Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  From the reading I've done about DMR, it's not possible to do HT to HT simplex because a repeater is required to synchronize the time slots.  Also, do DMR HT radios support those obsolete FM repeaters with CTCSS tones?  I've gone through the manual for a couple of Motorola HTs and I don't see how they are programmed.

I'll come out of the closet and admit that I'm becoming a D-STAR fan boy.  I've done a lot of research on Fusion, DMR and D-STAR and believe that D-STAR currently offers the best combination of features.  Fusion may get there, but I'm just not getting DMR.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  From the reading I've done about DMR, it's not possible to do HT to HT simplex because a repeater is required to synchronize the time slots.  Also, do DMR HT radios support those obsolete FM repeaters with CTCSS tones?  I've gone through the manual for a couple of Motorola HTs and I don't see how they are programmed.

I'll come out of the closet and admit that I'm becoming a D-STAR fan boy.  I've done a lot of research on Fusion, DMR and D-STAR and believe that D-STAR currently offers the best combination of features.  Fusion may get there, but I'm just not getting DMR.
View Quote

Most TRBO/DMR radios will do anything analog that any other radio will do (there are a couple of Motorola portables that are digital only), So, you can use analog repeaters with PL tones.

As far as simplex in digital mode, they will do that to. The radios can handle syncing the digital frames between themselves for simplex.

I use a XPR 4550 and 7550 on analog and digital on a regular basis.

And just to add my .02 cents, TRBO/DMR blows D-star out of the water (and yes, I own an Icom ID-880). Audio quality is much better, the FEC is far superior, and the layout/user interface is much more user friendly.

ETA: Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have about TRBO. More than happy to help you understand it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Most TRBO/DMR radios will do anything analog that any other radio will do (there are a couple of Motorola portables that are digital only), So, you can use analog repeaters with PL tones.

As far as simplex in digital mode, they will do that to. The radios can handle syncing the digital frames between themselves for simplex.

And just to add my .02 cents, TRBO/DMR blows D-star out of the water (and yes, I own an Icom ID-880). Audio quality is much better, the FEC is far superior, and the layout/user interface is much more user friendly.

ETA: Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have about TRBO. More than happy to help you understand it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You forgot about your 6350 that is with me in Las Vegas right now…and is going to be sent out to libertyhillguy once I get my new to me 6550 in.

The radio's were my problem from the get go. I always though Icom's VHF/UHF amateur gear was just junk and never really liked how cheap the microphones and radios felt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many thanks.  I live a little west of St. Louis, and there are NO DMR repeaters anywhere near me according to http://www.dmr-marc.net/repeaters.html, so I have no chance to experience it.  All of my "knowledge" comes from the Internet.  There are a few clubs close by that are installing Fusion, and one of the clubs I belong to is putting in a D-STAR with both 2m and 70cm, but I'm not hearing anyone talk about DMR.  Thanks for the IM offer.  You may live to regret it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was looking at the Connect Systems CS-701, then found the Vertex VX-539.
It would work for both DMR and for use as an extra duty radio.
Has anyone looked at this one on here by chance?
View Quote

I've had an EVX-539 for about a week now: it's great. We have a statewide, microwave linked DMR network here, and I needed a 100% squeaky clean legal Part 90 portable for some volunteer work. I'll post to the HT thread in a bit with more info, but for now:

-Software is free: get signed up at businessonline.vertexstandard.com and grab both the international and US version of the software. The international will let you program the Analog Wideband stuff for Amateur use.

-Aftermarket programming cables are expensive at $50, but cheaper than VS branded ones at $120+ and work fine. I got mine from The Antenna Farm.

-For the cost, the build quality is impressive. IP 57 weather proof, IS versions available.

-Audio quality is good: no complaints out of a group of Motorola diehards, I'm happy.

The price is steep new, but I just picked one up for $300 shipped with an extra battery, speaker mic, AA case and programming cable. I've thrown my lot in with the DMR folks for now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]
bump b/c my CS 700 just arrived.  got it for $140 from a guy selling his on QRZ.com.  

got it programmed up, but still don't quite fully understand it.  fair amount of traffic on it down here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice.

More and more DMR offering hitting the market. I think the multitude of radio options are what will make DMR win against System Fusion. It has already surpassed Dstar, and only because Yaesu is pretty much giving repeaters away is there even a battle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice.

More and more DMR offering hitting the market. I think the multitude of radio options are what will make DMR win against System Fusion. It has already surpassed Dstar, and only because Yaesu is pretty much giving repeaters away is there even a battle.

This showed up the other day…

Motorola is ceasing production of the first gen TRBO radios in the next month or two so used prices should come down significantly. Paid $225 for this one…only thing it didn't have with it was the dust cover for the accessory connector. Of course, I already had the CPS and programming cable…
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A DMR radio will do all the  things on analog any HT will.

They can do simplex. What they cant do is two timeslots in use at the same time on simplex, that takes a repeater to keep in sync.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A DMR radio will do all the  things on analog any HT will.

They can do simplex. What they cant do is two timeslots in use at the same time on simplex, that takes a repeater to keep in sync.

They can. Newer firmware solved this. And now with the gen 2 radios you can select tho is the radio in charge of timing control.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This showed up the other day…
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg586/zap_uh_lack/Mobile%20Uploads/BD88319E-2519-4F16-B6C8-B573D05A0950_zpsmwhvxxx3.jpg

Motorola is ceasing production of the first gen TRBO radios in the next month or two so used prices should come down significantly. Paid $225 for this one…only thing it didn't have with it was the dust cover for the accessory connector. Of course, I already had the CPS and programming cable…
View Quote

interesting.  looks very much like this Vertex Standard that a guy was selling on QRZ.  it was for a damn good price; a shame i hadn't seen it earlier.

is Yaesu copying Motorola on these?  they look an awful lot alike:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?473370-Yaesu-Vertex-Standard-UHF-ht-VXD-720&highlight=vertex
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish that there was SOME activity in the St. Louis area.  I'd love to try DMR, but there's no one to talk to.

Which radio would be a good entry level choice, given that I'll be using primarily for FM for now?  I do travel sometimes and may end up somewhere that DMR is available.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Motorola XPR-6550, Kirsun DP-770, or you may want to wait a bit for some of the new lower cost options that are supposed to start hiting the streets in a few months.

I would say CS-700, but if so I understand a new frimware is being tested (only a couple years late) and would wait until they are shipping with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish that there was SOME activity in the St. Louis area.  I'd love to try DMR, but there's no one to talk to.

Which radio would be a good entry level choice, given that I'll be using primarily for FM for now?  I do travel sometimes and may end up somewhere that DMR is available.

Motorola XPR-6550, Kirsun DP-770, or you may want to wait a bit for some of the new lower cost options that are supposed to start hiting the streets in a few months.

I would say CS-700, but if so I understand a new frimware is being tested (only a couple years late) and would wait until they are shipping with it.

I love my 6550 and I've only had it for a handful of days. The RSSI meter onboard is something I haven't yet seen on other brands of radios. They are all cool though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Dear SCW:

How are you?

This is Junny from TID, we are manufacturer of two way radio since 2000.

As Canton Fair and Hongkong Fair is coming soon, may I know will you attend?

If you come to china, welcome to visit our company/factory, we are in Guangzhou.

Now we have a lot of new models in our showroom waiting for you.

Below is one of our new DMR digital radio TD-9800, this radio can compatible with Motorola HYT DMR radio.

If you need any help in china, pls do not hesitate to contact me.

Viber/whatsApp/Wechat: 0086 13427642932

[email protected]

Best Regard!

Junny
View Quote

sorry pic wouldn't link....
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#19]
a listener just sent me this link that has the CSI for the best price I've seen...no affilation, but you could tell 'em Fo Time sent you just to make 'em

https://oklahomaamateurradiosupply.com/cs700
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top