Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2015 1:57:38 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with this radio?  Just picked one up for 100 dollars from a local older HAM who is selling off a bunch of gear.  It's a compact dual band unit and from what I can gather has a tendency to overheat if operated on high power fairly quickly due to it's small fan and tight case.  Current plan for it is to mount it to the motorcycle to replace the HT I've been running on there for more oomph when mobile.  

If anyone has any experiences with this radio good or bad let me know.  There's a lack of any real reviews out there on the webz.  

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=A33277E814051C47EA2E097E9F9C0977&DivisionID=65&isArchived=1

eham has various reviews but there's no in between reivews.  Either people have had them for years and love them or they got them out of the box and they shortly died and they hate them.  The average rating there is 3.5/5.0

http://www.radioaficion.com/HamNews/reviews/yaesu-vertex/9429-ft-90r-reviewed-by-aa1gw.html

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anything about the radio.

However, be very cautious with those eHam reviews. Just like AR15.com there are people who are just malcontents that don't have a good word to say about anything. There are obviously a lot of people posting reviews that obviously don't know what they are doing or talking about. There is some good information to be had there, but like anything else, you have to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen a few in the field.  They run hot.  The HAMs I knew were aware of this and didn't ask too much from them and had no issues.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had that radio in my truck since they first came out with them.  Never had any problems with it.  Usually run it at 10 watts but have often run it for FM contesting at high power with no problems.  It is the radio I use for FM anytime I go roving in a contest.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have three or four around here somewhere. They work great but as you stated do not run all the time on high power. I have one that freaked out due to running the radio with low voltage for too long. It randomly loses its mind.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright thanks guys.  Arrived last night but I was on a 24 hour duty post then rolled right into work this morning.   Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
They are good Jeep radios. A shop around here used to sell a lot of them. Never really heard much anything bad about them (found some NIB ones laying around at the Duke City hamfest).
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice little radios. A bit dated - no computer interface, and with a small display and few buttons they are a chore to program. But you won't find a smaller full-power mobile rig anywhere. Parts are nearly impossible to find - mine died, and I got a surprising amount of money on eBay for what was left. Working ones tend to go for a decent amount of money, but I rarely see people sell them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one that was mounted on a bike-it tends to run the battery down, drawing juice even when powered down-with the radio off connect it to a power source with a pigtail.  See a spark?
I ended up with a V7A on my bike.
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If you got a FT-90 for a $100 you got a great deal. Usually these radios run $250+ from what I have seen.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had one for about 6 months and haven't had any issues with it. The heat sink is pretty small so like everyone has mentioned I try to keep it on medium or low power. The manual says it will do wideband RX but mine will only do 2m and 70cm, not sure if I'm missing something or what?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice little radios. A bit dated - no computer interface, and with a small display and few buttons they are a chore to program. But you won't find a smaller full-power mobile rig anywhere. Parts are nearly impossible to find - mine died, and I got a surprising amount of money on eBay for what was left. Working ones tend to go for a decent amount of money, but I rarely see people sell them.
View Quote

It is computer programmable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an FT-90R. I have it in the truck right now. I run it at Med-High power just off of the cigarette lighter plug and it doesn't get hot at all. I like it a lot.

I'd kill for a remote mounting kit (it has a removable faceplate) but they are rarer than hen's teeth...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top