Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2015 5:12:50 PM EDT
I didn't want to hijack Speargun's Bearcat Scanner thread, so here's a related scanner antenna thread...

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the DPD Omni-X as well as the Diamond Discone.  The DPD always beats the discone on the public safety bands bands that the Omni-X covers.  Always.

Omni-X on the right, discone on the left.

<a href="http://s49.photobucket.com/user/killmoles/media/IMG_2472-resize.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/killmoles/IMG_2472-resize.jpg</a>
View Quote

This thread reminded me I need a scanner antenna for my RS Pro-106.  Just pulled the trigger on a DPD Omni-X.  I remember KCC posting on this several years ago.  Help/ideas to increase scanner reception?
View Quote

You should like it, BigDaddy!  I'm reworking that tower in one month, and the DPD will still be up but the discone is coming down and going into storage.
View Quote

Got the antenna and mast and was on the way out to install it on the playhouse roof.  The only thing that stopped me was the thunder and lightning.  I know about the inverse rule of putting up an antenna in adverse weather, but I draw the line at lightning while holding a metal rod!    
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You can use it inside while you wait for the storm to pass.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
That's not going to be omnidirectional.  That's a biconical antenna but in only 2D, so it will be bidirectional.

I don't know that there is much advantage to a biconical design over a discone for vertical polarization.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
It would be interesting to get the designer's thoughts, Gamma.  I see it as a 3-element vertical fan dipole rather than biconic, but I also suspect it's a combination of both.  Both of which are omnidirectional.  His marketing info says,
Elements are specifically tuned for 118-137 MHz, 148-175 MHz and 225-900 MHz
View Quote

I assume the shortest element which is the larger diameter tube to be for the higher freqs, with the large diameter allowing such a wide bandwidth, and the other element pairs to be for the two VHF band sections.

My antenna analyzer only goes up to 170 MHz.  I'd love to see the entire plot up to 1 GHz.

ETA:  The color and design of yours looks completely different than mine, BigDaddy.  I've had mine for several years though.  Maybe you sprayed yours with cammo paint?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
nice thread, homeboy.  have been looking for more info on these.

as to the antenna design, owner of the company is supposedly very responsive to email, & i have seen him post before on radioreference.com

here's a link to a long & informative post by him:

http://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-receiver-antennas/96034-dpd-omnix-multi-band-scanner-antenna.html#post740056

have been looking at pulling the trigger on one of these, but am more interested in the 850 Mhz band for public safety, & have been shopping for omnidirectional gain antennas in this regard.  also, it is a bit spendy  

standing by to see BigDaddy0004's review of this thing, since he always buys all the cool spendy stuff.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA:  The color and design of yours looks completely different than mine, BigDaddy.  I've had mine for several years though.  Maybe you sprayed yours with cammo paint?
View Quote

Yep!  That's the 10-year old playhouse camo pattern!  
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the link, generalissimo.  I forgot that I had read that before, and it confirms that it was designed as a 3-element vertical fan dipole.  I actually bought mine when I was active on RR, which I joined long before Arfcom...
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link, generalissimo.
View Quote

Yes, thanks from me, too!  I'll hopefully get it up sometime this week between storms.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't see any storms on the radar, or any pics of a new antenna mounted up high either.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't see any storms on the radar, or any pics of a new antenna mounted up high either.  
View Quote

Probably 'cause I was gabbing on the radio!  Just finished up the Arfcom IRLP/Echolink Net.  The antenna is up with a temporary coax.  Should be able to terminate the Davis RF BuryFlex coax tomorrow, and take some pics.  I can't get it up as high as I'd like to because of the HOA police, but it's a noticeable improvement from the handheld scanners rubber duck, that's for sure!  
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Like previously said, not as high up as I'd like, but HOA stealth rules apply.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
It's almost invisible and just looks like a pole.  You could put a pirate flag on it for your kids!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
BigDad, any updates on the new antenna/scanner combo?  how is it comparing to the whip it came with?  how well does it pull in 2m/70cm repeaters vs. an HT w/ a whip?

i didn't go back through the thread to see what freqs your public safety is on, but, assuming it's in the 700-850 MHz range, how is it doing picking those up?  any more distant municipalities the outside antenna is picking up, vs/ the original whip?

ETA:  are you running coax from the antenna to the scanner, buried in the ground?  LMR-400, or something else?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BigDad, any updates on the new antenna/scanner combo?  how is it comparing to the whip it came with?  how well does it pull in 2m/70cm repeaters vs. an HT w/ a whip?

i didn't go back through the thread to see what freqs your public safety is on, but, assuming it's in the 700-850 MHz range, how is it doing picking those up?  any more distant municipalities the outside antenna is picking up, vs/ the original whip?

ETA:  are you running coax from the antenna to the scanner, buried in the ground?  LMR-400, or something else?
View Quote

Sorry for the delayed reply, generalissimo.  Busy weekend with the family!  

The new Omni-X antenna is replacing the short rubber duck on my handheld Radio Shack Pro-106 Scanner, when I'm in the shack.  I have an approx 45' length of Davis RF 9914F BuryFlex (LMR-400 size) coax running through conduit from the shack to just above the playhouse roof.

I think the frequencies I have programmed in the scanner from Radio Reference are in the Public Safety range you said above... 700-850 MHz.  These are for the Indy suburb city of Lawrence PD and FD, Indy Metro PD and FD and Indy Regional Airport unicom freq of 122.7.

Since I'm comparing the new outdoor antenna to a rubber duck on a handheld scanner, it's a big improvement, as you can imagine.  Most notable is being able to hear both sides of conversations between Dispatch and field units.  Still exploring the increased receive benefits...  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry for the delayed reply, generalissimo.  Busy weekend with the family!  

The new Omni-X antenna is replacing the short rubber duck on my handheld Radio Shack Pro-106 Scanner, when I'm in the shack.  I have an approx 45' length of Davis RF 9914F BuryFlex (LMR-400 size) coax running through conduit from the shack to just above the playhouse roof.

I think the frequencies I have programmed in the scanner from Radio Reference are in the Public Safety range you said above... 700-850 MHz.  These are for the Indy suburb city of Lawrence PD and FD, Indy Metro PD and FD and Indy Regional Airport unicom freq of 122.7.

Since I'm comparing the new outdoor antenna to a rubber duck on a handheld scanner, it's a big improvement, as you can imagine.  Most notable is being able to hear both sides of conversations between Dispatch and field units.  Still exploring the increased receive benefits...  

View Quote

sounds like you have an optimal setup there, homie.  i have a Pro-106 in the box, that i need to get off my posterior & program.  how hard a task is this,  assuming one has the requisite Radioreference files?  easy peasy, or frustrating?  

as much as the police are going in/out of the gated townhouses across the street from me, seems i need to motivate & get this done, if it is not too much of a pain.

not sure i can get your high zoot setup just yet, but will be following along for your reports.  enjoy the weekend w/ the family
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...how hard a task is this,  assuming one has the requisite Radioreference files?  easy peasy, or frustrating?
View Quote

I haven't done this in 4+ years, but using WIN500 software and Radio Reference it wasn't too hard.  

Direct Link to this Post in the 2010 ARCHIVED THREAD - Radio Shack black friday: $100 off all scanners

WIN500 Tutorial

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I haven't done this in 4+ years, but using WIN500 software and Radio Reference it wasn't too hard.  

Direct Link to this Post in the 2010 ARCHIVED THREAD - Radio Shack black friday: $100 off all scanners

WIN500 Tutorial

http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Win500%20SS.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...how hard a task is this,  assuming one has the requisite Radioreference files?  easy peasy, or frustrating?

WIN500 Tutorial

http://home.comcast.net/~gregbell/Win500%20SS.jpg

yo.  appreciate the reply, & the link to that archived thread.  that thread's got a lot of good info in it.  thank you.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top