Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 8:23:16 PM EDT
Damn Plasma giving me an S7 noise level.

I cant wait till I can afford to replace it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Her or the TV?

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate our TV too. It's not plasma, but it is loud.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]

I made the mistake of mentioning to the wife that the low voltage DC lights in the dining room make so much noise I have to quit operating.

Now she uses it as a summons.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It's always something.  My washing machine is hell on 17 and 20 meters.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#5]
have you tried some ferrite beads on the power cords to see if it helps the noise? never know, it might be worth a shot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Not yet, I am gonna ferrite the hell out of the house.

He fact that almost all of the lights are cfl doesn't help I guess
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not yet, I am gonna ferrite the hell out of the house.

He fact that almost all of the lights are cfl doesn't help I guess
View Quote

i havent noticed any noise on HF from our CFL's but then again, im hardly ever on HF anymore. my QTH has a shit ton of noise from the get so if there is any from them i dont notice it. LOL.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I walked around my house the other day with an AM radio (tuned of station) and I have some work to do
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm planning the nuclear option this weekend.  An extension cord from the fuse box outlet and shutting all breakers off.
Working one breaker at a time to figure out my noise issues.  I know there will probably be an astounding number of wall warts is use.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#10]
We disconnected cable TV a while ago. There is nothing to watch anyway. I used to like watching HD channels because they did not have as many commercials as on regular channels. Now it's just as bad. I don't want to pay to watch 10 minutes of a movie interrupted by 15 minutes of commercials and news full of communist propaganda. We only use the TV to watch Netflix couple of times per week.

I built my new shack 100 yards from the house for the same reasons you are experiencing. I can also run a legal limit amp without causing interference to any electronics in the house.  The lights In the new shack use only incandescent bulbs. It's nice and quiet over here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm planning the nuclear option this weekend.  An extension cord from the fuse box outlet and shutting all breakers off.

Working one breaker at a time to figure out my noise issues.  I know there will probably be an astounding number of wall warts is use.
View Quote
Let me suggest running a battery direct to the radio to take your "shack" equipment out of the equation.

Hell, I'd give you one if the shipping wasn't gonna be a bitch!

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
What kind of battery would you suggest to power a 100W rig?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
deep cycle marine battery.

But he's talking about just to "listen" so you can find your noise, so even a 7Ah SLA would work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Plus the battery will protect you from lightning.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top