User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What a coincidence, my Bencher arrived in the mail today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Begali Adventure arrived today.  Wow this thing is so nice.  Now I have to learn how to use it.  :-)

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-7qQZpBg/0/S/i-7qQZpBg-S.jpg

What a coincidence, my Bencher arrived in the mail today.

Very cool.  

As I expected.  I am learning the sounds much easier now that I am actually keying.  It clicks better in my brain.  The KX3 is an amazing machine.  Even with the power turned down to 0 I am still running a dummy load just in case.  :-)   The wife asked what I wanted to do tomorrow.  I want to play with my key.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!
Got the same key a little month ago, serial 311, what is yours?

Try to have aprox 1/3 og 1/4 sending in a trainingsession. The sending helps on the reciving and motivation, the cw-decode on the kx3 is great for this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice!
Got the same key a little month ago, serial 311, what is yours?
View Quote

Not sure how but I got a much lower number.  Mine probably came from the earlier batch that was sent to the US.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have #56
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been listening to the apps for the last few days and slowly making progress.  Last night the wife and kid were out of the house for a few hours so I sat and listened to  the Learning Morse iOS app from Rob KB3BYT.  That really helped.  I am finally through all of the letters and numbers.  I can generally pick out the correct character about 85% of the time.  

The only downside to this is that for some reason I got very little sleep last night and when I did I was dreaming in morse code.    

I am still having trouble keeping track of the letters. I hear them and can recognize them but putting them together into words has not clicked yet.  Up until now I have been hearing them as random letters.  I am hoping that if I transition to words that it may help.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep.
This is the reason i dont think its a good idea to practice random code characters. I advocate listening to words and sentences that really mean something.

It used to be that people told you to practice only random gibberish so thst you couldn't guess what was coming.

Bullshit.

Sounds like yoh are doing great. Have fun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...The only downside to this is that for some reason I got very little sleep last night and when I did I was dreaming in morse code.    ...
View Quote

You're getting there! You'll soon find yourself translating road signs and such into CW.

The letters-to-words transition will kick in as your speed increases.

The SKCC Weekend Sprint (WES) runs from 1200Z June 13th through June 14th. Why not join up and stick your toe in the water? Or at least listen in for practice? There's be plenty of slow speed hand-sent CW to hone your skill.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The SKCC Weekend Sprint (WES) runs from 1200Z June 13th through June 14th. Why not join up and stick your toe in the water? Or at least listen in for practice? There's be plenty of slow speed hand-sent CW to hone your skill.
View Quote

I had not planned it to work out this way but I am taking off from work the 11th and 12th so that I can focus on learning CW.  I want to transition from listening to sending then if possible so I might just jump in.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys are going to make me learn code...again.  
I learned enough to pass the 5 wpm test 10 years ago or so for general and promptly never used it again.  Never really thought much of wanting to use it until the last half year ago.
After getting the PRC-320 in addition to moving to a place with no outside antenna, CW seems like a good idea.  Am going to download the software and see where this goes...
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I finally had time to polish up the American Morse Equipment DCP paddles.  I know I kind of over did it with the mirror finish :-)  

photos
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I finally had time to polish up the American Morse Equipment DCP paddles.  I know I kind of over did it with the mirror finish :-)  

photos
View Quote

Bravo! That looks superb!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Excellent job on the polish !!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Excellent job on the polish !!!
View Quote

Dziekuje!
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I had not planned it to work out this way but I am taking off from work the 11th and 12th so that I can focus on learning CW.  I want to transition from listening to sending then if possible so I might just jump in.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go for it! I had a very nice 45 minute QSO with a CW newbie a couple of days ago -- at 3 WPM. Well, actually he was an old timer who was just getting back into CW after a 30 year hiatus on SSB.

I'm often monitoring 7.055 while I'm doing other things. Give a call.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]
OK Downloaded the Zen and reading and following that. But once I downloaded G4FON software it is up-dated and I can't seem to get it to do the characters Zen recommends to learn first. Anyone else with this issue and how did you solve this or what did you do???
Sarge
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK Downloaded the Zen and reading and following that. But once I downloaded G4FON software it is up-dated and I can't seem to get it to do the characters Zen recommends to learn first. Anyone else with this issue and how did you solve this or what did you do???
Sarge
View Quote

Sarge - Did you create a text file of the each days group of letters from the Zen book in a text editor like Windows Notepad and then save the file and then open in G4FON?

I have G4FON version 9.2.4 and it works for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
No I didn't...Yes I will
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have listened to the apps, studied, practiced sending, listened some more, and finally decided to hook up the antenna.  
I listened for a bit to a couple exchanges and got familiar to the controls on the KX3 for CW that I have never used before.

I heard a call I could make out in the slow speed CW area of 40 meters and turned up my power.  I figured what the hell.  The worst I can do is screw it up.  
I replied to his CQ, gave my call, and nothing... Either I confused the shit out of him or he did not hear me.  20 seconds elapsed giving me time to think of how bad it must have sounded. Then BOOOM outside the house.  Frak...

It was not too close but I could hear it through my earbuds.  I am not keen on testing my station grounding while I am connected to the radio.  So I will be waiting until tonight or tomorrow to make another attempt at my first CW contact I guess.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there a defacto standard on iambic for which paddle is the dits and which is for the dahs?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is there a defacto standard on iambic for which paddle is the dits and which is for the dahs?
View Quote

Traditionally, dits are with the thumb.

But the correct answer is whichever way is most comfortable for you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am using the standard with dits on the thumb side.  Also using mode B.  I am amazed as how easy it makes keying.  I have played with straight, paddles, and bugs a while back just to see what they were like.  There is nothing wrong with any of them but I liked the minimal motion of the Iambic Paddles.  It was more comfortable for me.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have listened to the apps, studied, practiced sending, listened some more, and finally decided to hook up the antenna.  
I listened for a bit to a couple exchanges and got familiar to the controls on the KX3 for CW that I have never used before.

I heard a call I could make out in the slow speed CW area of 40 meters and turned up my power.  I figured what the hell.  The worst I can do is screw it up.  
I replied to his CQ, gave my call, and nothing... Either I confused the shit out of him or he did not hear me.  20 seconds elapsed giving me time to think of how bad it must have sounded. Then BOOOM outside the house.  Frak...

It was not too close but I could hear it through my earbuds.  I am not keen on testing my station grounding while I am connected to the radio.  So I will be waiting until tonight or tomorrow to make another attempt at my first CW contact I guess.
View Quote

Nice attempt!!!

You know what's even more frightening? When they actually come back to you.

Sincerely,

Someone with exactly two CW QSOs under their belt. (one of which was on 6m)
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Got a wire up at mom and dads while the ribs are on the grill for dinner.  Wife was in class and the kid at camp so I had time to play.  Practiced a bit, listened for a while, and started sending CQ a bit ago.  I then noticed the panadapter had gone virtually blank.  Dammit, 20M is going up and down for me.  I did not bring the amp with me so I am only pushing 12 watts.  I figure maybe one of the local guys will hear me later between mopping the ribs.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got a wire up at mom and dads while the ribs are on the grill for dinner.  Wife was in class and the kid at camp so I had time to play.  Practiced a bit, listened for a while, and started sending CQ a bit ago.  I then noticed the panadapter had gone virtually blank.  Dammit, 20M is going up and down for me.  I did not bring the amp with me so I am only pushing 12 watts.  I figure maybe one of the local guys will hear me later between mopping the ribs.  
View Quote

I'm around for a little while.......pick a frequency.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#25]
14.054 has been clear.  My call starts with KK4
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Listening.  

I'm the WB4 station.

EDIT:  Not hearing anything, but I'm not hearing much of anyone, today.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Listening.  

I'm the WB4 station.

EDIT:  Not hearing anything, but I'm not hearing much of anyone, today.
View Quote

I sent for a few minutes and turned the volume up all the way to see if anyone responded.   Then had a large static crash come through the speaker.  I looked outside and realized a thunderstorm was forming overhead. Just checked the radar and they are firing off all around us.  I took the wire down and tossed it in the window for now.  If things clear up I will try again. Thanks for listening though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Propagation doesn't seem great today, anyway.  I can't hear most of the SKCC guys, either.

Well, I'll be around, and anytime you want to give it a try, give a shout.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Will do.  Going to be busy for a bit and my key might be a little "sticky" after.  :-)  

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Traditionally dits are thumbs and dahs are fingers.

I'm the other way and send dahs with my thumb. Tried both and it seemed that I sent cleaner code with the paddles reversed. Try both and pick one that works for you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm the other way and send dahs with my thumb. Tried both and it seemed that I sent cleaner code with the paddles reversed. Try both and pick one that works for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yay!  It's not just me!
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yay!  It's not just me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yay!  It's not just me!

Though I'm not sure I qualify due to lack of use. I may try to change that this week while the wife and girls are out of town.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top