Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 9:38:11 PM EDT

Got something I have been wanting for a while.  Will need a little cleaning up but it's not too bad.

WWII Signal Corp key.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool, have you put it on your leg yet?  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice - that's going to be fun  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Not yet.  Cleaning it and making a cord for it.  Cord has to be authentic so I got a woven cloth wrapped guitar cord to cut up and make the cord.  Had to be cloth covered.  Now I'm thinking I need to find a 1940's radio to go with it.  This addiction never ends.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My uncle had one he would use while driving.

His trunk had some Godawful collection of WW2 gear in it and the antenna looked like something out of the Jetsons.

He could drive a 3 in the tree in downtown Boston, carry a conversation with a passenger and a conversation with another ham in Timbuktu on CW.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

His trunk had some Godawful collection of WW2 gear in it and the antenna looked like something out of the Jetsons.

He could drive a 3 in the tree in downtown Boston, carry a conversation with a passenger and a conversation with another ham in Timbuktu on CW.

View Quote
So your whole family is crazy.    At least you aren't the only one.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice! This would be great for mobile operation. I worked several guys who were driving and operating a CW paddle. A straight key may be a challenge on bumpy roads.
BTW, 20 years ago I had a CW QSO with an Italian who was operating a straight key with his left foot. He was doing a great job at about 20 WPM.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

During WW2 my uncle was told by the army NOT to inlist and the draft board was told NOT to draft him.

The OSS grabbed him to teach high speed radio operators.

He had some pretty funny stories about the old widow that ran the draft board.

"That's not fair to the other boys," she said. She tried to draft him anyway.

When he was in Virginia somewhere teaching CW his mom called and told him he was ordered to report for his physical. A brigadier general took his physical for him. He went to the Boston MEPS (or whatever it was then) with his notice and handed it to the MD who promptly stamped it 4F.

I swear he could send CW 120 wpm in his sleep.

In the early 60s a (IIRC) Japanese national got into a car wreck and the only thing they could find out about him was that he was a licensed amateur radio operator. My uncle was called and they communicated in CW to find out who he was etc.

He WAS kind of a character. He was in his 70s and took my sisters bicycle, sat on the handlebars and rode it backwards. Damn! That was funny1

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:.
View Quote

before i put that thing on, my wife wants to know what the "safe word" is.

ar-jedi  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ar-jedi  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ar-jedi  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ar-jedi  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ar-jedi  

RumpleStiltSkin

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not yet.  Cleaning it and making a cord for it.  Cord has to be authentic so I got a woven cloth wrapped guitar cord to cut up and make the cord.  Had to be cloth covered.  Now I'm thinking I need to find a 1940's radio to go with it.  This addiction never ends.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Strip the inner strands out of some 550 cord and you can use the sheath to cover wires. With all the colors and patterns available you can find an authentic looking one, and it won't be as thick as a guitar cord.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:17:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

During WW2 my uncle was told by the army NOT to inlist and the draft board was told NOT to draft him.

When he was in Virginia somewhere teaching CW his mom called and told him he was ordered to report for his physical. A brigadier general took his physical for him. He went to the Boston MEPS (or whatever it was then) with his notice and handed it to the MD who promptly stamped it 4F.

In the early 60s a (IIRC) Japanese national got into a car wreck and the only thing they could find out about him was that he was a licensed amateur radio operator. My uncle was called and they communicated in CW to find out who he was etc.

He WAS kind of a character. He was in his 70s and took my sisters bicycle, sat on the handlebars and rode it backwards. Damn! That was funny1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm starting to think there is a little something "strange" in the Piccolo genetic tree.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one of those that is in real nice condition.
However, it is not big enough to go around my leg without pain. I worked a couple people while using it, but it was uncomfortable.

I never understood why they made them out of steel like that instead of having a belt that goes around your leg ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm starting to think there is a little something "strange" in the Piccolo genetic tree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It did grow some real nuts.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Strip the inner strands out of some 550 cord and you can use the sheath to cover wires. With all the colors and patterns available you can find an authentic looking one, and it won't be as thick as a guitar cord.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might have to try that.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

However, it is not big enough to go around my leg without pain. I worked a couple people while using it, but it was uncomfortable.

I never understood why they made them out of steel like that instead of having a belt that goes around your leg ?
View Quote
They were made for the skinny 18 year old kids who were drafted just out of high school.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They were made for the skinny 18 year old kids who were drafted just out of high school.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I get that. But it just seems like a weird way to design something: one size fits all and it's not adjustable.

I guess maybe all skinny 18 year old kids drafted just out of high school must have close to the same size legs since the design seemed to work out OK.
Or it might be that in the military they don't really care if it's comfortable or not.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yeah, I get that. But it just seems like a weird way to design something: one size fits all and it's not adjustable.

I guess maybe all skinny 18 year old kids drafted just out of high school must have close to the same size legs since the design seemed to work out OK.

Or it might be that in the military they don't really care if it's comfortable or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will agree that this one from American Morse Equipment is more practical.

http://www.americanmorse.com/portapaddlelegmount.htm

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Very practical design for when you're trying to send while bouncing around in a B-17 dodging flak.

It's a great sending key. I unscrewed mine from the leg band and mounted it on a wooden base. One minute with a screwdriver and it's back to the original configuration.

Here's what you need to go with it.

Many Novices got their start with an ARC-5, much to the detriment of the neighborhood TV reception.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Might have to try that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might have to try that.

Tried it and I am pleased with the way it turned out.  Shrink tube to finish the ends.

I hope you don't have a patent on that design so I have to pay royalties for doing this.

I have several other colors and may make some more of them.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Very practical design for when you're trying to send while bouncing around in a B-17 dodging flak.

It's a great sending key. I unscrewed mine from the leg band and mounted it on a wooden base. One minute with a screwdriver and it's back to the original configuration.

http://hug-a-bug.com/arc5a.jpg

Many Novices got their start with an ARC-5, much to the detriment of the neighborhood TV reception.
View Quote

I used a receiver that looks like that for awhile. I never got into command sets enough to know all the appropriate nomenclature. When I was a novice, the final amplifier TRANSISTORS were smoked in my Ten Tec Century 21 at field day. I sent the rig back to the factory for service and a local guy loaned me that receiver and a homebrew tube transmitter that was built on something like a cake pan only it was bigger than most cake pans. There was no cabinet; the transmitter circuitry was all open.
This was an 80 meter rig with no T/R switch. I don't remember how I handled that problem; i may have actually physically clipped the antenna lead on one, then the other. But I remember having worked contacts on it. It was on 80 meters (crystal controlled).
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Like this one

I used one during my Novice days, along with a two tube regenerative receiver. The 'ginny was more selective, but the ARC-5 had much better stability. My transmitter was a crystal controlled one-tuber (6AG7) that put out about 5 Watts into a folded dipole. I paid $7 for the receiver and converted it. The transmitter was built mostly of parts from old radios and TV sets.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://hug-a-bug.com/arc5a.jpg

View Quote

On second thought, go WWII hi-tech and get this:

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top