the east Service center. Glad yours is coming home. Let me know how they did when you get time to check.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#17]
OK!  UPS man brought it today.  So far, everything looks good.  Restored values via backed up config via  the ARCP-590 control pgm.  Ran FLDIGI, which uses USB for rig control & audio I/O and everything went well.

According to the enclosed work report, they
"Diagnosed unit. Replaced control assy and checked USB operation. Tested to mfg specs [29/X53-456/X53-4560-11B/3/01]."
View Quote

From the materials used list, they replaced only part #X53-4460-11A/3.  

The tech added a yellow post-it note to the rig top with good advice.
"ALWAYS disconnect USB port from computer during storms or even better when not in use. Check external equipment for faults that could damage USB port (hot chassis, bad grounds, etc.)  Thanks."
View Quote

The work was handled under warranty.  I only had to cover the shipping cost to the service center, warranty covered repair & return shipping.  

Guess I'm back to being a happy camper!  In preparation for the rig's return, I reworked all station grounds & the central ground point, added a PS chassis ground to the PC and now use a grounded chassis industrial USB hub (powered by the same suppy as the radio) for radio related USB connections (radio, RS-232 adapter, USB audio adapter for ACC2 connection).

Nick
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
.  Cool

Thank you kenwood
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Guess I'm back to being a happy camper!  In preparation for the rig's return, I reworked all station grounds & the central ground point, added a PS chassis ground to the PC and now use a grounded chassis industrial USB hub (powered by the same suppy as the radio) for radio related USB connections (radio, RS-232 adapter, USB audio adapter for ACC2 connection).
View Quote

This should be standard practice for each of us.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Awesome! Glad she is back home!

I bet mine has the same issue, but won't be covered under warranty. Will have to wait for them to diagnose & contact me.

I' going to change my setup so I can easily disconnect rigs from everything else in the world. Put it one easily accessible spot & make it standard practice when I shutdown to pull plugs. Also PC ground is good idea, I'm gonna do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top