Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 8:33:57 AM EDT
Does anybody make a GMRS with full power and a reasonable antenna? I'd like a better radio to use as a sort of base station and give the kids a bubble-pack that they can abuse.

I have a GMRS license. I know the UV-5 Baofengs are not allowed to transmit on GMRS or FRS, but dammit, that would be SO convenient. Getting thee whole family to pass Tech isn't really an option.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered one of these.  I don't have any personal experience, but it's worth a shot.

Anytone TERMN-8R

ETA: There are other radios in the 8R series for less money and fewer features.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll second the TERMN-8R or the OBLTR-8R. You get GMRS and the bonus of MURS.

MURS fun...

Cheers,
Brick
The Radios
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The Brick is the word but I also 3rd the TRMN-8R for the GMRS.  I am going to be putting it through its full paces next week if the weather is decent.   But my testing so far shows its a decent little radio on GMRS.  Perfect, no.  But better than bubble pack.  Plus it does MURS, Ham, and part 90.  

I am still trying to figure out the base station part as I need several of those as well.  I would love to find some surplus mobiles that are certified for part 95 AND easily programmable.  I need to go hound the guys at the radio shop again to see if any have come in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Do those Anytones use the same programming cable as the Baofeng? That also happens to be the programming cable for the Kenwood and I've got one laying around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#5]
It does.  The one I had uses the prolific chip and its not working now so I ordered one of the FTDI that should be here Monday.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Anytone TERMN-8 and a few Kenwood Tk-390's.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It does.  The one I had uses the prolific chip and its not working now so I ordered one of the FTDI that should be here Monday.
View Quote

I use the Prolific for both the UVR5 and the TERMN-8. Are you using the Prolific 3.2.0.0 version? I had a newer version and had to downgrade to 3.2.0.0 to get it to work.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
So my definition of full power and everyone else's definition of full power must be completely different if HT's are all anyone is suggesting…

Let's see, 3 out of the 5 analog only mobiles Kenwood offers have 90/95A certification. I have no clue how hard it is to get programming software. Nearly all legacy Kenwood UHF radios are 90/95A certified.  I've seen plenty of ancient GE mobiles with 90/95A certification. Motorola Radius and Maxtrac had 90/95A certification. All of the Motorola 1225 series had 90/95A certification…I could go on writing radios that fit for the next hour or so.

Now, the general consensus is any decent Part 90 radio equipment (i.e. not the Chinese stuff) is okay to use in GMRS as long as the technical specs of the service are met (wideband, analog FM) but that is up to the operator to decide whether or not they want to stick to stuff specifically type acceptance in Part 95A or if they want to run Part 90 equipment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've run part 90 stuff exclusively on GMRS for years, and even discussed it with an FCC field agent before.

He said they don't have any issue with it as long as you play by the rules. In fact he brought up a good point- if they actually didn't want Part 90 stuff on GMRS there wouldn't be a single repeater out there since there are virtually no Part 95 certified repeaters. I think there are a few now, but when I had the discussion there were not.

I have been running the Kenwood 880 series on GMRS for years. The Kenwood TK-880H is a 40w mobile  and at under $75 on the used market they are hard to beat.
View Quote

Another interesting note…the rules do actually state the a GMRS station may not communicate to an amateur station (except in emergency) doesn't say a GMRS station can't communicate with a station in the commercial, marine or license-by-rule services.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm glad I asked. I've learned a few things.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm just going to mirror what has already been said, my GMRS radios are Kenwood TK-390's for the HT's and a TK-880 for a mobile/base, and I have a pair of TK-860's that I'm hoping to turn into a repeater.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Not to hijack the thread but what blister pack GMRS radio's are best?  My thought is to augment the radios I already have and would use these as backups and wouldn't mind getting beat up or destroyed.  I would also like for them to run on alkaline batteries so I don't have to worry about them being charged when I need them.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know about "best" but I have a set of these Motorolas.

They come with chargers and rechargeable batteries but will run on AAA's. They've been pretty durable so far, as Number One Son and Super Sweetie Princess Girl are hard on them and leave them out in the rain but all four still work. At the price I paid, the Baofeng was cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Motorola sells a set that have repeater shift capability. MR3350 or something along those lines. Cabelas sells them was well as Sam's Club (at some locations). What I generally don't like about the bubble packs…they are all narrowband to comply with FRS regulations where all of the operators running traditional commercial communications gear will be running wideband. I think there are a few that have Motorola's X-pander compression/decompression codec but as far as reliability goes…its very hard to beat the surplus radios that many departments gave away as they upgraded to trunked P25 systems.

I spent a few days looking for one of my HT1000's one time…this is where I ended up finding it.

Really nothing considering I have a pair that only know the Colorado Rockies and get left on quads in rain, snow, used as snow breaks when skiing, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top