Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 11:24:29 AM EDT
I want to revamp the received audio in my shack.

Here is what I would like to do and I am looking for some input:

I want to have one set of good speakers with all the shack audio running into them through a mixer. I would like to run the audio from at least two HF rigs into it, the computer, as well as the audio from my VHF/UHF FM rig. More inputs would be more better.
In addition, I would like to have one or more 1:1 isolation transformers (whatever the right term for them is ?) to keep any noise/RFI........out of my speakers.

Give me your thoughts please.
Speakers, mixer, cabling, transformers...................... What to buy, any tricks to hooking this up. Any better suggestions..............

Currently I have multiple speakers, some of which sometimes pick up RF......................... I want to simplify things, gain more control over things, and get some of this stuff out of my way.
Overall, I want to get rid of 90% of the stuff that is currently in my shack and this is one step in the process.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The obvious answer is to run all the audio into the mixer and run the speakers from the monitor output.

The best way to avoid RF leak might be to use the balanced output (maybe your mixer has balanced Mon out or use the main), xlr cable in to shielded powered speakers with xlr inputs.

Use shielded cables for all connections.  Balanced preferred, coaxial second choice.
Use iso transformers on each input, not the output.

Eta... Also work to make sure that your RF stays inside the coax, not outside the cable because of the antenna setup.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Mackie 802VLZ4 mixer and JBL LSR305 powered studio monitors, plus however many cables you need.

I've got a pair of the LSR305's in my shack and love them. Rock solid. No RFI using balanced connections coming from my Behringer UMC202 sound interface. I'm trying to figure out how I can justify the matching JBL subwoofer

As an unabashed Behringer fan-boy, lately I've changed my mind on these things and would steer you to the Mackie mixer line. All metal, great documentation with full schematics and, in the larger mixers like the 802VLZ4, a very useful set of aux and effects sends. I had one for a while for a project and loved it (sold it to fund the next project ).

I wouldn't stress over the isolation transformers. I would strongly consider taking the audio from the rigs from the accessory ports so that it is line level and then making all volume adjustments at the mixer. If you need to feed an interface like a Signalink then put the Signalink on an aux bus or effects send and then you can mix whatever radio you want into it.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Now we are getting somewhere.

Ok, I am not running any audio for digital modes. I have the Flex radio for that. Or if I wanted to do digital modes on the 590, it uses USB.
The only radio I could run audio out of the accessory port is the TM-V71 and I am using that audio for my digipeater, so it is going to be going out of the speaker jacks.

I want to run the speaker output for my Flex, my TS-590, my TM-V71, and at least one computer. This will be strictly for speaker audio. Again, more inputs would be nice. I got plenty of other stuff I could plug into it.
As I said, I just want one set of speakers and I want to be able to adjust the levels of the various radios all in one place although I could just do it from the radio's front panel. I guess that isn't a real big deal, but having them all go into one set of speakers is.

When you guy's talk about balance audio, how does that work ?
I understand what balanced audio is. But, I am assuming you don't get balanced audio out of the radios ????  Maybe you do, they use a TRS connector. I know the Flex puts out two channels of audio. I know the KX3 does...........................  

What kind of connection is there on the speakers ?

Is it OK to sit those speakers down on a wood tabletop or is it better to use stands ?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a link that provides a simple explanation of balanced vs. unbalanced audio.

Almost all rigs use unbalanced audio outputs. Speaker level outputs will have to be attenuated. Line level outputs are preferred. "Line" generally equates to "instrument" in the pro audio world. You will not want to plug a line level signal into a mic connector. But almost all mixers provide for line/instrument level inputs on all channels that have a mic preamp.

Here is another, more in-depth discussion of balanced vs. unbalanced and how to interconnect the two types of devices.

Balanced audio cables generally use either an XLR or a 1/4" TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connector. So when you look at a TRS type balanced audio cable do not be fooled into thinking it is a stereo cable! Rarely do you see consumer type stereo interconnects in pro audio equipment. But there are exceptions to everything!

The trade-off between XLR and TRS is also complex. Electrically they are the same, but XLRs are designed to make a ground contact first to facilitate hot plug/unplug, are mechanically more robust and provide better shielding. Mostly the choice is made by whether or not an XLR will fit into the design. Higher densities require smaller connectors, hence the TRS.

Jacks on a mixer may be marked "BAL/UNBAL" or some such thing. In this case it will accept and work with either a balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (TR--tip, ring) connector. The Mackie mixer I recommended is nice because it supports either balanced or unbalanced on almost all inputs and outputs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I just realized I didn't answer all of your questions. For rigs that have stereo outputs you will need to buy or construct a cable that splits that into two channels for input into the mixer.

The speakers can be mounted however you like. I have mine on stands that sit behind my monitors. I have some foam pads that create a little down-tilt. Some people like to put them on foam pads if their furniture has some sort of resonance.

Most studio monitors like the JBLs will accept either XLR or TRS balanced cables from the mixer.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Klipsch center channel speakers work very well. You can find a used one on Ebay for about $40. Put a few snap-on ferrite chokes on the cable to minimize common mode RF current on the cable and keep the cable as short as possible.
I've been using a EcoXgear amplified speaker with both my base rig and my KX3 portable. The speaker sounds amazing. They are only $37 at Costco. I'll post a part number if you are interested. They sound amazing with SSB audio, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
You can take audio from any radio, convert it to balanced at the radio, run it into the mixer, then to the speakers.  One input from each radio.  If you also need the audio elsewhere use the direct output on the channel or an aux mix to send to the computer.  An aux mix would allow you to send the audio from any channel.
Even if it's speaker level, it can be converted to mic/line level for the mixer input.   Match the impedance, level and connection type for each input.
One speaker, dozens of radios.  No problem.

Stereo input channels on the mixer are great for handling radios with stereo outputs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out W2IHY audio switch and other products. LINK
He is great do deal with and stands behind his products. I've been using his EQPlus and have been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
These are very handy for converting most signal sources to a balanced/low impedance, xlr out that the mixers like to see and can be run long distance without noise.

Not always needed, but they work great when you need them.  First I would just hard wire mic cables to the radios.  Use these for problem children...

Direct input box.  Called a DI (you want passive type)
Stereo, mono, speaker level, headphone out, etc.  Most have a pass thru to split the signal off to a second destination.  Many kinds...

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I still believe it is hard to beat the metal cased (now antique) Motorola speakers for voice. Plus, it gives just enough vintage touch.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still believe it is hard to beat the metal cased (now antique) Motorola speakers for voice. Plus, it gives just enough vintage touch.
View Quote

Not at all. I once thought this as well. But the JBL's turned out to be one of the best things I've done to improve intelligibility so far. Almost as good as headphones! And I've got some folks on 75M telling me that I must get the subwoofer, too!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not at all. I once thought this as well. But the JBL's turned out to be one of the best things I've done to improve intelligibility so far. Almost as good as headphones! And I've got some folks on 75M telling me that I must get the subwoofer, too!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You hang around that bunch and you will be looking to add another large diaphragm drum base microphone. Two is one and one is none.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You hang around that bunch and you will be looking to add another large diaphragm drum base microphone. Two is one and one is none.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're missing out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're missing out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're missing out.

I'm not into ESSB much but I'm very picky about TX and RX audio quality. My DSP low filter is set to 150 Hz on RX and 100Hz on TX. So far it's been working great. I've tried numerous hi-fi speakers but finally ended up with a Klipsch center-channel speaker. It's tailored for speech and has very clear mid-range. Lately I have been using a small BLuetoth amplified speaker. It sounds amazing. I bought one for my KX3 but tried it with my FTDX3000. I could not believe how crisp and clear it sounds. Great volume too. I ended up buying another one.
Here is a picture of the speaker hooked up to the KX3. I hooked it up to the PHONES jack. It works for several days on a charge but I simply plug it into the charger when I leave my shack for the night.

You can see it in the shack, near the amplifier. It's very small but works great. The Klipsch is behind the monitor.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:23:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm not into ESSB much but I'm very picky about TX and RX audio quality. My DSP low filter is set to 150 Hz on RX and 100Hz on TX. So far it's been working great. I've tried numerous hi-fi speakers but finally ended up with a Klipsch center-channel speaker. It's tailored for speech and has very clear mid-range. Lately I have been using a small BLuetoth amplified speaker. It sounds amazing. I bought one for my KX3 but tried it with my FTDX3000.I could not believe the clarity of the sound. I ended up buying another one.
Here is a picture of the speaker hooked up to the KX3. I hooked it up to the PHONES jack. It works for several days on a charge but I simply plug it into the charger when I leave my shack for the night.

http://i.imgur.com/1JK8LUN.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're missing out.

I'm not into ESSB much but I'm very picky about TX and RX audio quality. My DSP low filter is set to 150 Hz on RX and 100Hz on TX. So far it's been working great. I've tried numerous hi-fi speakers but finally ended up with a Klipsch center-channel speaker. It's tailored for speech and has very clear mid-range. Lately I have been using a small BLuetoth amplified speaker. It sounds amazing. I bought one for my KX3 but tried it with my FTDX3000.I could not believe the clarity of the sound. I ended up buying another one.

http://i.imgur.com/1JK8LUN.jpg

Watch this video on something with a sub and then with something that doesn't.

ETA:  I'm just using a speaker system that came with a computer back in 2002.  I know they are at 5k wide, but doesn't have anything to do with the sub.
If you can't take advantage of anything other than 100-2900 (though you'd still here some difference) then I wouldn't suggest purchasing a sub.  But for aa777888-2's case, he should.

There's videos of aa777888-2 out there as well but didn't want to list those.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#17]
That's about how my rig sounds when I open up the bandwidth and run it into the good quality computer speakers with a subwoofer. I personally prefer to add more mid range for better clarity and reduce bass level. The problem is that 90% of stations have narrower TX bandwidth and about half the stations have way below average TX quality. Besides that, opening up the receiver on a busy band will bring more noise and interference from nearby stations. I'm lucky to live outside of the city limits and have nearly zero RF noise. The radio's receiver is very quiet and I hardly ever use DSP noise reduction. Stations with good TX quality sound like AM. My dad lives in a city and his noise is at S9 on 20 meters and at S9+20 on 80 and 40 meters. He tried getting into ESSB but gave up because of that.
I do a lot of DX-ing and good mid-range speaker works better than a full range speaker (with a sub) .
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Watch this video on something with a sub and then with something that doesn't.

ETA:  I'm just using a speaker system that came with a computer back in 2002.  I know they are at 5k wide, but doesn't have anything to do with the sub.
If you can't take advantage of anything other than 100-2900 (though you'd still here some difference) then I wouldn't suggest purchasing a sub.  But for aa777888-2's case, he should.

There's videos of aa777888-2 out there as well but didn't want to list those.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuMtzyX_t4
View Quote

Those are some of the best sounding signals on amateur radio right there. I've told Gary that he should do voice work, seriously!

I was joking a bit about getting the sub. It would be nice to have but only for a very narrow spectrum of radio operations, if you'll pardon the pun Basically when you are doing the ESSB thing and everyone has their TX passbands set down to 50Hz or even lower. It's a lot of money I can spend on antennas. But I'm continually amazed at what a difference the LSR305's make for every kind of signal. After getting them I rarely reach for the headphones to copy a difficult signal anymore. Originally I did think they would be overkill, in true arfcom fashion got them anyway, and now am not sorry at all!

Oh, hell, you know I'm eventually going to crack and buy that subwoofer
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#19]
What about stepping up to the 308s instead of the sub? that would get you some lower response and save you a few bucks. Granted not as low as the sub but lower than the 305s.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: Lately I have been using a small BLuetoth amplified speaker. It sounds amazing. I bought one for my KX3 but tried it with my FTDX3000. I could not believe how crisp and clear it sounds. Great volume too. I ended up buying another one.
View Quote

Got a model number or link?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Deal of the week! JBL LR3 series buy one get one half off plus free shipping.
Deal
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Lately I have been using a small BLuetoth amplified speaker. It sounds amazing. I bought one for my KX3 but tried it with my FTDX3000. I could not believe how crisp and clear it sounds. Great volume too. I ended up buying another one.

Here is the link to amazon: LINK. EcoXgear model # GDI-EGPB100. I bought mine at Costco for $37. I also bought a bigger, expensive Sony BT speaker. The Sony sounds much better for playing music but the small speaker (EcoXgear) sounds fantastic with SSB audio, much better than Sony. Give it a try, you won't regret it.
I also like to set DSP Contour audio filter to +10db and center Contour frequency at 2kHz. It improves readability, especially on weak signals with a lot of QRM in the background.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top