Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2015 1:38:22 PM EDT
It makes for a very disorganized looking shack.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quick connect/disconnect and swapping.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, it makes them ugly. Don't buy them. Astrons linear PS have power posts on the back,so do Samlex PS. IMHO a linear PS like Astron is the best choice if weight and size don't bother you. Having a transformer, provides good galvanic isolation and lower fault currents.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree, it makes them ugly. Don't buy them. Astrons linear PS have power posts on the back,so do Samlex PS. IMHO a linear PS like Astron is the best choice if weight and size don't bother you. Having a transformer, provides good galvanic isolation and lower fault currents.
View Quote

Yea, I wish i had the space for a linear power supply... not yer though but I will as soon as I can get my attic room/shack completed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

And they are Quieter (less RF Noise)

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It reduces the number of operations required to produce them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I only buy power supplies with high current rear connectors.  I'm ok with having ones int he front for low-current/aux/cig/pp connections.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not yet drank the Powerpole Koolaid.   1/4" studs on the back, thank you.   My Alinco supply has little clips on the front for occasional use but if the load is permanent it hooks up to the back.   My RS-50M only has the studs.

Oh I have never had a noise problem with the switcher.   On the other hand there are some Samsung wallwarts hereabouts which are real screamers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I really like having power pole connectors, or any other connectors for that matter on a power supply to be on the front.
I have at least one power supply that I bought solely because of that.

There are two senarios:

The first one is that in my ham shack, I put the power supplies all the way to the back of the top shelf totally out of the way and out of sight. I don't really need to see or touch the power supply 99% of the time. I leave my power supply on all the time. However, if I do need to access the connections on the power supply, they are right there where I need them and I don't have to move anything to get to them. FWIW: I have equipment running 24/7 like my APRS digipeater. I normally don't turn off much of my radio equipment for years at a time.

The second thing is that I have a power supply on my work bench. It is some kind of MFJ power supply that has a variety of different connectors on the front. Binding posts, Power Poles, Lighter Plug. It is also metered and variable. I thought this would make an ideal bench power supply: I can plug in a wide variety of stuff without having to change the connectors on the device, I can vary the voltage if I need to, and I have metering. I have the power supply on the back of the bench up against a wall. I dont' want to have to turn it around to connect anything.

I am sitting in my ham shack right now at the operating position and I can't even see my power supplies.

I also have a couple power supplies that were built to be rack mounted. All the connectors, both DC and AC are on the front. If they wern't, you would have to move the whole rack, or pull the power supply out of the rack to access the connectors unless the rack was sitting in the middle of the floor. Of course since it is rack mounted, you could mount it in the rack backwards so you opened the doors, you are looking at the back of the power supply.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I, too, have had not problem with Samlex switching supplies as far as noise.

But you don't know what you are missing not using Powerpoles.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder why they don't put them on the front and the back, thus giving the user a choice of which one works best for their particular shack. I use a linear power supply that has the connectors on the front. It would work better for me if they were on the back.

But I guess this is another one of those first world problems.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Meh.  I think they are better than a cigarette lighter plug.  Besides, I've gone and chopped off a few cigarette lighter plugs off of things and replaced them with power poles.  

The PowerWerx 30A power supply I use doesn't even have power pole connectors.  Just good old terminal posts.  Simple enough to crimp on the Power Poles, even though I would have thought that they would have put Power Poles on it as they do the other model in the line.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are fine as far as RF noise but the cooling fan is kind of noisy. It does not stay on all the time though. I wish they had a variable speed fan.
Power poles are very handy. The only issues I had was that it takes a slight pull on the cable to unplug the connector. I wish they had a snug fit. Other than that they work great and are very easy to install.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:04:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are fine as far as RF noise but the cooling fan is kind of noisy. It does not stay on all the time though. I wish they had a variable speed fan.
Power poles are very handy. The only issues I had was that it takes a slight pull on the cable to unplug the connector. I wish they had a snug fit. Other than that they work great and are very easy to install.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the newer Power Poles that come paired (or if you glue them to avoid using the roll pin) they have clips to hold them together so they won't come undone when pulled on.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top