Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2015 2:24:47 PM EDT
From a power / radio / antenna perspective, what would you do with a M109A4 like this?  http://www.tradenetclassics.com/vdp.php?classics=1993-AM%2520General-M109A4-&id=110087

This isn't the specific one I'm considering, but they're all pretty much the same (condition aside).  I'm considering getting rid of my Harley in favor of one of these, and there are two for sale locally.  Ham radio would figure in prominently...  I've been studying the 24V power system / inverter and reading up on what I'd be in for from a general maintenance perspective.  The two I'm looking at have already been in private hands, so not direct from DRMO (and assume they're titled & registered - waiting on more specifics on one in particular).  

I've seen a couple of pretty cool examples of these, but none heavily outfitted with radios.  Power and HF antennas are where my mind wanders...  Some ideas on outfitting the box are coming from a fellow ARFCOMmer (scroll down to the middle of the thread):  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/661998_New_BOV____Mobile_Hunt_Camp.html.  Needs moar radio though.

I haven't committed yet (and haven't covered this with the XYL).  Give me inspiration (or talk me out of it)
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would so trade a Harley for that. As for the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would so trade a Harley for that. As for the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
View Quote

That's where I'm headed, but still weighing the consequences!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Just tell her how much safer you will be in this than on a Harley.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just tell her how much safer you will be in this than on a Harley.
View Quote

Lots of truth in that.  Traffic in Vegas is horrible, and lots of motorcycle accidents.  It's definitely one reason I'm not riding the Harley much any more.  It's harder to ham on a Harley too!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Now THAT is a GO-BOX!! And don't forget to paint it ARFCOM Go-Box ORANGE!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#6]
A guy here in town has a Swedish Army vehicle that was a como truck when it was active duty. He has done a fine job of restoring it and added a pile of ham gear to it. If I see it at field day or somewhere I will try to snap a few photos. I always thought a field ambulance would make a great rig for such a conversion.

For the truck you are interested a fairly large parabolic mounted on the back would be impressive. Something with a 4-6' dish would definitely get you some superior gain. Talk to the Intl. Space Station, easy peasy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
First radio to go in would be a green 7200. I mean come on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]
There HAS to be a size-based exception to the Go-Box orange rule I'd think.  And yes, a 7200 seems most fitting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
There may be a Orange rule exception BUT you have to admit with Las Vegas traffic it WOULD be SEEN!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks for those - I hadn't seen them.  That is AWESOME and gives me great ideas!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I traded my HD's for 5 kids...now I need a truck like that to haul them all in!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to Steelsoldiers.com
They are the arfcom of surplus vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go to Steelsoldiers.com
They are the arfcom of surplus vehicles.
View Quote

Yup - signed up and soaking it all in!

Cale:  You should have one of these with all those kids and farm land!  I've got an urban tract home (but no HOA), so parking it may be a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top